Tropic of Dulwich

Fig trees will fruit here if they are the right sort (Turkish Brown is good) and if you constrict their roots. Old time gardeners used to plant them in a Gladstone bag.

And the Dunstan's Road cacti really are special. Whoever grows them is a local hero. Wondering if anyone knows the story behind the odd looking house in Dunstans Road with the clock set into the wall. Or maybe that should be a new thread? New here. Far to shy to start a whole new thread.

My old neighbour (on Peckham Rye) had parakeets in her trees. I thought I was hallucinating, but then I saw a report on the beeb about urban parakeets, apparently they're not that rare.

>>My old neighbour (on Peckham Rye) had parakeets in her trees. I thought I was hallucinating, but then I saw a report on the beeb about urban parakeets, apparently they're not that rare.<<<

Supposedly 10,000+ in the London area. I used to spot the odd one or two in Dulwich Park, but now we regularly get a few calling in the garden (Underhill Road) and had half a dozen on the apple tree on Saturday. It's fun watching them try to stare down the squirrels...

Back to the cactus on Dunstan's Road. I have had the privilige of meeting and having tea with the lovely couple who have lived there for years and years. Len is a cactus and succulent expert and if you are interested in them ( which I am for some peculiar reason) then he is a fantastic person to talk to. Haven't seen him for a while now but they are truly truly ED residents who aren't interested in house prices or foccacia or posh wine. They are Lovely people.They are the kind of people who make me proud to live in ED big time.

Is there some sort of ED rule book?

eg

people with interest in cacti = salt-of-the-earth darlings

people who like Italian bread and/or wine = loathsome bourgeoisie

I think we should be told before the revolution comes. Though obviously, people who bang on about house prices the whole time will be first up against the wall ;-)

blinder999 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> good point Louisiana. I bet no-one would catch you

> scoffing Italian-style flat bread or knocking back

> late nineteen-eighties vintage Chateauneuf du

> Pape.

Absolutely. Though I am a bit partial to a nice walnut loaf with a chunk of Montgomery cheddar and a bottle of stonking 15% Priorat.

:-S

Earlier in this theme, Doodles wrote, "Wondering if anyone knows the story behind the odd looking house in Dunstans Road with the clock set into the wall."

I used to live next door to said house and if you think the clock and the petrol pump in the front garden are unusual - in the back garden is a beautiful 35ft tall brick-built Clock tower! It chimed on the hour. A quirky yet wonderful Folly of East Dulwich.

Citizen