Ice bucket challenge

Louisa

I won't be nominating anyone. And yes, I've been nominated but won't be participating.

It may be a good cause but if & when I can afford to donate to a charity I will do so.

It will be a charity of my choice & I will not feel the need to pour a bucket of ice over my head in order to contribute.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This short piece in Forbes summarises it all

> nicely:

> http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2014/08/29/

> the-als-ice-bucket-challenge-has-raised-100m-but-i

> ts-finally-cooling-off/

And it puts to bed the myth that people are choosing IBC instead of donating. 100m is a lot of money.

Personally Im not sure I like the concept of one charity benefiting by such a large margin through what Forbes refer to as hitting a sweetspot. Moat people only have a certain amount of charitable cash per annum. And im glad it's now being used as a vehicle to benefit a wider range of causes.

You may like to be aware that the 3 people at the top of the tree of the ALS charity earn almost ?500,000 between them. Only 28% of the monies collected go to actual research. There is a list on the web somewhere that informs as to which charities pass on the greatest percentage of donations.

FFS. Not this shite again.

How much do you think charity bosses usually get paid? Why is a CEO of a charity worth less than a mid-level banker or lawyer, for instance?

As well as research, ALSA fund education and patient support... these things are not important? Because they're not research, you think the money is wasted?

I think the word voluntary is the clue to what i'm refering to, I have no wish to go off topic EP, I find the contradiction of charities involved with forced workers (jsa) changes the meaning of charity for me, but heh thats another gripe not really related to this thread,

TE44 Wrote:

> Jeremy do you also believe that management for

> charities should recieve bonuses, when charities make more

No, because there's more to running a charity than fundraising. You can't judge the success on purely financial terms (although I don't have a huge issue with pay based on revenue if that is the sole objective of the role).

But it takes a certain type of person with certain skills to lead a large, successful organisation, and it would be naive to think that you could employ someone like that for 40K a year or whatever.

And as it goes, I also have no problem with compulsory work experience for those on JSA provided the person is fit and able. 4 week placements of only 30 hours per week? Hardly slavery.

Its the forced I don't like it takes away the meaning of voluntary work, especially when it comes to the sick

having to work, being sanctioned when there illness gets in the way, not very charitable supporting this workfare.

https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/category/welfare-reform-2/esaatos/

As for able bodied working for under ?2 an hour who knows they might get lucky and work there way up

to management level.

Your complaint doesn?t appear to have anything to do with ALS Association but rather with a UK government policy which forces able bodied benefits seekers to do charity work if they can?t find paid employment and the maladministration of the stated policy.

Why you are making this about pay for permanent members of staff of an American charity (that isn?t subject to this UK policy) is impossible to understand.

You are being absurd.

I confess I was all huffy and sneerish about it for a long while, but have to be honest now and and say that seeing lots of your actual real friends doing it was quite entertaining. And just as (as they say) dogs look like their owners, so too are buckets delivered and received in the manner befitting the personality. Entertainment in the minutiae and all that.

Surely 'bucket high tide' has been reached over this last sunny weekend though? I'm already looking forward to the next mildly risible, mostly harmless social media phenomenon.

Generally, as many will know of course, charidee employees here in the UK - whether at the top or base or their particular greasy pole - get pay which is comparably crappy compared to comparable positions in the private sector and face a certain amount of snootiness if they try to cross over as well.. so I don't begrudge them anything.

LondonMix Wrote:

> Your complaint doesn?t appear to have anything to

> do with ALS Association but rather with a UK

> government policy which forces able bodied

> benefits seekers to do charity work if they can?t

> find paid employment and the maladministration of

> the stated policy.

>

> Why you are making this about pay for permanent

> members of staff of an American charity (that

> isn?t subject to this UK policy) is impossible to

> understand.

>

> You are being absurd.

I was merely replying, I already said I had no wish to go off topic, but the thread had moved to questioning

charities, I was not refering to a particular one. It happens to be logical for me to connect everthing I feel

when looking at charities, it would be absurd not to,

I Am Not a fan, But most of the people I know who have done it are certainly not vain and were just joining in with something they thought was fun, usually with their kids, all donated to charity, normally one of their choice, most to Macmillan or other charity involved with cancer because of myself being a victim once or they had a member of their family who has. Anything that jolts people into giving what they can to charity is a good thing IMO.

My young niece and nephew wanted to do it, aged 6 & 8, and gave some of their pocket money to a local charity their school has been collecting for, so a good thing I feel.

Only thing I don't like is when people deride people who refuse to do it after being nominated, this is emotional blackmail, charity should be a choice, and no one should feel compelled too if they can't afford it, or don't want too.

I was nominated by my niece and nephew, I politely declined, but to reward them for giving to a charity I have offered to donate some on their behalf to their schools one, which they were chuffed about...i've just ignored the other nominations i've had.