Could we ban single use carrier bags in ED?

They give you another free one - and another :) great for me

Not for the planet as I am a bag breaker.

I give the broken one back - maybe it goes ... to landfill.

KalamityKel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What happens with the clever bags one buys to use

> when shopping, in place of these dreadful plastic

> bags, when they break and are no longer of use

> (except in some cases - depending on the quality

> of the stitch - used as a scratching mat for the

> cat)? Where does one recycle them? Which bin

> does it go in?

Louisa Wrote:

> I'm with Penguin here, banning anything is a

> slippery road into dictatorship. I for the life of

> me still struggle to understand why smoking was

> banned in pubs all those years ago. Many people

> still enjoy the smoke filled atmosphere of a

> proper boozer, all taken away from us because of

> some ridiculous politically correct dictatorial

> ban aimed at harming the very institutions which

> made money at the heart of the community, the pub.

> If you ban plastic bags what's next? Shall we ban

> religious freedom? Shall we ban people smiling in

> public places? How about alcohol? Ridiculous. No

> I'm on the side of free plastic bags,especially in

> a day and age when the high street is struggling,

> I would allow free parking in town centres and

> free plastic bags in shops and supermarkets to

> increase footfall.

>

> Louisa.

So staff who worked in pubs, should be obliged to be poisoned by other peoples second hand smoke, regardless of wether they smoke or not. Along with anyone else, just so a group who had elected to do it to them selves could carry on regardless

On that note. Isn't it time we put children, from disadvantaged soci-economic backgrounds, up chimney's again. What with the well heeled being able to afford wood burners and the likes. I'm sure there'd be a massive upswing in employment for that group

And dancing bears, now that would be great to see again, and the cute monkeys on leads. Actually, bear baiting in general is due for a come back, were it not for those sill law makers sticking their snooty noses in

It sure beats living in a dictatorship or a cul-de-sac

Louisa Wrote:

> If you ban plastic bags what's next? Shall we ban

> religious freedom? Shall we ban people smiling in

That would be awesome though. Since I moved to ED if I had a penny for every time I got stopped by miscellaneous god botherers I'd retire. I do support opinions and free speech mind you, as long as they are supported by evidence and reason.

ED could be the Totnes of London. Let's ban motorised vehicles, plastic bags, smoking (including in your own home) alcohol and anything else which potentially we as the SE22 postcode area find offensive or believe may be so in the future. A referendum every time we want to ban something. Majority vote means it's banned. Let's see what sort of economy we are left with by the end of it. And oops, looks like the sea level is still rising and the suns about to explode only I'm also now forced to carry the entire weeks shop home in my bare hands from Iceland. Win win situation it seems.

Louisa.

Well you didn't answer the question I first posed to you on this thread so it's all relative I suppose. Let's not get onto the topic of Totnes, because certain posters will no doubt go down the 'chav' route to describe anywhere outside of the ED bubble. Who needs perspective anyway? Apparently we are about to save the world by banning plastic bags.

Louisa.

dinner party 'greenies' are the worst kind.

You think you're 'doing your bit to save the planet' by banning plastic bags from SE22...bahahahaha....

spend a day in any tier 1-3 city in China when you cant see 10 yards in front of you because of the smog; then tell me that by washing out your marmite jars for the recycling you're making a difference....

Wow, I'll put my head back under the covers again!

I realise that generating a sustainable community is so much more than carrier bags. But doing ANYTHING is a chain of doing really really small things which add up. This post is just about one single issue. Not using plastic bags wont save the planet, but using hundreds of them in year and lobbing them in the bin wont help.

And anyway, supplying less plastic bags will save ED businesses money. Makes economic sense.

Glad to hear loads of us reuse bags already. Bring on the ban.

Educational video for all those freedom lovers preferring choice to "dictatorship" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZnw-d_Axy8

Unless I forget, if I'm shopping it's usually with our own bags which have been reused countless times. I just see plastic bags as a waste to be avoided. It may well be helping the environment using less of them but my gut feeling is that we're just bloody lazy not to bring our own bags if we are going shopping. It also may do some good in the short term. In the long term the planet will die because the sun will. I suppose it's a case of how comfy the place is while it's still here.

Agreed some comparisons are OTT but any thread with a title that begins: "Could we ban..." (with, admittedly, an added irrational rage here at the smugness of the 'we' as though we all think the same things) deserves to be answered with a resounding "No we xxxxing couldn't!"

I really don't care if they ban plastic bags in Lordship Lane because I can't afford to shop in such places anyway.

As far as supermarkets are concerned, unless they are able to give away free recyclable ones which would be excellent, they couldn't possibly do away with carrier bags.

If you have a car, no matter, but if you don't?

I sometimes go to the supermarket after work. It's often last minute so I'm hardly going to take a shopping bag with me first thing in the morning.

Plus I travel everywhere by bus so how are people like myself supposed to transport shopping if bags are not readily available?

aquarius moon Wrote:

> I really don't care if they ban plastic bags in

> Lordship Lane because I can't afford to shop in

> such places anyway.

I know - sky-high Co-op prices and that 'Iceland' - a yuppie paradise!

Bit ironic when The Major Supermarkets seem to support the idea of charging for Plastic Bags,

whilst doing very little to reduce Packaging.

Whereas Plastic Bags Can be used again, very little can be done with packaging.

I have a couple of Hessian type bags that I have used for several years. Tesco Green Bags.

Occasionally when out on Lordship Lane I pop into the Co-op, I have to resort to Plastic Bags.

I save all by bags and when they have built up (Also Store bags when buying clothes and other goods)

I take them to the dump when I need to recycle other things. Building Material, Batteries, Printer Ink etc.)

There is a bin at Devon Street Re-cycling Depot for plastic bags.

Recycling IS important and YES TheCat ? washing out your marmite jars for the recycling does make a difference....

Food Waste is a much bigger problem especially for those living alone.

Many things are packaged for two people. With the warning. Once opened use immediately.

BTTOA.. Buy Two, Throw One Away.

Foxy

tfwsoll Wrote:

> >>>Plus I travel everywhere by bus so how are

> people like myself supposed to transport shopping

> if bags are not readily available?

>

> Lots of people travel by bus and take a shopping

> bag with them - I don't see the logic??

Read my post properly!

I said I sometimes go shopping straight from work. It's spontaneous depending on when I finish so unlikely to take a bag with me.

So if the supermarket doesn't provide bags & I don't have a car, without bags it'll be difficult getting the shopping home on a bus. I can only fit so much inside my underwear/on my head!

That's the logic.