Brick House

fergusjackson

Had lunch at the Brickhouse today, I am hoping with time their lunch menu will increase, the choice was sparce. They have so much space, they can have a menu for cooked Breakfasts and Lunches. Must say was disappointed, with the Brickhouse.

• 2 months later...
Tried a Bostock from there today. It was extremely boring. The edges were dry, and it should have had more custardy filling, and a more defined taste. ?3. Only improved by adding macerated strawberries and some vanilla ice cream.

• 1 month later...
I'm a writer and spend a fair bit of time working in cafes in the ED area. I was excited when Brick House opened -loved the building and had been enjoying their bread long before that. But I've been back a few times in the last week and just can't really take the prices anymore (apologies - I know I'm not the first one to say this...). A Flat White is ?2.80 - that's more expensive that even Monmouth in Borough Market, which is pretty much ground zero for serious coffee drinkers. A tiny "morning bun" (like a mini croissant) was ?3. I wouldn't worry but the coffee wasn't actually very good - tasted sour (apparently this can happen when it's humid like yesterday) and the service was unfriendly. Previous time I tried a Bostock, but could barely get the think down it was so dry.

Try the coffee at La Scala when they reopen after their summer holidays. Flat white is ?1.90.

Just because Brick House won an award for their bread doesn't mean that they know how to make good pastry and cakes. That's my conclusion anyway.

Sorry, disagree with the above. I've found the coffee at Brick House to be really good, and I like my coffee. For a triple shot black americano I think it's the best in the Lordship Lane area. Only General Store's Workshop coffee edges it nearby.

And I love the Bostock. Consistency is spot on. Almondy and sweet!

• 4 months later...

The Brick House bread is OK.. The loaves are large but difficult to cut when fresh.. and I have professional knives.

The crusts are very hard and can on occasion be burnt.

I was a little disappointed that they are unable to provide a cutting / slicing service.

Probably because the crusts are so hard..

DulwichFox

Love their bread, But coffee is mediocre weak and overpriced for a small cup-service is pretty poor and coffee often arrives lukewarm.

Their salads are REALLY expensive for tiny portions, a large portion is merely like a side order size, not a main course at all.

and its about ?7.

What I don't understand is why at weekends they don't just have a counter/till for people just buying bread.

We often stand in line for ages as famililies order their breakfasts.

Brick House has really lost its shine for me I'm afraid. It's so overpriced and I agree the service is mediocre at best. I I had cause to query an order (I was being totally over-charged!) and I found the way I was dealt with incredibly patronising.

I was meeting people and working in there nearly every day at one point and spending a lot of money in there each week but they have lost my custom now which is a shame. Bit fed up of being ripped off so have moved my coffee/breakfast whilst working habit elsewhere. It's their loss. And the bread is alright, but certainly not the best I've had by a long shot.

I went Christmas Eve but they were closed.. Went on the 28 th.. Closed .. News year Eve Closed..

tried again 2nd Jan . Closed I mean. people need bread over Christmas and the New Year..

Recently when I bought a loaf ?4.50 I handed over ?4.60.. and the girl just walked off. I called out 'Excuse me

I gave you ?4.60'

She replied 'Tut What ? Do you want change. ?' really bad attitude..

DulwichFox

Haven't found them rude but they're driving distance from friendly. Their BLTs though.. utterly delicious, but at ?6 the price is as outrageous as the taste. Must be the only place that insists on an eat-in price for takeaway.

They can only get away with it through having a premium product. But it's an unnecessary shame never to walk away feeling like a valued customer.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there for me worldwiser. I've never really felt like a valued customer - they seem a bit complacent to me, as if they can take you or leave you and it's annoying after a while. Anyway, I'm going to get over it now! : )

• 3 weeks later...
Just to repeat something from earlier in the thread, when it's very busy on a Saturday morning, they really should have a separate queue for people who are just buying bread. I'm tempted to walk to the front of the queue, show the assistent what I'm buying and put the change on the counter. Actually, I might do just that tomorrow morning...

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just to repeat something from earlier in the

> thread, when it's very busy on a Saturday morning,

> they really should have a separate queue for

> people who are just buying bread. I'm tempted to

> walk to the front of the queue, show the assistent

> what I'm buying and put the change on the counter.

> Actually, I might do just that tomorrow morning...

Put the CHANGE on the counter?

Are you anticipating being in some kind of time warp?!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
I stumbled across the Brickhouse today, and had a wonderful breakfast there, unlike anything I have had in a long while. Whilst it was over ?10, it was delicious and filling, and the flavours were amazing and The bread was light. Fantastic. The staff were attentive and friendly, and the fact that it's an independent ticked all my boxes. To run a hand made bakery like this is extremely expensive, i can't epect such quality without paying for it. A business like this will have huge overheads. I would rather put my money to Brickhouse than spend less in Costa (of the likes that I have never entered) because I dont want to see homogenised towns and city's everywhere. I might not go there regularly, but I will treat myself to another fine meal there again without a doubt. Well done, Brickhouse, I wish you luck.