> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Someone was charged ?3.80 for a soya latte

> there

> > and tweeted about it.

>

> Instead of querying it at the time, of course. No

> sympathy.

Perhaps they bought lots of things together and only realised afterwards. It is a lot of money for a coffee.

PandG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just had home made soup, their veggie sandwich at

> lunchtime - delicious and WORTH EVERY PENNY - ED

> needs these entrepreneurs it's what makes this a

> wonderful area to live in - support it or stay

> quiet!

Ain't this the truth. Well said.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> >

>

> I'm sure that there's a joke there somewhere, but

> it might upset those of a nervous disposition.

Oh dear oh dear :))

Clearly I should read back what I write more carefully before I post it :))

bob Wrote:

> Went in yesterday ?5.00 for two americarno's in

> Toast?4.39 Prettes ?3.00 any one else got other

> comparisons it was clean staff friendly lot's of

> space.

> Bob S

Toasted charges a lower price for a takeaway, I don't think Pretty's does. I think one Americano there is ?1.90

Bread of this type is expensive due to its high maintenance nature. However, the one comparison I've not seen is to Gails in the village. Their prices are way more eye watering...

I'm fortunate, hubbie did a bread making course as a 40th b'day pressie and if he doesn't make it we get blackbirds slow rise white but they often sell out. Will be popping in to try Brick Houses, looking forward to it

JDR Wrote:

> However, the one comparison

> I've not seen is to Gails in the village.

Well there was this:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1428934,1485096#msg-1485096

Even Gail?s isn?t really a fair comparison. The majority of their products are made by a company called The Bread Factory in a massive facility in North London, and then shipped out to the stores each day. Again we would argue that a shop masquerading as a ?local bakery? that doesn?t really do much baking on site is more of a con than a ?6 sandwich.

Just been and had coffee and snack. Have to say, the coffee around here can be very hit and miss, but we found the coffee here lovely. Rich in flavour, good balance of bitterness, not too hot and not too cold. Had goats cheese, honey and almonds on toast which surprised me at how nice it was as it wasn't something I would normally go for. We bought a loaf of their multigrain bread which is huge! The building itself is bright and airy and the tables aren't crammed in which I like. It's still early days but we very much enjoyed it.

I asked for toast at lunchtime at Toasted a while back... but they said NO it's not on the menu. It's a shame when it's the name of the cafe!

Further disappointment came when the table next to me got a nice big plate of toast... they had ordered the soup and it came with it. Shame they couldn't be more flexible...

We went to Brick House for lunch today, famished after doing the last clear out of our flat. The sandwiches were worth every penny. My ham hock and tomato sandwich was a beast, tasty and very filling. My partner had a three cheese toastie which was apparently very good.

We also had cake afterwards. The chocolate and buttermilk tea bread was wonderful, one of the best chocolate cakes I have tasted. We left very happy and clutching a loaf of Peckham Rye sourdough for the weekend breakfasts.

It is a BEAUTIFUL space - soaring ceilings and beautiful lighting. Ate there this weekend. Amazing. HUGE vegetarian sandwich, perfect coffee, and, perfect service. I've always been a fan of their bread as it is tricky to find an honest sourdough in London and I am delighted they have opened up a place. HURRAH.

Popped in for breakfast today.

Had 2 x boiled eggs and toast, black Americano. GF had toast and Jam and Fresh Mint Tea.

Toast was perfect, possibly best I've had. I know it's just toast but the bread makes a whole lot of difference as does the good butter they serve it with. The coffee was the best I've had round here and I'm a bit of a coffee snob. It's amazing how many so called coffee shops don't know how to make a decent coffee.

Only gripe was the boiled eggs. First one was bang on, but they hadn't been plunged in cold water when ready so the second one continued to cook in it's shell. By the time I ate it it was hard boiled. But they replaced it with no fuss and were very apologetic. Now I know this all sounds horrendously fussy but if you're paying ?4 for a couple of eggs and toast they've got to get it spot on- especially for something so basic.

If I had to moan about anything else I'd say they could possibly stick a couple more breakfast options on the menu.

Lovely space though, great bread/toast and terrific coffee. Will deffo go back.