Break Ins in ED

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was also burgled in the same incident this

> thread refers to. These guys were organised,

> dressed as removal men, whistling, broad day light

> (Wed lunchtime)

Sorry to hear about this, its really unpleasant, to put it mildly.:X

Don't think we should be protecting the anonymity of this thieving scum though, I have to say M8.

This thread is for the readers of EDF so could you give some kind of description?

Tony LS, believe me if I had seen them there would have been trouble!

We were all out - but a few neighbours across the street saw a white van and heard some noise - strangely no faces though - just assumed they were builders - as would anyone probably. You just dont think about it. Nobody would bat an eyelid at that in ED...I have to admit it was quite impressive. And I thought it wouldn't happen to me!

As Red Devil said...DEADLOCKS GUYS DEADLOCKS!!! but I think I should add....AND DREADLOCKS!

We were burgled a couple of weeks ago then I heard from a friend just round the corner that their neighbour disturbed a burgler who broke in through the front door while he was downstairs and had to run out of the house at the back and leave him inside. He didn't see his facial features too well but apparently said he was black with DREADLOCKS!

Why? I hate the way people change things around on this Forum!!! If I had said white with dreadlocks or he was skinny and blonde would it get the same response?

If people are worried about being burgled, which I am as it happened to us, then why isn't it useful to give a description of the person actually caught in the act??? There was absolutely no racial hatred intended just thought it would help as there has been such an increase of break-ins, especially violent ones!

I am really sorry if it has offended anyone! :)

I agree with Knackered cow. This thread is about break ins and not about colour. At the end of the day he is what he is, either black/white/yellow or what ever. We have to identify the burglars who ever they are!! And not be scared of the reprecussions!!

We have deadlocks with the internal knob and we never leave the door unlocked when we go out, even if its around to the local shop.

Black with dreadlocks is hardly a description. If I see a black guy with dreads walking down my road should I call the police?

As moos said, I'm sure it wasn't meant to point the finger at every black person with dread's but the description isn't particularly helpful is it?

I doubt these unfortunate break-ins are the work of one person either.

I don't understand this bit.. what is it meant to mean?

I can understand knackeredcow wanting to give fair warning - I've been burgled and it's majorly upsetting. But descriptions of any sort aren't that useful as a warning, regardless of colour, creed etc etc. The whole point about being burgled is you don't know it's happening until it's done... if I wake up at 2am tomorrow morning to confront a burglar, him having dreads, or being skinny and blonde isn't going to help me

the only thing we can all do is take the warning on practical advice re: locks and so on

Maybe a description of an intruder isn't that useful - but that certainly doesn't make it racist or offensive... seriously, that's just a ridiculous conclusion.

knackered cow is absolutely right, you can't say "black" on this forum without someone getting wound up, it's really absurd.

Jeremy - if your point was true (ie a consistent thing) , I would get it. But the accusation was "people changing things around on the forum" - don't know what that means. from what to what?

jaybee - I don't think anyone has said it's "inciting racial hatred". For my part I just don't think it's that helpful.

Nice input Honk, talk about useful!!

At the end of the day any description is better than nothing. If several homes get robbed by a black guy with dreads then its a pattern and that will help the police catching the guy(s).

It sounds like the PC Police are around. Some people really need to chill out

andy&kez Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nice input Honk, talk about useful!!

>

> At the end of the day any description is better

> than nothing. If several homes get robbed by a

> black guy with dreads then its a pattern and that

> will help the police catching the guy(s).

>

> It sounds like the PC Police are around. Some

> people really need to chill out

Yeah, it really narrows it down.

It is more like thinly-veiled code for 'not from round here'

I just thought it was a bit weird to make jokes about deadlocks and dreadlocks.

I really apologise for making this stink though, because I usually get really pissed off when someone starts this kind of thing.

Anyway, back on topic...