Best local restaurant for more special dinner for two

I'd say Franlinks or The Crooked Well in Dulwich. Both have a good selection of food and are reasonably priced. Crooked Well has a nice bar space for a pre-dinner cocktail too. Franklins has a space but it's a bit crowded in the bar area whenever I go in there so we usually just head straight to the table.

As mentioned above, the http://www.thecamberwellarms.co.uk looks interesting and has good reviews (same people as The Anchor and Hope, Waterloo). The 'no bookings' policy might not work for a special dinner.

Toasted - OK but agree with others' views on portion size and I've never had a Wow! dish in there

Palmerston - Good food but always felt let down by the service

Angels and Gypsies - Pretty good but I'd rather take a 15 min trip to London Bridge and eat at Brindisa, which is one of my favourites in London

Been a fair bit to all of the above (apart from Artusi) and all are decent. Perhaps not intimate but food wise I'm still getting great food at The Patch. Despite what the odd moaner says on here its been consistent and delicious.

My current favourite is toastED in terms of consistently good food and service.

I have been to Artusi twice and think it is overrated - both times the starter was good but the main disappointing.

Franklins is consistently good food and service.

Palmerstons is also good.

The Crooked Well used to be my favourite (I used to go frequently) but had one mediocre meal there and friends who used to go all the time and regularly used to spend hundreds of pounds there once forgot to pay for one beer and they went running after them for it! So I haven't been back for over a year now.

I've only been to angels and gypsies once or twice quite a few years ago but remember it being good.

My favourites before living here were the Anchor and Hope and Great Queen St so I am v keen to try the Camberwell arms.

QueenMab Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Franklins or Crooked Well would be my top choices.

> I see no reason why Franklins wouldn't be a

> romantic venue, their dining room is lovely and

> tables nicely arranged.

Franklins IS great but if it's intimate you want it depends where you are seated. The row of tables for two has very closely spaced tables like Artusi and so aren't the best for private conversation. I do like it in there though and staff have always been really decent and lovely people.