Accident on Lordship Lane / East Dulwich Grove

I'm so sorry to hear this. However, if your mother is lucky enough to be treated by Mr Graham Groom, as I was at King's this summer, then you could not hope to have a better orthopaedic surgeon. He is quite extraordinary. As are all his team. I wish your mother a very swift recovery

I was only the other day sitting at this junction in traffic. I hate it. The layout and safety when crossing east dulwich grove at the junction takes a lot of concentration, especially with children! You've also got to be pretty quick. I'm rarely in a car as I don't drive myself but when I am i notice much more at that crossing. Just 3 days ago some idiot did a right turn, there is no right turn there for a reason as he got honked and hooted by everyone that witnessed it. At that moment I wondered how that rule is enforced, there is no camera facing east dulwich grove, unless the traffic lights to the right have one installed. I imagine many a car does a right turn there at night when it's empty!

Sympathies to the lady and wishing her a speedy recovery.

Even the aerial shot on google maps shows an example of the problem.

White van stopped in yellow box obscuring the view of pedestrians crossing road, car going south L-Lane commits to right turn into East Dulwich Grove whilst pedestrians are still crossing. What is going to happen next?

The other problem in my opinion is the lack of appropriate investigation and sentencing by the justice system. Hospitalizing someone then leaving the scene should get you a lengthy custodial sentence and life driving ban imo.

The victim of this hit&run caled me earlier today - after 11 days in hospital she has been released but has a long period of recovery.

I explained I've asked officers for a site meeting to discuss what can be done. Many, since this appalling crash, have highlighted this location as causing them fear.

I also suspect that the renewal of the entry treatment has reduced it clarity. Even so we need to intervene more IMO at this junction to make it much safer.

Please do email me any idea you may have to make things better.

Many, a very long time before this appalling crash, highlighted this location as being dangerous and if something had been done, this lady could well have been saved an appalling ordeal.

I stand by my previous suggestion for a 3-way, traffic-light controlled junction with crossings on three sides. Others have endorsed this as an approach. But I ask again - why on earth are you seeking potential remedies from the general public? A qualified road designer could come up with viable and implementable options in a morning.

Raising the road 'table' by a couple of inches and installing 20mph signs have done precisely nothing for safety at this junction. These measures have only given the council cover on the cheap so they could demonstrate they'd done something if/when someone got hurt. Well now someone has been, it will happen again and near-misses are going unrecorded every single day.

Get the council to take this bloody seriously: engage a qualified professional instead of asking the public what they'd like to see, spend some proper money and get it fixed once and for all.

Good news that the lady involved has at least been able to leave hospital.

I witnessed a shocking near miss there very recently. An elderly couple were crossing, one trying

to support the other, and they clearly needed to take their time. A young female driver made a swift right turn, honked her horn and missed them by a whisker. There was no time to get her registration number, another driver remonstrated with her but she didn't care and sped off.

Coming home from work New Year's Eve, some pratt decided that to turn right from EDG into LL - it was half way over the yellow zig zag lines and almost crashed into a car legitimately turning right from LL into EDG. Several motorists beeped and gestured him, but he ignored everyone. definitely needs a camera in this junction

THANK YOU!

I am the person who was involved in this hit and run incident on 22nd Dec. I would like to say a very big thank you for all your concern and well wishes. I am in great pain but feel very lucky, things could have been much worse!

I was in hospital from 22nd Dec until 31 Dec and missed Christmas with my son, daughters and two grandchildren, which upset me very much. Thank God I am home now and although I am fully dependent on the family things can only get better.

I have multiple fractures in my right leg and a toe to thigh cast. I was thrown from the car on to my left shoulder and that side of my head so I have bad tissue/muscle damage to my shoulder, this should heal in a couple of weeks time.

I have contacted Councillor James Barber as obviously after all the comments on here, this junction needs to be made safe to cross. I want to do all I can to make this happen soon, what happened to me could have happened to any one and it sounds like there have been a few lucky escapes already. This could have been a totally different outcome and I don't want anyone else going through this. I have been told there are up to four witnesses. The police had taken until Friday 2nd January to tell my husband that unfortunately they haven't made any progress in finding the driver or registration No.given to them by witnesses, the reg number seems to be incomplete/incorrect.

I want to say thank you to the many people who were there at the scene, helping to keep me warm and safe until police/ ambulance and my husband arrived. Thank you. Freda Grehan.

Glad to hear you are back home and on the mend. My wife was sadly the victim of a hit and run in London many years ago and almost died; she sustained life changing injuries which went on to cause related long term conditions. In her case there were no witnesses that came forward, and she came round from being unconscious by the kerbside with people walking past her as if she wasn't there, the Police did nothing to help.

I hope something IS done about this junction and that even stricter measures are taken against motorists who drive dangerously in the area, despite the side roads around Goose Green being a 20mph zone, too many stupid drivers go much faster than that.

If James Barber is reading, the corner of Crawthew Grove where it meets Spurling Road regularly has drivers turning right into Spurling Road at speed or without slowing down and I have almost been hit on many occasions there.

Hi Freda, I am so pleased to hear that you are home now and recovering, but sorry you had such a terrible experience and grim Christmas.

I am really appalled that a) the driver of the car didn't stop and b) the police haven't come up with anything, despite there being witnesses and a partial registration number. You must feel so let down and disappointed!

Sending my good wishes for a full recovery and hopefully some sort of satisfactory outcome from the police investigation.

Get well soon Freda, that crossing is an absolute nightmare with no safe way to cross and it is completely impractical to expect pedestrian traffic to circumvent this completely. It is sad that it takes a serious accident to get the message across to the council that someone will be killed if it not made safe.

@SE22cat - sad to read of what your wife and yourself had to go through and you are completely right about drivers ignoring the 20mph limit. The limits don't amount to much if your partner/child is run over by a speeding driver. Crawthew Grove is becoming dangerous as speeding drivers use it as a short-cut to and from crystal palace etc. The speed bumps are inadequate and the traffic volume is very high.

Hi worldwiser,

A three way signalled junction has been considered and modelled a number of times. It sounds so easy.

But such a junction would need to remove all parking on Lordship Lane for 100m north and south to effectively create 2 lanes both ways. Effectively it would feel like a dual carriageay junction with commensurate higher speeds when green. The advice we received was that for any improved safety from controls from the lights would be countered by great speeds of traffic when green.

NB. We also done a great deal to make this junction safer. But clearly we need to do more.

Hi edhistory,

When does that picture date from?

Is it from before or after the entry treatment?

Hi SE22cat,

Many thanks for pointingo ut this other dangerous junction.

Could there be a pedestrian crossing on East Dulwich Grove, set back maybe 15 metres from the junction? With large speed bumps on LL either side of the junction to prevent drivers speeding round the corner, and railings to prevent pedestrians taking a shortcut?

I love how the loss of parking is being used as one reason not to reform a dangerous junction.

No way they'll put road humps on LL. If they had any real balls, they'd raise the level of LL to that of the pavement. This is standard practice all over Europe where accident rates are far lower. They've done it in K&C and achieved just that.

It doesn't have to be a double lane on both sides. James. All you need is a short filter section on the southbound side (a la EDR/CPR). No need to put a second lane on the northbound side as left-turning traffic has nothing impeding it that would require a queuing lane.

The other issue on Crawthew is people routinely flouting the one-way system. The signing isn't adequate enough and drivers are always parking against the flow or just thinking it's still two-way to LL.

Indeed this would help in my view as one who as a pedestrian has had several near misses at that corner - one issue being it is difficult to make eye contact with car drivers who are in a rush.

But then traffic wanting to go in this direction would be displaced in part to Tintagel Crescent, Elsie Road, Derwent Grove etc perhaps suggesting each should have a barrier for motor vehicles half way along?

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surely the easiest/cheapest thing to do would be

> to ban right turns from Lordship Lane into Dulwich

> Grove except for buses. The near misses I have

> had/seen, all come from cars speeding right to

> buck the traffic lights.