Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> it'll be an indoor meat market, cosmetics

> superstore, or giant barbers / Western Union /

> internet caf?.

>

> Unfortunately you're probably spot on, another

> nail in the Rye Lane coffin.

Or is it another nail bar in the rye lane coffin?

Yep, there are now 99p store posters in the window of the Camberwell Green Woollies.

The Clarks factory shop at the Elephant has also become a 99p store. I was in there last week and they had some great bargains, hurrah.

Edited as stupidly mixed up Rye Lane and Camberwell, oops :-$

• 3 weeks later...

H&M in Peckham?

I've been doing some reading up and the internet truly is a wonderful tool. H&M have received a whole host of emails from me and I received a response today saying that this site was certainly something they would look at, and now I find this news link and I have also been told by other sources that M&S and Next have shown early stage interest. Can this be happening? Could the internet and people power create enough interest to save Rye Lane?

Louisa.

The unit has a massive footprint, would be surprised if another supermarket wasn't interested - though there's the problem of parking for a supermarket that big.

I could see a TK Maxx doing well, nearest otherwise is Lewisham I think.

With Tesco's metro recently receiving planning permission for the new cooperative house development (single unit if I remember correctly) the option for another supermarket to come to Peckham is still possible in the Woolworths site, but less likely. In terms of parking, the Multi-storey car park has over 600 spaces and a new store in the Woolworths site could potentially negotiate a deal with the council for its use, as has the cinema for one of the floors.

The Peckham Town Centre Management Group are currently in the process of putting a prospectus for the town centre together as one of the tools to attract quality retailers to the area, and maybe as the article says, we can once again call it 'the golden mile'. We spoke with the managing agent for the Woolworths site a few weeks ago and they confirmed that they are looking for quality retailers to come to the the town centre, but couldn't provide any names at that time. We also had a consultation with a large department store to ask their advice concerning how to attract the right sorts of business to the town centre (or any town centre) and one interesting idea they passed on was that when one quality retailer comes to a town centre, their rivals watch them to see how they do and if they do well then they also renew their plans to set up a store in that area.

In addition the announcement last week of the East London Line coming through Peckham (2011) will increase the transport links to the area resulting in increased interest from new retailers to the area.

As a final note, when Tesco Metro sets up in the Cooperative house, it is believed that commuters will walk down from Rye Lane Station to the new shop, and in doing so the increased footfall may well incentivise retailers down the southern end of Rye Lane to change their offering to attract the passing trade, or for other retailers to show a keener interest in the area.

I think it is a case of watch this space and wait for the change that is about to happen.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I think the best thing they could do in Peckham

> would be to knock down the modern buildings which

> surround the station. Open up the original

> forecourt, expose original architecture, make the

> area feel lighter and safer.

Hey Jeremy, whilst that sounds like a nice idea i would say it is most impractical as alot of those buildings are owned privately.

The Tesco Metro news is absolutely great. However, it does seem odd to me that it is within half a mile of the other small Tesco on East Dulwich RD, but i'm guessing the popularity is there for another small store.

As you suggest LuvPeckham, it only takes on big retailer to locate itself in an ailing town centre such as Peckham and others follow if that store does well. H&M have received an absolute backlog of emails regarding the Woolies site and seem to be changing their line by the minute. M&S I know or a fact had zero interest in a return to Peckham until this Facebook blog made the press. A friend of mine who works at Bayswater store jokingly told me at the weekend that this particular story was getting all over head office and has sparked interest in the area once more, especially since the ELL extension came to fruition a few days ago.

I never thought I would see the day Rye Lane managed to regain a decent number of High Street stores again, but with all the current news it may well be that we are not far off a return to a good standard of shopping again.

Louisa.

karter Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I think the best thing they could do in Peckham

> > would be to knock down the modern buildings

> which

> > surround the station. Open up the original

> > forecourt, expose original architecture, make

> the

> > area feel lighter and safer.

>

> Hey Jeremy, whilst that sounds like a nice idea i

> would say it is most impractical as alot of those

> buildings are owned privately.

Southwark Council have actually produced a proposal for doing just this, Peckham Rye Station - The Case for Change

Ah Jones & Higgins, were would be without them, I do love to pop in for my haberdashery bits in the morning, and visit the restaurant for a light lunch of Steak and kidney pie followed by spotted dick and custard. A look around the hat departement in the afternoon, always on the look out for something to wear to the WI meeting........If Jones & Higgins ever closed it would be the end of Rye Lane............

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Louisa Wrote:

> Freddy, Jones and Higgins demise was the end of

> Rye Lane lol - and from memory I dont think the

> place had a restaurant or a ladies hat

> department!

>

> Louisa.

Dear Louise

first what does LOL mean??keep seeing it not sure what it means?

and secondly J&H did have a restaurant I'm talking about the 50's

and also a hat department about the same time,

I'm sure you are much too young to remember that far back!!!

Hello Freddy

LOL means Laugh Out Loud.

It's used to indicate the writer is laughing at something you've written or written themselves.

On this forum you can also add symbols (emocions or emoticons), click on the smiley face symbol and it will come up with a selection to choose from...(tu)

Happy posting!..:)

I've never felt unsafe around the station in the daytime or late evening.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I think the best thing they could do in Peckham

> would be to knock down the modern buildings which

> surround the station. Open up the original

> forecourt, expose original architecture, make the

> area feel lighter and safer.

• 3 weeks later...