Dulwich Estate - fit to run conservation?

Don't spend too much time on the interesting, but obsolete, 1857 Act.

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityFramework.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=312751&SubsidiaryNumber=0

A copy of the "SCHEME DATED 31/07/1995 AS AMENDED BY RESOLUTION DATED 08/12/2012" is what is needed.

I don't have a copy.

You could write and ask for one.

John K

Possibly something of an aside, but something that has always puzzled me is the insular nature of the Dulwich Estate/ Schools/ Society axis - they seem to operate in a very self contained manner.

Digging around, there seems some evidence of Freemason activity around parts of it. Dulwich College has an openly advertised lodge, recent former pupils at Alleyns report lodge meetings of some kind taking place there, and one of the great and good on one of the various boards/ committees has been 'outed' online - of course, never the most reliable source of evidence. There is no link between impropriety and Freemasonry per se, and no evidence to suggest that any Freemasonry has an influence on how affairs are conducted in Dulwich. However, if is true that the Masonic influence is heavy, it does provide an interesting context. Does anyone know anything more about it?

• 2 weeks later...

Ha Ha! Masons! an Axis! Might be overegging the pudding. Masons are a bit old hat! Sounds a bit 1970s/80s. Besides there are many women involved (who can't be Masons). The Chair of the Dulwich Estate Trustees is a woman. A lot of women at the beneficiaries which include 3 girls' schools + Alleyn's. Women are very active at the Dulwich Society too.

There are many networks in the area but across many professions, social groups and interests. Also the beneficiaries include local charities, about 15 elderly residents in the almshouses as well as 4 state schools and a chapel allied to St Barnabas. Estate donations to local independent schools help support scholarships for disadvantaged kids from across London as well as local children. Although Dulwich College is a beneficiary of the Dulwich Estate, it is not part of the Estate but is a separate charity with its own Board of Governors.

siouzie14 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Although Dulwich College is a

> beneficiary of the Dulwich Estate, it is not part

> of the Estate but is a separate charity with its

> own Board of Governors.

I think if you look at the list of the Estate Governors there is quite a bit of crossover. i.e. some individuals sit on both the Estate Govs and Dul Coll/Jags or Alleyns Govs.

siouzie14

Dulwich Estate are far from the socially diverse charity that your comments imply - 85% of all their donations go directly to the big three private schools of Dulwich College, Alleyns and JAGS. Local state schools, in relation to this, receive a tokenistic amount. As this thread has established, Alleyn's original will was all about subsidising poor and local children, so historically speaking, it should be the other way round. A deft bit of footwork by the Estate to historically translate it into the model it currently operates under, and they pay themselves well to do it. Having worked closely with life saving charities, who rely almost exclusively on volunteers to do their work, the Dulwich Estate in my view looks pretty shabby in comparison.

On the masons, maybe in the interests of transparency in local affairs, anyone involved with the Estate and the beneficiary schools would consider declaring their membership, or otherwise. Or maybe I could join the the local masons to find out, but what might put me off is, unlike trade bodies and local organisations I belong to, is swearing an oath to have my tongue ripped out if I fall out with their agenda. To a degree whether there is masonic influence or not is interesting, and maybe even illuminating, but not the ultimate point. The fact is there is widespread local unease at the insular and many would argue high handed and anti community way in which the Dulwich Estate is currently operating.

• 3 years later...

Has anyone seen the plans the Dulwich Estate have announced, for West Dulwich and Dulwich village? And the fact there is another shop closure at Herne Hill, following Mimosa now the wine shop has gone. They are trying to make Dulwich Village a food venue that people from outside the area will visit for high end food.

All of a sudden it becomes clear why they have been relatively quiet for a couple of years and have now suddenly exploded with activity. Seen where the Alleyn Park Garden Centre is having to move to as their old site has housing will be built on it?

The CE Simone (whoever)is going to make the place like Borough Market and not a place you could just go to a shop to buy some eggs and a newspaper. At present you need to get the bus or brave being mugged in the park to get to Sainsbury's at the Plough.

I can't see why anyone would want to live in Dulwich Village now anyway, there is no grocery shop and no newspaper shop. I hope the new butchers survives amongst the dull unimaginative chain shops that keep replacing all the good useful shops that have been forced out by massive rent increases. People have to travel to get a newspaper and basic groceries. Not good if you are elderly and unable to drive! But Dulwich Estate does not appear to care.

to be fair to the Estate, they do seem to accept the need for a convenience store in the village and still expect the arrival of such a store by ?September. I suspect that the site at number 88 could more easily have been let to yet another coffee shop and am relieved that a convenience store is still planned.

Meanwhile newspapers can be ordered and delivered by the Red Apple store opposite the Library, they are very efficient [papers come early ] and reliable.

I'm pretty cynical about development in general and the Estate in particular. But these proposals look pretty good to me, at least on a quick look. Street retail needs to respond to online competition.

They (Dulwich Estates)have been promising a convenience store in Dulwich Village well before the previous one closed (Shepards) which I imagine is nearly three years - I will believe it when it happens! in the meantime more vehicles clogging up the road as people drive or get basic food delivered. The footfall of a convenience shop was also promised to support the new butchers, and all the other shops. We are all fed up with waiting and being fobbed off with another ridiculous excuse for a convenience shop not opening.

Simply Fresh has had the lease for over a year and yet they haven't even started a shopfit or applied for an alcohol licence. Shepherd's were paying ?48k rent and the Estate wanted ?80k, so no wonder they left - and would a Simply Fresh make enough profit? Doubt it.

I live in West Dulwich and dismayed to discover there will be now be 2 orthodontists within a few metres of each other. How useful NOT! And another Yoga place along with the new one in Dulwich Village. Very unbalanced range of outlets in my opinion. However I do like the plaza idea at the crossroads in West dulwich.

Apparently, Harvey Wheeler the estate agent moved out further down the row of shops to enable the ex-Audi dealership premises to be enlarged to give more space for a potential convenience store/supermarket and STILL no supermarket or convenience shop wants to move in! It must be the ridiculous rents that are putting shops off - what else could it be?

Metallic Wrote:

----------------------------------------------

>

> The CE Simone (whoever)is going to make the place

> like Borough Market and not a place you could just

> go to a shop to buy some eggs and a newspaper.

> At present you need to get the bus or brave being

> mugged in the park to get to Sainsbury's at the

> Plough.

'brave being mugged in the park'...?