Brick House

fergusjackson

We were there this morning, delicious avocado on toast and flat white best coffee in a while. Yes a bit pricier than nero but very spacious and lovely lady found paper for my little girl to draw on (it's the little things!!!)

Also bought delicious baguette and new discovery "bostock". If you like almonds try it out, life is made better with good bread and bread products.

Will certainly be back.

It's just a shame that bread which is a basic staple food for the poor to fill the stomach for pennies is one of the most expensive things to buy now , more so since it only has a few ingredients and is selling for around ?4/5. I don't buy supermarket bread as I know its full of rubbish but it still shocks me that organic rustic bread is about ?4.50 for a loaf .

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I appreciate the craft and costly ingredients but,

> nonetheless, ?4 is a lot for a loaf.

That's not even the dearest - the 5 seed loaf is ?4.50.

It's lovely bread.....although if i recall correctly it was cheaper than this when it was sold in the Franklins Farm shop.

Your bread is delicious the best I have eaten in ages, so glad you are here in Ed. Totally agree that taste is about ingredients, white sliced bread is indigestible for many people because of the processing and forced proving.

I am hoping with such a large space you may offer bread making courses as I would love to learn more.

Yeah because indepedent shops only appeared in the last few years when gentrification swept in - apparently there weren't any here before that? What about the numerous indepedents which have a history or half a century or more locally? I don't get this fascination with indepedent shops like its something new and exciting. Just because it happens to be trendy now doesn't mean it hasn't always been the case. I guess if it's not hipster or trendy vibe then it isn't in the same category right? Silly old me.

Louisa.

Louisa:--

Wilsons Cycles 32 Peckham High Street, Peckham London, SE15 5DP

Established in or around 1870, Wilson?s cycles is Peckham?s oldest business, and was owned by a member of the Wilsons family up until 1995 when the last member passed away aged 91.

Yet another local business still going after 145 years.. http://www.wilsonscycles.com/

I remember it when I was a kid and lived in Peckham....

DulwichFox

I had brekkie in Brick House on Sat and it's a beautiful setting.

Think the prices would be fair if the portions were a big bigger. 3 huge slices of toast for ?2.50 - amazing value!! But the Birchir muesli for ?4.50.. I was expecting something a bit bigger. The coffee was a bit titchy too for ?2.50ish.

Shame there was no fresh juice, but it was absolutely heaving by the time I left and kid friendly so I'm sure it will do well.

Nice staff too :)

Precisely DF. I had a bike from Wilsons when I was a kid too, a well stablished local name still going.

edcam I think you miss the point. It's just an observation that when a NEW business opens up its seen as a revelation, and yet the very people who bang on about indepedent businesses and how great they are wouldnt set foot in a well established local indepedent because it's "out of their league" or not noteworthy because it's not owned by trendy blow-in folk or hipsters (for example). We all shop where we want, and this place I wish well, and it's doing rather well without my business so the proof must be in the pudding eh? The pricing structure isn't aimed at people like me, or long established ED residents, if we are being honest about it, it's aimed at the "in crowd" of post gentrification ED residents who are willing to spend more on daily essentials such as bread than the long established population. That's how I see it anyway.

Louisa.

I now bake my own bread twice a week.

I make bread using strong white flour, rye flour

And also grains and rolled oats.

It's fun experimenting.

I'm learning all the time and

Making my own Rye Sourdough Starters.

It isn't cheap baking a single

Loaf at a time but my bread is

Nice nutritious and I know what's in it.

How much salt , sugar etc

DulwichFox

DulwichFox - out of interest, if someone posted on, for example, the Curry Club thread to say that they made their own chapatis, dhal, curry, chutneys and poppadoms, would you not think it a little out of place?

Louisa and DF - if this thread had been started about Wilsons or from another "pre-hipster/trendy" fascination for independents then I am sure people would be singing their praises too. You were probably served by my friend's dad as he worked there for years in the good old days.

Jeremy - think you've hit the nail on the head about it simply being teething issues over pricing and portions, perfectly understandable as they have only just opened. I remember the brilliant Homemade Cafe on Barry Road attracted similar comments at first on the good old EDF. Cannot remember how much their sandwiches cost but the ingredients were sublime, well worth paying a bit extra.

Fergus & Sharmin - its truly not always negative on here. There are often positive posts too (although you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise) and a lot of local businesses and customers have benefited from the forum. I wish you well, good bread is indeed food of the gods.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I now bake my own bread twice a week.

> I make bread using strong white flour, rye flour

> And also grains and rolled oats.

> It's fun experimenting.

> I'm learning all the time and

> Making my own Rye Sourdough Starters.

> It isn't cheap baking a single

> Loaf at a time but my bread is

> Nice nutritious and I know what's in it.

> How much salt , sugar etc

>

> DulwichFox

Foxy,

Knowing Fergus's attitude towards people discovering the joys of bread making and the bread industry I reckon he would be just as delighted that you are making loaves at home to enjoy as to shopping at his bakery. The brick house bread is some of the finest in London and is the benchmark for what I try and recreate at home. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk about your starters if you popped in just for a chat too. Either way, very happy baking.

numbers Wrote:

> DulwichFox - out of interest, if someone posted

> on, for example, the Curry Club thread to say that

> they made their own chapatis, dhal, curry,

> chutneys and poppadoms, would you not think it a

> little out of place?

No... I also make Curries, Chapatis, Dhal.

jammyaileen

Your bread is delicious the best I have eaten in ages, so glad you are here in Ed. Totally agree that taste is about ingredients, white sliced bread is indigestible for many people because of the processing and forced proving.

I am hoping with such a large space you may offer bread making courses as I would love to learn more.

There was some interest in someone wanting to learn how to make bread..

I was merely pointing out that I had done this on my own and that they should give it a go..

That's how you learn.

I'm not sure it would be in the Brick House's interest to teach people how to bake their own bread.

But if they did run a course I would attend.

But if they see me making a couple of loaves a week a threat to their business then they really would be in trouble.

DulwichFox

In defence of fox, I think there's nothing unreasonable about his post. Making bread can be time consuming, especially sourdough. If more people tried at home, they'd realise why small producers cannot sell bread at supermarket prices.

Azalea Wrote:

> The price queries on here seem to be mostly about

> items other than the bread. Does anyone on here

> know how much Ayres charges for their sourdough?

> They charge 95p for one hot cross bun.

Don't quote me but I think Ayres charge ?2.40 for a 1/2 loaf which is quite big.

Euphorium Bakery Tesco Surrey Quays Charge ?2.90 for a smallish Sourdough (a craft bread) very nice.

And also do a Sourdough for ?1.50 but not the same quality.

N.B. The reason I started to bake bread was that I needed a Low G.I. bread that I knew what was in it.

DuwichFox.

Wilson's bikes staff don't know their arses from their elbows. The one time I didn't have tools and a puncture kit, I got a flat outside Peckham Pulse. Took it to Wilson's for an emergency repair and it took them 3 attempts to replace with a tube that wasn't either ill-fitted and therefore burst, twice or had a valve that was too short for the rims on my bike. Hardly a shining example of a great local business.

Back on topic - Brickhouse bread aint cheap but it is exceptionally good. I've not made my own bread for months since we've been buying it.