Owner of The Bishop opens new pub in Herne Hill

Oh, you learn something new every day :))

Now I think of it, I have no idea why I thought it was scram, as I've never said that in my life :-S

Anyway, back to the point Sean, I know what you mean it would be nice to get some food in the CPT, but there's no where for them to put a kitchen really.....

Speaking of which, anyone been to The Alleyns Head for a meal recently? I used to really like the food in there, but haven't been for a couple of years.....

I'd ignore that "NO" this and "No" that board out the front, it was put there a few years ago, when they were really trying to be something that they're not. The current guys running it are an ace bunch, I can't speak for them, but I suspect they'd be cool with people eating outside in the summer, as long as the mess was tidied....

Might have a chat to them about it, as it would be good for them to know what the public say, as they're trying to do their best in a pub who's owner obviously doesn't care too much about it because it hasn't turned out to be the trendy pub she'd dreamed of.... Serves her right for buying a back street boozer if you ask me!

But the staff there are the friendliest bunch you'll meet in ED!!!

Personally I rather liked Ganley's, great pub to watch sport in and some great characters - like the man with unfeasably large shoes, and the sweary man. Turning it into another Bishop is a shame as the Commercial and the Prince Regent are already "gastro" pubs and are not better for it in my opinion. The regent has become a place of 3 wheel prams and the stench of baby excrement pervades the place on a weekend.

I agree DirtyBox - I've nothing against the odd Gastropub but why does every single pub have to become one? What's wrong with a down to earth boozer? Why is it impossible to play pool or darts anymore? I despair.

And Ganleys did the best chips in Herne Hill - much better than the over-hyped (and priced) Ollies.

Thought I'd throw in a little controversy there!

:)-D

Yes, I have bought Ganley's. Yes, the 'door supervisors' are a license stipulation. No, you should not be scared to visit fri & sat evening (although it is always very busy). No, it is not full of braying rahs (the bishop gets the most diverse and balance crowd out of all my pubs). No, i am not worked into the ground. 'Ganley's' (new name not quite decided) will open 29th may and will have an onsite brewery. I ain't seen one of them in starbucks....

Well if we're going to get picky, how come the Bishop is the Bishop and not the chap who enjoyed the hospitality at the Irish embassy too much and then got a bit of a headache and went home, doesn't remember much about it, but was feeling a bit off you know, nothing to do with too much Jamesons honest guv, it's a fair cop.

On second thoughts The Bishop is a bit snappier.

I'm gutted that the Brockwell Tavern (for that is it's proper name, not Ganley's) is becoming another gastro pub. And a bit sad that this Scott chap hasn't answered the questions about why everywhere has to be the same.

The Brockwell Tavern was a great pub and scene of two great moments in my family's history. 1 - I watched the Uefa Cup final there that Celtic only just lost to Jose Mourinho's Porto. 2 - It was the venue the one and only time my nan got drunk about 45 years ago.

Why not call the re-opened pub the Brockwell Tavern to keep the links with the past?

I can't agree with the notion that everywhere is becoming the same

Even along Lordship Lane where a lot of the pubs have been refurbed - I wouldn't say any 2 are "the same" or even that similar. Of the pubs that Scott already runs I have been in 2 - The Castle in Camberwell and The Bishop in ED - and they are not the same as each other at all

It is true that old school pubs are being replaced - and many people would say that they were "all the same". Not true of course but it depends on perspective. Old School or New School what I want in a pub is alcohol, prefereably something to eat, somewhere to read my paper and hopefully meet some good people. I can do that in The Bishop, or, giving up the food option, I can do that in the CPT or even the (Dulwich) Castle - a proper old school pub. Can't do it in the Plough or theold Foresters tho... I know from trying

But once a pub becomes part of your life then any change is never easily accepted - but we have no choice but to move forward and give it a go

hear hear (or here here, I'll have to find out one day) Sean

The world keeps turning. The legendary (honest) Black Squirrel* in Letchworth has had a makeover and been named something innocuous. Apparently I can't buy drugs in their or get shivved anymore, most disappointing.

But the world continues despite these world shattering events. It is sad to see places change when you have memories associated, but hey, there you go.

*Letchworth is the only place in Britain with black squirrels, though rumour has it some have escaped to Stevenage recently, the fools!!

As a parliamentary cheer, hear him, hear him! is first recorded in the late 17th century and continued into the 19th; the reduction to hear! or hear, hear! occurred by the late 18th century.

However, the use of the verb hear as an imperative meaning listen! is older: a notable example is the parliamentary-sounding Then cried a wise woman out of the city, Hear, hear (King James Bible, 2 Samuel 20 verse 16).