Altered Thameslink Service Tomorrow Monday (26th Jan)

Trains are running past Blackfriars this morning, I'm on the delayed 8.01 and it's busy but not crazy rammed, there was a Blackfriars train also scheduled to stop at pr at 8.10. Let's hope the flood issue is resolved and things get back to normal!

Strawbs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Trains are running past Blackfriars this morning,

> I'm on the delayed 8.01 and it's busy but not

> crazy rammed, there was a Blackfriars train also

> scheduled to stop at pr at 8.10. Let's hope the

> flood issue is resolved and things get back to

> normal!

9:04 was rammed - only 4 carriages - but everybody squeezed on, just.

Strawbs Wrote:

> I missed the 42 by 10 seconds so I can vouch for

> them leaving!! Then stood in the pi$$ing hail

> waiting for a 63 (yes I know I am moaning), anyhow

> bus was rammed but kudos to the driver who took as

> many of us as possible and Then bus cleared not

> long after at a tube station (sorry no idea which

> one but only a few stops after Blackfriars) so if

> you can hold on for a few stops then you are

> away..

It'll be Southwark.

Sometimes I catch a (pretty empty) bus to Waterloo - pint :)

- then 63 from there.

James Wrote:

> So why is this line so much worse than others? Has

> it been cursed by black magic?

To be fair, services into London Bridge are screwed and the East London line has been extremely unreliable too.

It's almost as though the regular above inflation fare hikes and huge public subsidies are being used to generate dividends for shareholders, rather than to provide a public service.

"So why is this line so much worse than others? Has it been cursed by black magic?"

It's obvious surely - this line runs through Farringdon which has had a SHEDLOAD of work done to the whole area over many years. Looks like that work has taken a toll and the flooding in that area is having knock on effects through the line

It's hardly black magic

StraferJack Wrote:

> "So why is this line so much worse than others?

> Has it been cursed by black magic?"

>

> It's obvious surely - this line runs through

> Farringdon which has had a SHEDLOAD of work done

> to the whole area over many years. Looks like that

> work has taken a toll and the flooding in that

> area is having knock on effects through the line

>

> It's hardly black magic

There were definitely problems before the floods - I attributed it to knock on effects from London Bridge.

Govia have apologised for all the issues and blamed the weather and ongoing improvement projects.

http://www.stalbansreview.co.uk/news/11534463.Govia_Thameslink_forced_to_apologise_after_complaints_of__endless_delays_and_huge_system_failures_/?ref=mr

"During questioning, senior management from GTR admitted that performance of the Thameslink service had been in decline since September 2013. They said this had continued after GTR took over the franchise on 14 September 2014. They explained that the deterioration was due to a combination of poor weather and a number of incidents and project work along the route."

http://www.stalbans.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/press-room/items/2014/december/concern-expressed-about-deterioration-of-thameslink-service.aspx

Its strange that all the action about thameslink is coming from St Albans - or thats what searches seem to take me to.

So back to a normal service this morning: 9:01 from Nunhead broadly on time, but only 4 carriages, no warning, people left on platform. 9:14 was 20 minutes late, again 4 carriages with no warning, people left on platform. 9:29 about 7 or 8 minutes late, 4 carriages as normal, btu got everyone on. Govia claiming this was due to lack of rolling stock due to water damage from flood. But judging by Twitter this impacted almost all services on every line: people at Tulse Hill said 6 trains in a run were running short.

Oh and it's not just Thameslink: the 9:11 Victoria train was also cancelled.

It is abysmal.

I have given up going to Peckham Rye and waiting on a platform for a late train only then to not physically be able to cram myself onto a packed train. It's ridiculous and quite depressing. Even if you do manage to jam on it is extremely unpleasant standing squashed from all sides with someone breathing in your face from about a foot away, because they are jammed in next to you.

Yup - back to normal again. 8:36 arrived 10 minutes late this morning and packed solid. About to head home from Farringdon but National Rail reckons the 6:33 is 23 minutes late. Looks like an hour on the 63 it is then. Hopefully the Radio 4 segment will raise awareness of this shambles...