Tropic of Dulwich

CitizenED, I went to a party in that house/garden about 3 years back, and yes, isn't that tower cool! Can't tell you much about the house other than it's divided in to flats (And very nice ones at that). I actually hated the tw@t who's party it was, so didn't visit often! If was evicted not long after anyway :))

I live on Dunstans Road and it's truly is a hotbed of strange and brilliant customised gardens. The clock tower and cacti collection never fail to amaze our visitors. Can't wait for Mr Cactus Expert to pull down his artfully constructed greenhouse this summer, showing his prickly wonders in all their glory.

• 2 weeks later...
When I used to go to Waverley school almost 30 years ago the cactus' in the green house on Dunstans RD were there then and almost just as large although not busting out of there housing so they must be pretty old....never seen who owns them though....

I've just bought a deep purple flowered bougainvillea. At least that's what it says on the box it came in. I've always loved those plants, they are so colourful.

Not sure how well they'll do in sarf Lundun though. At present its in the conservatory. At some point I'll be brave and put it outside on the patio.

• 2 weeks later...
They are a pest! There are thousands of them across south east England. Rumour has it they all spring from a small number who escaped from a film set in the fifties. It could be an urban myth. They are damaging to other flora and fauna and make a hell of a racket. But I don't want to see them dead either. Nero

Youve got me feeling all nostalgic. How young do the pythons look!

True story about parrots - my aunt bought a parrot from an egg (seriously) about 18 years ago, twas amazing, very wide vocab etc. Anyways, she got given new pots n pans for christmas and they were coated with Teflon. After using them for the first time, the parrot fell off its perch and was gasping. She literally legged it to the vets, parrot in hand, vet gave it oxygen but it died after a few hours, apparently of Teflon poisoning, which is well known in Austrailia as lethal to birds!! This sounds abit like a Monty Python sketch, but tis indeed true. She was also presented with a ?700 bill for the care of the parrot. THE END

argibargy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone noticed the ever so tropical looking green

> parrots in Peckham Rye Park? I was suprised at

> first, but later learned the RSPB now recognise

> them as a permanent resident species in parts of

> southern england.

This type of parrot originates from the foothills of the Himalayas, so is not really tropical; hence its ability to thrive in a cool wettish climate like England. They aren't the most appealing of birds though, are they, with their piercing shriek and squawk?