Crown & Greyhound

reds

I went in with a relative a few months back who has always had some odd fascination with the village. We had a dinner there and it was bloody awful, small portions, cold, waited for ages to be served and when we were found them rude and quite aggressive really. To top it all the bill was pretty steep, so I didnt leave a tip and didnt say goodbye. Sounds childish but it made me feel better anyway.

Louisa.

I have always loved the Crown and Greyhound though I think some of the comments on the bar staff are a bit harsh. I think the problem is that there seems to be a large turnover of staff so there always seems to be someone new at the bar. I guess it's not their fault if it takes them a little time to learn the ropes. There is one very attractive lady who works there who is very polite and has a lovely attitude. She is much older then the rest of the bar staff so I'm not sure if she is the manageress? My main problem with this pub is kids running around in there. That is always guaranteed to give me the hump...not with the kids themselves but with the stupid parents who let them do it.

jimmy two times Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

My main problem with this pub is kids running around in there. That is always guaranteed to give me the hump...not with the kids themselves but with the stupid parents who let them do it.

Put your tin hat on Jimmy and prepare for some abuse. For what it's worth though, I agree with you.

I agree with you Jimmy two times, last time i went in there i sat in the conservatory to get away from all the kids in the main area. Then most of the kids from the main area started running away from their families and into the conservatory screaming at ear piercing levels!! There were some really well behaved kids in there but they looked pretty sad to be sat in a pub to be honest.

There was one little girl who was crawling all over the floor the poor waitress had to climb over her with several plates and the mum just watched and ignored... The little girl was then lying across the floor head down not moving, by the bar on the walk way to the back area. As the place was so busy people coming in had to step over her, only it got so busy people at the back of the queue didnt realise she was there and she got a kick in the head poor thing. The guy felt really bad as she started crying. So while there might be family orientated pubs, i think parents should stil be responsible for their children!

I'm sure a child lying on the floor is an isolated incident.

If I was young/single I'd probably give the Herne a miss, or at least not complain about children when there are hundred other pubs to go to.

The Herne has a large back garden, do childrens parties, have built a climbing area for kids therefore you'd expect lots of kids.

The advantage of the Herne is that it is an enclosed space and parents feel their children are relatively safe there. Of course children should be supervised at all times but sometimes kids go off in different directions.

When we go with other parents we usually have a rota with parents taking turns to supervise on the garden area so as many can enjoy their meal as possible.

Its a great pub, set up for families during the day (no kids after 8pm I think). Parents don't get out much so please don't be too critical. With babysitters at ?7 per hour its nice to get out during the day for lunch where the kids can enjoy themselves.:(

I'm conused now, are we talking about the Dog or The Herne? I was going to go to the Dog tomorrow evening but if it is that awful then maybe I will not bother. I did not think that kids were allowed in the dog - only in the outisdey bit?

sazzle Wrote:

> There was one little girl who was crawling all

> over the floor the poor waitress had to climb over

> her with several plates and the mum just watched

> and ignored... The little girl was then lying

> across the floor head down not moving, by the bar

> on the walk way to the back area. As the place was

> so busy people coming in had to step over her,

> only it got so busy people at the back of the

> queue didnt realise she was there and she got a

> kick in the head poor thing. The guy felt really

> bad as she started crying. So while there might

> be family orientated pubs, i think parents should

> stil be responsible for their children!

I think I was also there when this happened (New Years Day?) - sitting at the table right next to her.

ratty Wrote:

> I'm conused now, are we talking about the Dog or

> The Herne? I was going to go to the Dog tomorrow

> evening but if it is that awful then maybe I will

> not bother. I did not think that kids were allowed

> in the dog - only in the outisdey bit?

Kids aren't allowed in the main part of the pub, only in the restaurant area and the garden.

Aren't they allowed in what used to be the small non-smoking area on the right as you come into the main bar area?

I don't mind children per se in pubs, just those that cannot differentiate between a pub and a playground! Or to be fair whose parents cannot differentiate between the two.

agree with you Jimmy two times, last time i went in there i sat in the conservatory to get away from all the kids in the main area. Then most of the kids from the main area started running away from their families and into the conservatory screaming at ear piercing levels!! There were some really well behaved kids in there but they looked pretty sad to be sat in a pub to be honest.

So, what you are saying is that children shouldn't be allowed in pubs because it is either in breach of their human rights (the well-behaved ones who are suicidally depressed within 5 mins of entering a licensed premises) or those of the adults (who have to suffer the happy but annoying ones). Parents can't really win with that logic, can they?

To be fair DPF, I think there is a happy medium to be had. We have a 23 month old and we go to various family orientated pubs regularly. It is possible to take with you things to occupy your kids so that they don't feel the need to either run riot around other pub goers tables or sit there rigid afraid to move - granted the pushchair is laden heavy with toys/books/colouring pads but its worth the forethought to ensure the whole family have a nice time. Saying that our little one still likes to have a mooch about the place, but is always accompanied and never in any danger of being trodden on! Parents have the sole responsibility to ensure their kids are safe and having a nice time whilst at the same time not p*ssing anyone else off in the process - it's not that hard (general comment - not pointed at anyone on particular, although their are a few parents who frequent Peckham Rye Park cafe who should take note....)

x

Geezer and Bird meet.

Bird and Geezer fornicate.

Geezer and Bird find Bird is pregnant.

Bird and Geezer fall in love.

Nine months later Bird 'stands for a chavvy'.

It's a boy. Named Lionel.

Lionel and his mother (Bird) stay at home.

Geeezer goes to the pub, has moderate amount of alcohol.

Goes home to Bird and Lionel.

All three feel happy and fulfilled, and all the better for spending a little time apart.

But they would, wouldn't they, what with being working class.

It's parable of course, and the moral is, just because you can spend time together as a family in licenced premises, it doesn't mean you have to.

Its very funny HB but the problem with the parable is its slightly outdated - nowadays birds are not happy to sit at home all day with the kids. They want to get out too.

I think also the talk of families goimg to the pub creates the wrong impression - most people I know would not dream of going to the pub with kids in tow - however families go to the Herne and the Dog for a family meal - its the rise of the gastro pub which has resulted in the greying of the area between what is a pub and what is a restaurant.