Franco Manca

Sorehead

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You have tried the gowlett pizza, il mirto pizza,

> sorsi morsi pizza?

>

> And you don't rate any of them?

It's better on the lane, pizza and people watching.

Don't forget (pretty decent) pizzas at the Actress too.

Of all the things we need more of, pizza is almost bottom of the list. A halfway decent Vietnamese place would do a roaring trade, ditto Japanese, Spanish, Mexican. A good Chinese/dim sum place would probably do well.

Also continually amazed that none of the curry house owners have the initiative to reinvent themselves with regional/"home cooking" type food, ditch the tikka massala and double the profits. There must be a practically endless supply of Indian people in London who know how to cook amazing food.

probably shouldn't have singled out just pizzas, i mean food in general. i would feel so uncomfortable having a sit down meal surrounded by standing drinkers. i do realise that most pubs make there money through food however. sigh.

holloway Wrote:

> i think that any pub recommended for its pizzas

> should be avoided like the plague.

> pizzas should not be served in pubs. fact.

Pizzas should not be made of sourdough either in my opinion, but then I prefer the thin crust Italian wood-fired classics rather than the American versions that dominate here.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I know Fox... it's a paradox. I guess because many

> pubs are tied, and therefore forced to pay

> extortionate prices for drinks. Restaurants, on

> the other hand, can buy drinks at wholesale price.

And charge a bit more for them.

keano77 Wrote:

> Pizzas should not be made of sourdough either in

> my opinion, but then I prefer the thin crust

> Italian wood-fired classics rather than the

> American versions that dominate here.

Are you sure about that? I thought that sourdough was the traditional Naples style.

Neopolitan pizzas are protected under EU rules similar to french cheeses/wines as to ingredients and process. They do use a particular yeast but I've never seen them referred to as sourdough (a later American term?) and fermentation of the yeast bacteria (the main distinction with sourdough) does not appear to be particularly relevant to the process.

I could be wrong though and due to the taste imparted by the yeast it could fall under a loose description of sourdough

david_carnell Wrote:

> Really? Why on earth not?

>

> They are perfect pub food. Quick. Can be eaten

> with hands. Salty. Savoury. Maybe a bit of chilli

> heat.

>

> All encourages the punter to have another brewski.

> Perfect.

DC is spot on here IMO. I'm not someone that enjoys eating out in restraunts or pubs, I'm just not very foody, but sometimes you need something to keep the engine running (and soak up the booze), and pizza is ideal in those circumstances, for all the reasons DC gives, and the additional bonus that you can share one with a mate and split the cost.