Ice bucket challenge

Louisa

It's not vanity. People just like having fun and being part of something. Why tapping into that for a good cause is causing such irritation shows what a miserable lot you are!!

People always raise money through taking on a challenge- look at how much the marathon raises. The main difference is this allows for participation through nomination. I haven't done it but I think it's great.

Those are crazy syllogisms.

People in general are very charitable in my experience. I give to several large and small charities, run for two different charities each year and also donate items and I think that is pretty standard. I know much more charitable people. However, that doesn't mean I have to hate the Ice Bucket challenge.

I don't give yo the charities I support so that I can feel superior to others...

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So you don't think that social media has made

> people pretty vain? Selfies anyone?

People are vain- though the people I know that come across the vaintest on social media are actually insecure. Social media itself is just an outlet

I agree.. Selfies - self indulgent. Ice bucket challenge - self indulgent. I see people singing their own praises all day, every day now. Then all the expected replies, lol, lol. Is there just a constant need for a pat on the back? Sorry, this is all about the individual, not the charity, or more importantly the cause.

They're mostly attention seeking f*%#$ who want to be on social media showing off. It's easy to donate to charity if you really cared, but you don't do you? You people just want to get as many "likes" and "comments" because you're insecure and lack personality. How about saving some water and running a marathon for charity. Now that does take blood sweat and tears and doesn't mean thousands of gallons of water are being wasted when people are dying in drought ridden parts of our planet.

Louisa.

0/10 indeed! Most people support a couple of charities that mean something special to them and then they support their friends and family when they try to raise money for their own causes through races or whatever.

To say that people don?t really care because they haven?t historically supported every worthy cause that exists in the world is utter tosh.

Also, I haven?t seen a single video where ALS wasn?t prominently mentioned. To tarnish the entire thing because YOUR Facebook friends might be knobs is a bit daft. Particularly given how much money its raised.

Louisa Wrote:

> They're mostly attention seeking f*%#$ who want to

> be on social media showing off. It's easy to

> donate to charity if you really cared, but you

> don't do you? You people just want to get as many

> "likes" and "comments" because you're insecure and

> lack personality. How about saving some water and

> running a marathon for charity. Now that does take

> blood sweat and tears and doesn't mean thousands

> of gallons of water are being wasted when people

> are dying in drought ridden parts of our planet.

>

> Louisa.

motorbird83 Wrote:

> 0/10 indeed! Most people support a couple of

> charities that mean something special to them and

> then they support their friends and family when

> they try to raise money for their own causes

> through races or whatever.

> To say that people don?t really care because they

> haven?t historically supported every worthy cause

> that exists in the world is utter tosh.

>

> Also, I haven?t seen a single video where ALS

> wasn?t prominently mentioned. To tarnish the

> entire thing because YOUR Facebook friends might

> be knobs is a bit daft. Particularly given how

> much money its raised.

>

Where did I mention every worthy cause in the world? I clearly stated if you donate whilst doing this challenge then fair play, if you read my earlier posts properly you'll realise I am aiming this entirely at the nut jobs who get a kick out of doing something because all their friends and family are doing it, and then go on to not donate a penny towards a worthy cause.

You haven't seen a single video where ALS wasn't prominently mentioned, I guess you've seen every single video on social media then? An awful lot of people are doing it just for fun and no other reason, hence my anger. What's all this 0/10 ball crap anyway? I'm entitled to an opinion, and I personally can think of better ways to raise funds for charitable purposes without potentially encouraging a frenzied bunch of hysteric sheep who do stuff cos everyone else does it and not have ANY understanding of charity or what the disease is about. I suggest, anyone who has the balls to do this "just for fun" WITHOUT making a donation, runs a mini marathon "just for fun" too. But that's probably asking too much isn't it? Wouldn't expect lazy social media junkies to wanna put themselves out too much, especially if it means actually donating at the end of it.

Louisa.

Fair enough. I agree people should be donating. I think most people are (hence $80m has been raised in a month). Some aren't-- I haven't personally come across any but that might just be the people I know.

However, to rip the entire thing to shreads because some people are idiots still seems daft.

As someone who knows only too well how devastating Motor Neurone Disease (i.e. ALS) is, I can only say that any publicity and the tiniest donation is great. My sister, who is only 36 and has been battling this horrible illness for years, is extremely pleased with the amount of awareness this "campaign" has raised, whether people have donated or not, or done it for exposure/indulgence or not, or whatever their motives are - she is not judging or moaning about the format of the campaign, the amount donated or how much knowledge is shared on the disease or the charities involved. I guess it's a "anything better than nothing" situation, especially considering that at present there is no cure nor prevention for MND, although the research has made progress in the last few years.

Here is the link to the Motor Neurone Disease Association for those who want to find out more. http://www.mndassociation.org/ ?2m has been donated so far with this challenge thing.

Thanks

The whole thing has turned from a decent enough attempt to raise cash for a good cause into a ghastly narcissistic freakshow, combining the worst elements of social media self-love and celebrity worship with armchair feelgood clicktivism

You might want to take away that link jah

anything that is scathing about scientific "research"(sic) then goes on to sh!t pseudoscience all over the place, suggesting coconut oil and a 'ketogenic' diet can help with a terrible debilitating genetic condition.

Plus 50% admin and fundraising is pretty typical for any charity larger than Mrs Miggins' Save The Palm Tree on the East Dulwich Roundabout type charity, so sounds like the money is being spent well regardless of an adminnistrators' wages, probably *because* they got in a good one.

Stem cell research, well that's down to the individual to judge though I have no issues with it, though its disingenuous to HEADLINE ABORTED FETUSES then have a disclaimer that yeah its only ever been one, and they grow all the stem cells in cultures from that moment on.

Pretty filthy stuff undermining a good cause like that.

Generally as a rule avoid any website with the word Truth in the url is my advice