New Zebra Crossing on Lordship Lane.

karter

A few points related to the various threads:

The Street Audit was done in February 2007, I don't know why it has taken so long to be acted on, partly inertia in the council, partly the actual work of drawing up viable plans - e.g. the Audit recommended that "improved crossing junction of East Dulwich Grove and Lordship Lane,: but apparently the officers in the Council (or maybe in the consultants, Mouchel) were unable to come up with a solution that Transport for London would accept, because of the issue of delays at this junction causing a jam to tail back to the roundabout. You can see the Street Audit here:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/uploads/FILE_40766.pdf

Loss of parking if a Zebra Crossing is installed outside Somerfields: on the day the Audit was carried ( a Saturday,) at least 2 of the cars, if not 3, were estate agent owned cars, hardly shoppers.

The discussion about whether the suggestion for installing a crossing is related to fatalities: whether or not there have been any, the Council is looking at various places in the borough with a view to improving things for pedestrians, the LB Southwark Travel Plan talks about "promoting and encouraging sustainable transport" - i.e walking and cycling. I guess a few of you will be outraged by this, but when the oil runs out you may have to rethink your travel plans...

By the way, I don't live directly on Lordship Lane, and didn't get a consultation form, but do shop there. I'm all in favour of a crossing outside Somerfield, there are so many places where cars dominate and it will hardly reduce the overall speed of traffic in the area, if some cars have to stop at at recognised crossing point, instead of in a traffic jam a few feet further on.

"Loss of parking if a Zebra Crossing is installed outside Somerfields: on the day the Audit was carried ( a Saturday,) at least 2 of the cars, if not 3, were estate agent owned cars, hardly shoppers.

not a big fan of Estate Agents taking up so many parking spaces, but

1. I guiess they do some shoping too (lunch, stuff for supper, cross over to Somerfield even)

2. There may not be so many of them in the near future and then other users can park (and shop)!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00445/news-graphics-2007-_445703a.jpg

That 'audit' doesn't surprise me.

I've always contended that the shopper parking 'issue' could be fabricated by traders who simply want to park conveniently outside their own store all day, and don't give a monkeys abou the horrific living, shopping and driving experience they impose on the local population.

I'm not saying I'm right - I'm merely observing that this is a very real possibility, and the truth should be explored.

We should run 11am to 3pm audit to see who actually is parking on the Lane, how long they park for, what they buy and how long they stay.

If traders suggest that this audit shouldn't take place, then I'd suggest that tells us something about their motivess.

• 2 weeks later...
The shopping parking issue is an issue, I would rather use the web than suffer the parking nightmare of some areas. Some areas are almost impossible to find a decent parking space Old Kent Road is a bit of a problem if I want to shop somewhere other than a corporate where there is a car park, I personally do think that it is killing off some small businesses, tower bridge road is another and Mitchum Lane Streatham another, well Steatham full stop.

Ooooh but have you 'proof' Mike...Hugenot absolutely insists on it, you may be a devious local trader- god forbid. He loves restriction on the car and souless shopping malls owned by conglomerates as he lives in Singapore.....

• 2 months later...

How about

1. East Dulwich Lordship Lane flyover. As Found In Tokyo

2. Underground car park beneath Goose Green. As Found in Park Lane

3. 30minute sensor parking meters. As found in Le Touquet Northern France.

4. Pedestrian Car shared use Pavement / Road. As found in Sloane Square.

All the solutions are out there.

Why try and reinvent the wheel.

Macroban that is (sheer? edit) "shear" genius.!

South London Park and Ride!

Numbhead Peckham and East Dulwich shopping nirvana

Ok the council make 1/100th of Peckham rye a car park that should accommodate at least 10,000 cars.

Then they get a couple of your rides to ferry shoppers from the rye in a circuit from Numbhead Peckham and then onto the delights of East Dulwich.

I suggest Free parking and say ?1 per person for a ticket ride the circuit for the whole day.

We would end up with a shopping area to rival Blue Water, Westfield Lakeside etc.

All we need now is a Council who have a brain for something practical ohm we?re stuffed we?re in Southwark I forgot that for a moment.

Is lakeside something you wish for ?

rather than making the place MORE accessible, make it LESS accessible to cars and their slovenly occupants

Oh sorry, that would put the retailers & bar owners noses out of joint & was we know, we cant have that can we - they are the lifeblood of the community, always giving, really ADDING to the area*

* snorky ban imminent

thebeard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How about

>

> 1. East Dulwich Lordship Lane flyover. As Found In

> Tokyo

> 2. Underground car park beneath Goose Green. As

> Found in Park Lane

> 3. 30minute sensor parking meters. As found in Le

> Touquet Northern France.

> 4. Pedestrian Car shared use Pavement / Road. As

> found in Sloane Square.

>

>

> All the solutions are out there.

>

> Why try and reinvent the wheel.

You could say all those measures would make it easier for cars to park. If its easier to park that may encourage more people to drive so more cars to deal with than before ? catch 22. They tried catering for demand in the 1960?s and that didn?t work it just resulted in road schemes like that of Croydon and the cyclist killer Elephant and Castle.

The Beard - I quite like that idea...

Can't see any suburban area going for building a car park on an existing park or common - although there is the car park by the cafe and the lido there...

What capacity would that give us?!

But rivalling Bluewater and Lakeside... let's start with Croydon, Bromley and Lewisham first.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the question of cars has only become an

> issue in ED because we do not have a public car

> park. I think it is a great shame that we cannot

> invest in a patch of local land which not used so

> that we have a place for visitors to the area to

> park.

>

> Louisa.

Can't we use Dulwich Village as the car park?

Q+A

Can't we use Dulwich Village as the car park?

Interesting idea but one day I?d love to live there so my future home would be blighted by car park. So no vote for me.

I told you before that Kew was better than ED!

No contest Kew has the edge.

But rivalling Bluewater and Lakeside... let's start with Croydon, Bromley and Lewisham first.

OK.

The Park and Ride car park?

Maybe not the main part of the Rye the area where the Peckham Lido used to be, that would be sufficient.

Mind you I?m thinking excavate the whole of the rye and go for the underground car park.

If a job is worth doing it?s worth doing well.

If it costs 30 million today tomorrow it?ll be 300 million tomorrow so lets go for it!

It?d create jobs especially if it?s done by hand no JCB?s.