Ice bucket challenge

Louisa

It seems to have spread to various charities now. I saw one video of a woman having a real go at MacMillan because she'd shaved her head for them a week before, but thought it was disgusting that they were now trying to jump on this and take money from another charity. I've also seen several people saying they're donating to Mind.

So it seems to be more of a do it and just donate to a charity of your choice kind of thing now.

I like Patrick Stewart's video best. He writes a cheque, then takes two cubes from an ice bucket and pours whiskey over them before raising his glass to the camera. The point being that when this challaenge originated, the idea was that you were nominated, and you donated OR did the ice bucket as a punishment for being tight.

That's true-- before it was do it OR donate. I think its good that the people participating in the challenge organically changed it to do it AND donate, which kind of undermines the entire argument that those doing it are not charitable...

People actually changed the rules so that the challenge would raise more money and still people are complaining about them...

The British Red Cross and UNICEF must be squirming in their seats watching all that clean water go to waste. I'm all for charity and think its brilliant they've raised so much awareness and money but I do feel it's a slight kick in the face to fund one charity by wasting a resource that another charity is so desperately trying to provide.

You gotta love Patrick Stewart.

That's depressing but at least I can take refuge in the fact that I'm American and they seem to know. Still appear those who do know that its for charity are donating which is still a large number of participants (clutching at straws to defend Brits)...

this thread has gone fully cycle- from outrageous OP, through the angy retort, bluster, lies,counter lies, kidology, class strawmen, sweeping generalisations and finally is settling on a near balanced reality. Just chuck in some cats, a sprinkling of hipters and a touch of waitrose and you have all of ED contained in one succint thread.

I liked the Patrick Stewart one too and now I've been nominated (arghhhh) think I will do the same.

Some of the videos are funny and most I have seen have explicitly mentioned the charity/cause first, urging people to donate. I see similarity between this and the no-make up selfie, yes its sad that charities should have to go to great lengths or gimmicks to encourage donation but I think its simply making best use of the *sheep-like mentality of human nature (which is ideal for spreading the word far and wide on social media).

Didn't like the one with the wee toddler swearing although I know a lot of people found it hilarious.

*not sure this is the right word I'm looking for but I can't think at the moment.

http://qpolitical.com/ice-bucket-challenge-end-like-rest-gotta-see/

Stop hating so much about things that you don't even have to watch. This has been a phonomenally successful campaign and long may it continue to raise the much needed money. I haven't done it and don't want to do it but I would to help this cause. Honestly people your whining is more painful than your so called friend's vanity. And as for the money going towards operational costs of charities, they couldn't run without the amazing people that work their nuts off coming up with ideas for fundraising events or the behind the scenes people that are NEEDED to run the charities.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've also seen a similar breakdown, but it's

> meaningless unless compared directly with other

> charities.

>

> Red Cross allocate 32% of their expenditure to

> similar costs, which is broadly in line with the

> ALSA.

Ironically my IBC donation was in aid of the Red Cross.

Most people now are not doing an ALS donation but choosing their own charity so I don't know why the big focus is on ALS anymore.

As for people pooh poohing it and doing neither an IBC or a donation - that's your call but don't slag off the people who think this is a fun way to make a charitable contribution.

Some people seem to want to take an opposing stance to what's popular - I suspect that's an illness in itself - I just haven't found a name for it yet, ideas welcome.