Winter babies club (due Dec 2014, Jan/Feb 2015)

I'm not sure if me and the little man can make that, it's a little bit of a trek for us and so depends on where we find ourselves after lunch for his post-lunch runaround! Would love to meet up if we end up roaming that way. We are going to be in Dulwich Park after nursery on Friday (unless it's chucking it down?) if anyone else is around for a runaround.

See some of you at yoga on Saturday though?

x

Hi everyone, I hope you're all well?

Just thought I'd let you know I had my baby last night :) fortunately we ended up in the midwife led unit and as it was our second they also let us go home last night, yay! The intro to my toddler went well and we're settling into life well!

Look forward to seeing you all soon!

X

Congratulations! Fantastic news. And great you were in the birthing centre. Has anyone else heard that there's a problem with the birthing pools at Kings? Apparently they are taking at least four hours to fill so water births unlikely??

I also missed yoga this week - spent a fun weekend overnight in a&e with a concussed olive after she made a bid for freedom from her cot and landed on her head. All good now and should make it this Saturday if anyone is around for a coffee after. Next Thursday is my last day at work and can't WAIT! Hope everyone is well xx amy

Oh no poor Olive that sounds stressful hope all ok now.

Hope life with the first winter baby newborn is settling down happily.

I've had two of my Pilates preg clients give birth at the MLU in the past month and they both had water births with no problem and were very happy with their experience so I've not heard anything anecdotally about that, although my midwife rather worryingly said "ergh it's a disaster at Kings right now" rather flippantly at my last appointment!

Yoga last Saturday was lovely, the sunshine streaming through the windows. I will be there this Saturday but actually it's my birthday so I don't think I'll have time for a coffee afterwards as I think we're heading out for a day of fun with my parents looking after the toddler. But hope to see some of you there and I'll be there at the next couple of sessions after that as well.

I'm nearly finished work, finishing an editorial job today and teach my last class next Monday and I think I'm about ready to flop after that?!

Hope everyone is really well

x

Hi Amy. What you say about Kings's birthing pools is correct unfortunately - a midwife explained it all to me last week. Apparently the whole hospital had to have new water filters which slows down the water supply. The hospital had just invested in bigger birthing pools which now take four hours to fill! And they won't start filling them until they are sure the baby is coming. There are a couple of other moveable pools which are easier to fill I think but obviously there is a lot of demand. The midwife said that if you are absolutely set on a birthing pool it is better to move to Lewisham although that means having any other appointments there which is a bit inconvenient. It's still possible at King's as the problem has been on-going for about a year and plenty of people have used the birthing pools so it's not all bad news...

Jemma

Hello,

I heard similar things at the tour around the midwife led suites a few weeks ago. There the pools take an hour and a half to fill but she put the tap on and it was really a trickle. They did say that they were trying hard to sort out the pools on the labour ward - such a shame it sounds like there's still a problem. Perhaps we should take kettles and buckets??

Olivia

Hi

I am a little late to this, but may I join you please? I am due our second baby in mid Feb, and our youngest will be nearly 18 months by then (we are mad, I know). I'm currently at work 4 days a week due to finish end of Jan and would love to join you on meet-ups etc. if I can. I live in Herne Hill but spent a lot of time in E Dulwich after my first was born so would be nice to do the same when the second turns up.

Hi All,

I am having a home birth with Brierley and I had a chat with one of the midwifes on Monday and she said they are still taking on people for January birth! So if you fancy a homebirth give them a call. They are absolutely lovely and their after care is exceptional.

Unfortunately, I am still working finishing next Thursday but after that would love to meet up with the group.

Is anyone know who teaches the Saturday class at Yogarise? I hope it is still Yasmin, so I could go there on Saturdays and to Goose Green on Wednesdays.

I hope to see you soon.

Angela

Hi everyone, hope you're all keeping well!

Just a note on water births at Kings -the issue is the pools are taking 1-1.5 hours to fill. I had a water birth in the midwife led unit and it did take a while to fill (just over an hour), but this was fine because I wasn't ready to go into the pool until then anyway (they advise you don't get into the pool until you're further down the line or it's not as effective). So unless you have an extremely quick birth (in which case you're probably not going to make it into a pool anyway -and I am very jealous of you!!!), you should be ok as long as they get it going as soon as you get in. I'd highly recommend it -the room was much nicer than the normal rooms (last time I was on the labour ward in one of the blow up birthing pools), the birthing pool was nice and white, felt very clean and had a ledge bit I found really good to lean on. I had a really positive experience. And this was only 1 week ago so I hope everyone else will have a similar experience.

I'm not around much at the moment but looking forward to hearing news and hope to see everyone before Christmas or soon after!

X

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone had experience of ECV to turn a baby? I am booked in for 29th and really don't like the idea of it from what I have read online.

I have to be induced/C-Section at 38/39 weeks due to gestational diabetes so the options are either ECV and being induced or to go straight for the C-section. I'm not keen on the c-section option as I have a 20 month old to look after so for his sake would like to try ECV to turn the baby but it sounds stressful for the baby and doesn't seem to have a very high chance of success...

In the meantime I will be trying acupuncture, sticking my legs in the air and just about anything else that might help but just wondering if I am over-worrying about the ECV?

Thanks all and hope you have lovely Christmasses. Look forwsrd to catching up and meeting some more new faces after the holidays.

Jemma