Aircraft noise -

lparsons

Settling my children. Been roughly every minute but Max 90 seconds and min 30 between maximum plane noise for the last hour that I've been listening. Need to atop listening but sure don't remember there being so many in the past..

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/24/heathrow-airport-third-runway-discussions-government

"Heathrow hints it may oppose ban on night flights as price for third runway".

'While most of the commission?s 11 requirements, including compensation topping ?1bn to buy out homeowners or provide for insulation schemes, echo Heathrow?s own pledges, the airport is particularly concerned by a ban on scheduled night flights between 11.30pm and 6am. Holland-Kaye said banning early-morning arrivals would impact on lucrative business routes: ?We have a significant number of routes to Hong Kong and Singapore. That?s getting key trading partners into the UK to start their business. It?s very popular because it?s an important route: we have to have some time to reflect on those and discuss them with government and airlines.?'

• 2 weeks later...

hpsaucey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Right - seeing as I'm the sleep deprived one my

> turn to comment.

>

> Yesterday morning: big beast of a plane over

> around 4:30 a.m. Flat/ bed/ head vibrating with

> the noise of it. Then every few minutes till gone

> five and oddly, a break for a while.

>

> This morning, currently thundering over nicely at

> a constant rate...

> Thundering isn't an exaggeration - is it the

> cloudy weather conditions making it seem worse or

> are they flying lower?

>

> HP

Which road are you in?

I sometimes hear lots and lots early in the morning, say5/ 6 am onwards, then it cools off.

Bobthefunkhouse Wrote:

> Oh my god - a couple of motor cars passed my house

> today - What a noise they made! LOL - Yawn I can't

> sleep because of such inconsiderate people driving

> there motors past my house! And what with the

> aircraft Jeeez - when can we get back to horse and

> cart! PMSL

Yawn .....

Bobthefunkhouse Wrote:

> Oh my God - hpsaucey your tired, your yawning -

> Quick get and early night before those damn

> aircraft start flying over! Hahahaha

Are you sure it's not you who's tired? Your grammar and spelling seem a bit jaded.

"Oh my god - a couple of motor cars passed my house today - What a noise they made! LOL - Yawn I can't sleep because of such inconsiderate people driving there motors past my house! And what with the aircraft Jeeez - when can we get back to horse and cart! PMSL"

Funny you say this - now Underhill Road is back open to buses, had forgotten what a racket they make!

Funnily enough I had been expecting to note the onrush of traffic in Underhill - maybe it's because it's the school holidays but I have found that the change from blocked to unblocked has not had the impact I was anticipating. And I am really pleased to see (and even hear) the buses back again. I live in a street which usefully leads to places that I, and others, want to get to. I have been happy to accept that that also means that people will use it. It's a trade-off.

If you're bothered by aircraft noise in the area, then this is for you.

Roughly half of planes arriving and departing from Heathrow belong to the Airbus A320 family which have been in service for a number of years. You always know when one of these is around because it makes a high pitched whistling noise, unlike the lower rumble of other planes. This whistling is generated by air flowing over a number of holes in the wing called Fuel Over Protector Cavities. Only now has a fix been manufactured, which is being implemented by a number of airlines. Lufthansa and Air France have almost finished with their Airbus fleet. BA (i.e. the prime noise generator at Heathrow have yet to start, but allegedly will do so in October 2015).

If you're wondering, the noise difference is immense. A Lufthansa A320 is not audible indoors, and not intrusive outside.

More information here: http://www.greenaironline.com/news.php?viewStory=2116

fabfor Wrote:

> Doesn't help those living near Heathrow but should,

> hopefully, bring us some relief.

>

Like anyone on here will give a shit about people living elsewhere, so long as precious East Dulwich us alright Jack.

Otta Wrote:

> fabfor Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Doesn't help those living near Heathrow but

> should,

> > hopefully, bring us some relief.

> >

>

>

>

> Like anyone on here will give a shit about people

> living elsewhere, so long as precious East Dulwich

> us alright Jack.

Anyone who lives near Heathrow BOUGHT into the noise they knew what they were getting.

In ED we didn't many of us have been here since WAY WAY before the Aircraft NOISE !!

Not V difficult to understand OUR position !

I have no idea whether the flight paths have changed over the last few years but I have had aircraft noise since I moved here 23 years ago. The 4.45am plane has made my windows rattle when it flies over. Sometimes it's noisier than others but I don't recall a time when East Dulwich wasn't impacted by aircraft noise.

tfwsoll

That hasn't been my experience.

Sure aircraft have flown over ED for many years but we've never had the current every 2 min aircraft noise with aircraft flying low above us. That's a recent development.

Around three years ago the intensity changed it became more intense directly above Dulwich.

With westerly winds.

It is now a constant whistle from a320s as mentioned above.