best airport to get to from east dulwich

How long are you going for - if it's more than a day or two I would recommend the train as a far far less stressful option. Timewise you save ontravel and security checkins and then you arrive bang in the middle of Edinburgh

Costwise - you might pay a bit more for the train ticket but save on travel to and from airpirts and the associated faffage

I travel every year to Edinburgh and always get the train

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How long are you going for - if it's more than a

> day or two I would recommend the train as a far

> far less stressful option. Timewise you save

> ontravel and security checkins and then you arrive

> bang in the middle of Edinburgh

>

> Costwise - you might pay a bit more for the train

> ticket but save on travel to and from airpirts and

> the associated faffage

>

> I travel every year to Edinburgh and always get

> the train

Have you ever gone through City airport? I fly to Amsterdam from time to time and flew to Edinburgh this week, coming back from Glasgow tonight. My flight lands at 2150 and I confidently expect to be on a tube by five past ten. Checking in can be done half hour before you fly with no worries.

If you have a commuter travelcard the journey to the airport is included if we're counting costs. DLR to Canning Town, Jubilee to London Bridge and back to Forest Hill for me.

Ted Max Wrote:

> Gatwick. ED station - change at East Croydon,

> onwards to Gatwick Airport. Sorted.>

> Some will say London City, but your cheap flight

> options are more limited.>

> EDIT: If you're going early in the morning you

> might need to go into L Bridge and back out again.

Hi - did you know that the London Bridge train via EDulwich & Peckham Rye to East Croydon is being axed by Southern Rail in December? Something to do with releasing capacity for other trains not coming through our stations. This cut means that not only do we lose the direct connection to East Croydon and beyond to Gatwick, but East Dulwich and Peckham Rye lose two of their trains an hour to London Bridge.

Rail users who have begun to understand this particular change are raising opposition to it with various bodies and elected reps. It will also figure at the Southwark Rail Users Group (SRUG) meeting on Monday 17th November 6.30pm-8.30pm in the Bussey building 133 Rye Lane SE15 (see the details and discussion in the discussion thread *Are you a local rail user?*). Is anyone able to come and report back to the Forum on this and other local rail use matters?

Can't sing the praises of city airport enough. used it for the first time last week. Left Ed station at 1.16 for 3pm flight. was there by 2pm via LB, jubilee to Canning Town and DLR and was kicking my heels for more than half an hour. could have easily left 30 mins later. Free wi fi too.

compare that to a trip to Stansted the previous week - had to leave house at 5.30am for 8.30 flight.

Shame city airport only does short hops but well worth paying bit more for the luxury if possible.

Just one Kafka-esque caveat. The DLR station is in Zone 3 but for some reason I was not able to buy a travelcard just for zones 1,2,3 to get there. Still, at around a fiver each way it sure beats any other london airport in terms of getting there (and only 10 miles if you fancy cycling - free parking for bikes!)

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> I travel every year to Edinburgh and always get

> the train

I'd agree with this particularly over Christmas since it makes travelling with parcels and presents so much easier. Not least since you then don't have the issues with fragile/liquid gifts etc which I can get around on the way up there when I'm playing Santa but which most friends/family don't remember when giving me pressies! Book it early enough and you can get a first class return for about ?80 which is about the same as many flights.

Airport wise - Gatwick is better. Plus they don't seem to have the fog problems that often cause havoc at Heathrow in December. The last 2 years, BA have ended up cancelling most of their short-hauls immediately before Christmas

• 1 year later...
we told them to get easy bus/train to tottenham hale(?) then victoria line to brixton - and to call us just before they go under ground- then you can park at halfords in brixton and pick them up from there.or you can get the 37 from brixton? we are into minimal changes with heavy bags.

The Stansted express doesn't stop there though*. They'd need to know to get the right train, there is a slow one and a really slow one. Both stop at Tottenham Hale then its on to Liverpool St.

*doh don't quote me on that. Maybe it does now. Sorry.

40 bus to Gracechurch Street stop, 3 minute walk up Gracechurch St to Terravision coach stop outside Liverpool St station. The coach takes 50 mins to Stansted, and is 35% cheaper than Stansted Express (plus SE often has coach replacement at weekends so a waste of money). I did the trip in 1hr 15min last week

To answer the OP, Gatwick by a country mile. Fantastic service from E Croydon.

City to FH - surely quicker and cheaper to get the DLR to Canning Town, Jubilee to Canada Water, Overground to FH?

Stansted - the Express train is hopeless and absurdly expensive, so I always get the Terravision bus. It's driven and filled by lunatics, but very cheap and reliable. Then why not walk to Shoreditch High St station (5 mins back up road from where the bus drops you) and get the Overground if going that side? Irritating that SHS is in zone 1, but not irritating enough to get on buses to London Bridge!

The one utter nightmare I've never failed to sort out is Heathrow. Normally I go to Vict from P Rye, then Circle etc and then Piccadilly from Earls Ct or somesuch. Ghastly. Suppose Bakerloo from E&C to Padd and then Express is an option, but so pricey and poss not any quicker. Anyone got any tips?

Best for me for Paddington for Heathrow Express is London Bridge to Baker Street on Jubilee then very short interchange to Bakerloo for Paddington. As you say we've done all variations of these to death (!) but that's what I used to do when I was spending time working in Reading.

For Gatwick and for that matter in general for transport matters ED'ers would often do well to think of using Forest Hill.