> neighbours and window shop? I've got a healthy ten

> bucks in my pocket that reckons that you do none

> of the above in ED?

>

> It will be utterly impossible for a driver to

> appreciate the challenges of LL unless they accept

> that ED is a community. Get out more. You'll be

> happier. :)

Ouch Huguenot! I have lived in East Duwich for just over twelve years and do all of the above on foot locally but not exclusively. I fail to see how being part of a community gives pedestrians the right to amble across the road wherever they see fit and expect the cars to stop for them as if by some devine right. As has already been pointed out, what message are we giving to our children? My daughter was hit by a car just past the Harvester a few months back, it wasn't the poor driver's fault but my daughter's, she knew it was wrong to cross where she did (having been told countless times) but thought she'd be fine, after all, everyone else does it. Unfortunately for her she crossed in front of a bus so the driver didn't see her until it was to late.

Yes, East Dulwich is a community, as is anywhere, but it is not centred around a village green with nowt but the butterflies and children happily playing in the meadow to think about as we wander around buying our overpriced organic free range victuals, hailing neighbours whilst strolling across the road to call in on one of our many drinking establishments. I'm surprised no-one has got a sunday cricket game going on Goose Green yet.

So that will be 10 bucks you owe me Huguenot!

Bluecanary, when Cassius complained about a grim-faced woman she was talking about someone who didn't stop at a pedestrian crossing.

"That was probably me. Can't stop for you all or else I'd never get anywhere!"

Presumably you do expect other people to stop their cars for you and your family when they use pedestrian crossings?

Hello Moos, where did you spring from?

No, that wouldn't have been me then, sorry must have not seen/forgotten the bit about the pedestrian crossing. Of course I stop where mandatory. I also stop to be courteous to pedestrians and vehicles when it is safe to do so.

Moos we seem to have crossed posts. My first post to you refered to your first post to me, and of course not to the second which is addressed above.

KK, did you take a deep breath when you made that post? Well done.

It seems that people are not liking the idea of this crossing and i am guessing most here are residents. The questionnaire talks about asking residents and business owners. Are there any business owners out there that would care to add to this discussion? You know who you guys are. Come on.

TonyQuinn Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> About time zebra crossing was put in. So many

> blind spots on Lordship Lane. Very dangerous

> strip!

Don't see how installing a crossing on a blind spot will solve any "dangerous" areas. Inviting more probs perhaps?

This proposed new crossing will only cause more congestion along LL!...which means more irritated drivers and more likelihood of accidents......BAD IDEA....JUST SAY NO!

Use the cash to put some CC TV up in ED!!! - help catch the door2door con woman, dog snatchers, dog pooers, peckham yoots who come roaming into our parts, and the infamous front door kicker-iners (no backdoor jokes here please)!

Use the cash to put some CC TV up in ED!!! - help catch the ... peckham yoots who come roaming into our parts...!

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, because of all the exclamation marks.

But just in case you meant a word of that, I'd like to suggest you pop over to Gerrard's Cross or Chalfont St Giles. Have a quick shufti around. Don't come back.

Here is a copy of a letter,sent to Southwark Council.

Regards the proposals for new raised crossings outside Somerfield's in Lordship Lane,I and many of the residents in Ashbourne Grove would not be in favour of this scheme for the following reasons:

(1) Ashbourne grove is the nearest turning before this proposed crossing and therefore would become more of a rat run than it is now, the traffic is bad enough at the moment without adding more congestion.

(2) We have been complaining about the parking in Ashbourne Grove now for the last six years, to no avail, taking parking spaces away from lordship lane will only lead to more cars parking down Ashbourne Grove, and more upsets for the residents. Somerfield's was allowed to build on a car park, when parking spaces are at a premium, they were also allowed planning permission above their shop for 12 flats, on the understanding that these people moving into these flats did not have cars, What a load of rubbish most of them have cars and where do they park, ASHBOURNE GROVE..

(3) Somerfield's were allowed to get away with planning permission because they said they had some were to put their rubbish which it now turns out that they did not have any were to put their rubbish other than in the street outside a food store.

As for the cycle lane this will cause even more congestion in Lordship Lane, all this money, in a time of recession when Councils are cutting back on disabled carers, you are proposing to spend money of the tax payers on cyclists who contribute nothing to the running of our roads, and putting the cyclists over the motorist who without you could not maintain the roads.

This proposed crossing scheme is also on a very slight bend which could cause problems late at night when the road is quite.

Yours sincerely

Fred Ricketts

Firstly - cards on the table I think that both crossings are a great idea, though I have no particular views about the cycle segregation behind EDT

So with my colours nailed to the mast - the above posts have made me smile and then grimace, so aimed at no specific posters:

1. If you support the proposals - fill in and return the form

2. If you don't support the proposals - fill in and return the form

3. Hopefully crossings are installed because they benefit the community more than they disrupt it - so just because 'you' can walk the hundred yards or so to the nearest crossing, don't assume others can too - elderly and infirm people may for example appreciate a crossing opposite the busiest supermarket on LL

4. The options on the form set out various proposals that hopefully address the concerns about the crossing being on a bend and therefore in a blind spot - extended payments for example

5. The issue of lost parking is also addressed by the options - a choice of lose a few or lose a lot - is parking really such a big deal? If so perhaps we should remove all the crossings to create valuable parking spaces....?

6. Do we really need someone to die or be injured before we can determine whether this is a 'good thing'?

Sorry for the rant

Mike :-$

mikese22 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> aimed at no specific posters:

>

> 1. If you support the proposals - fill in and

> return the form

> 2. If you don't support the proposals - fill in

> and return the form

> 3. Hopefully crossings are installed because they

> benefit the community more than they disrupt it -

> so just because 'you' can walk the hundred yards

> or so to the nearest crossing, don't assume others

> can too - elderly and infirm people may for

> example appreciate a crossing opposite the busiest

> supermarket on LL

> 4. The options on the form set out various

> proposals that hopefully address the concerns

> about the crossing being on a bend and therefore

> in a blind spot - extended payments for example

> 5. The issue of lost parking is also addressed by

> the options - a choice of lose a few or lose a lot

> - is parking really such a big deal? If so

> perhaps we should remove all the crossings to

> create valuable parking spaces....?

> 6. Do we really need someone to die or be injured

> before we can determine whether this is a 'good

> thing'?

>

> Sorry for the rant

>

> Mike :-$

good post, have already filled in form! yes I agree, express your opinion directly to Southwark, been doing it for years...

yes, parking spaces are not everything! but it's the lose a few, lose a few, lose a few more,

and ta dah! now (surprise surprise) we suddenly need res parking,

and ta dah! ... retail turnover plummets... shops close, ED takes a down turn, etc.

not good for any of us...

http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2008-w29/img.274830_t.jpg