Ice bucket challenge

Louisa

I get the annoyed at the ice bucket challenge thing, i really don't get what you're doing here, but you're within your rights to disseminate mean-spirited antiscience misinformation.

If you want to prevent funding to reasearch an illness because a brief fad annoys you then bravo.

As otta might say "Slow clap"

On Facebook this evening I saw 4 relatives of mine had posted videos doing the challenge, much to my surprise . My brother who has prostate cancer, the partner of another brother, whose brother died two weeks ago from cancer (she was giving her donation to a cancer charity), a cousin and a nephew.

I was just glad to see my brother looking in good form given I haven't seen him in a couple of years and may never do again. So as silly as it it, I give it a 'like'.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So you don't think that social media has made

> > people pretty vain? Selfies anyone?

>

> I hate selfies with a passion.

If my selfies looked like yours Jah I'd hate selfies too.

>I noticed Pamela Anderson refused to do it because of the level of animal testing they do. Apparently she's quite the

>animal rights campaigner.

Its a prinipled stance and I can respect that, though by the same token i think she should refusse any drug, medical procedure or treatment that resulted from animal testing. Which would be most of them.

She can probably ditch those boobs for starters.

Haha, yeah I wondered about the plastic surgery too.

Although the point she was making is that they seem to do a lot of unnecessary animal testing, very little of which moves forward. I don't know how typical that is, but she seemed to be suggesting it wasn't.

The article Jah posted is from a pretty horrendous American christian website. There's another article on there that cliams it's a satanic ritual, and any christian who has done the bucket should pray for forgiveness.

And the opposition to embryonic stem cell research represents the kind of narrow minded stupidity that we really should have left behind last century.

>There's another article on there that cliams it's a satanic ritual, and any christian who has done the bucket should pray

> for forgiveness.

I did see a screen shot of someone doing it but go on to say that there is no cure, however jesus is the means to salvation and nominates some people to take jesus into their hearts.

funny or tragic, you decide!

I may have been a little hasty in posting but here's something along the same lines without the Jesus Jones. As of 2012, ALSA has directed only 7.71% of its budget to Research. And not only that, 63.63% of their budget for the fiscal year was dedicated to "Other Program Activities"

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag237/jahlushhead/1919653_10204262902915173_703574270932888556_n_zps2ad4a6b0.jpg

I'm not going to guess what those "other program activities" are. Ok, administrative cost? 10.54% and 18.11% for fundraising. What does this mean? That our of the $100 I would give to this organization $7.71 of it would go to research, that's about as much as a test tube costs.

I'm glad you don't have the opportunity to experience what it is like to live with ALS or to care for a family member who has the disease, otherwise it would make perfect sense to you that the greater part of your $100 goes towards making the life of these people a bit better. Research is obviously important (and it is funded by various sources, not just charities) but not the only thing a charity can do for those who are affected.

I'm glad I don't either. Can you be sure of where that $100 goes though? Really certain? I do give to charity frequently and who I give to is my business. Just don't need to stick a bucket of ice water over my head beforehand and broadcast it to everyone over the internet.

A quick look at ALSA website shows that although snazzy pictures of test tubes suggest research is what they do, and they do state that their goal is to eradicate it for good, most of their resources, especially wages, go into outreach. ie helping families cope.

I guess you can't be sure exactly what goes on unless you work there and noone is suggesting this should be something you or indeed i should donate to, but they look pretty legit to me.

This thread is surreal.

First, the entire challenge was attacked because some posters' facebook friends are vain (why do you have vain friends?).

Then, the entire challenge was attacked because the people donating don't really care about ALS. The evidence for this is that they didn't donate before to this specific charity and therefore are selfish bastards (rediculous)

Now, people are actually attacking the charity itself!

How about, its a very successful fundraising scheme that has raised awareness and an incredible amount of money in a very short time. A large part of its success is that it allows people to have a bit of fun by making themselves look a bit silly while doing a bit of good for a charity. That combined with the social / participatory nature of challenging those you know to get involved has allowed it to rapidly spread contributing to its success.

Just lighten up. People having fun while raising money for a charity is really not worthy of this type of vitriol. Nothing about this is unusual-- people dare each other all the time, people sponsor charities when people complete challenges all the time, people share what they are doing with their friends on facebook all the time.