New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

rbarton Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Old French Cafe property went back to the land

> lady who wants it back for general repairs.

> My feeling is that it is a way to get the property

> back tart it up and put it back on the market with

> a higher rent.

>

>

it certainly isn't - I'm ITK on that

Anna27 Wrote:

> rbarton Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Old French Cafe property went back to the land

> > lady who wants it back for general repairs.

> > My feeling is that it is a way to get the

> property

> > back tart it up and put it back on the market

> with

> > a higher rent.

> >

> >

> it certainly isn't - I'm ITK on that

So do you know what is going to happen to the old cafe?

I have to admit, I assumed the move was to get a bigger space to expand, not because the owner of the old site wanted them out. The French Cafe was often full and the new one is larger.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Does it actually have a name? Or would that

> detract from the minimalist chic?

>

> ETA - Sorry... just saw post above... "Fabulous

> Ice Fires".

They've only just opened so have yet to have the name painted on the front of the shop.

I just had an ice crea from here and was bowled over. I had tried Oddone's and did not like their ice cream I found them oily. However the scoops I had today from Fabulous etc....were marvellous. Pistachio and almond were both as good as I had tasted and their own marscarpone with ground cardamom on top was great. There were 3 scoops for ?2.50 but I think this is an opening offer.

sounds fantastic - anyone know if they have a website or anywhere that lists ingredients? - would love to know if they have dairy and soy free options. The sorbet's in Oddono's are technically fine but contain trans fats so I avoid them, would be keen to find an alternative!

They're way too cool for a website. This is not a "shop". This is a blisteringly bright white space ship descended on the salivating gelatophiles of East Dulwich. They do not "make" ice creams and sorbets. They orchestrate, meld, and tease their gorgeous magic into colourful unctuousness that toys with your tastebuds. It's something wonderful.

I chucked their flyer but this gives you a taste of their exotic branding. Don't get me wrong. Their gelati are an absolute delight, the lemon sorbet so (naturally) acid it almost hurts, the pistachio the nuttiest I've ever tasted.

Oh, and I've only recently discovered Oddono's and I have to say - it's paradise. Reminds of a trip to Italy many years ago when I would eat ice cream three times a day, it was so good. Hope I don't end up going to Oddono's three times a day, or even a week, or these ice creams will start showing round my waist!!

BTW, so far the hazelnut flavor is my favourite - real nuts inside!