Walking in South East London

Sorry to be totally off-topic but I noticed there a mention of a badminton club - how could i get details of that please? Also, LYM - there's an enclave of fellow Tykes (mainly from West Yorks) living in Forest Hill. One of them told me it was so popular because it's got the only views comparable to Yorks in this benighted city :o) I'm not sure myself - what do you think?

hackette Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to be totally off-topic but I noticed there

> a mention of a badminton club - how could i get

> details of that please? Also, LYM - there's an

> enclave of fellow Tykes (mainly from West Yorks)

> living in Forest Hill. One of them told me it was

> so popular because it's got the only views

> comparable to Yorks in this benighted city :o) I'm

> not sure myself - what do you think?

Hi Hackette,

A few of us forumites and also non forumites play badminton regularly. Next game tomorrow morning at 10 am. PM me if you fancy coming along or if you would like to know about further games.

I highly recommend a walking trip around the village of Downe in the London Borough of Bromley.

Lot of cycle paths and rights of way across unspoilt rolling countryside, two wonderful pubs in the village which is very picturesque, and of course the wonderful Downe House (home of Charles Darwin) is on the outskirts of the village and is open from February through to sometime after summer which is a wonderful trip back in history and they do tea and cakes which are great too.

Good transport links into Bromley or Orpington via bus, which is of course just a train ride away from Peckham Rye Station.

Louisa.

London Kings Cross to York, change at york and head Masham way.... sorry not helpful... would second Shoreham - Eynsford - Otford area. There is a little stream by a ford in Eynsford which is reasonably pretty to eat sweets from the little sweet shop on the corner. The big complaint I would have is what is it with the pubs round there, they are sooooo unfriendly - walked in and thought maybe I had grown two heads. Not unlike American Werewolf in London - plus with awful awful beer. oh for a pint of black sheep, a buxom barmaid and the faintest whiff of manure.

There's a very active walking group in East Dulwich, it's called the Southbank Ramblers, part of The Ramblers. We have a 4-monthly programme of walks on Sat, Sun, and often Weds, sometimes other days too. We even have 2 walks some Sats, a long one (12-15 miles) and a shorter one (5-8 miles). On the 1st Sat of the month we have a shorter walk of 5-7 miles, to encourage beginners. These are lead walks, we go by train meeting at the appropriate station, and walk at the pace of the slowest person. Often, there's a pub lunch stop!

Walks I've done recently include Chistlehurst 5 miles, around Guildford 10 miles, Riddledown 5 miles, Banstead 6 miles. For more details, look on our web site. New members are always welcome!

A group of us went down in 3 cars to Paddock Wood for an organised walk, done once a month. Not a forum thing and non forumites apart from me ( i think, you never know on here whos who). It was great, sunny day, woods, rivers, streams, horses, electric fences, lunch by the river and people got extremely muddy so i recommend getting the right gear if you are going into the greenery. Nice rainbow at the end of it when it started p!ss!ng down with rain. Nice tea in the garden centre too.

dita-on-tees Wrote:

> London Kings Cross to York, change at york and

> head Masham way.... sorry not helpful...

No it was not. That was cruel, just cruel, to mention Masham. Sob. I may have to get on a train now.

Crikey - ain't London a scary place!!! Apologies for my absence but have had lots of urgent tasks to complete.

1. Putting together beds, drawers, bookcases, wardrobes and ferret hutches

2. Calming mum down - "I'm sure there won't be murders on my road every week, it's actually really nice here!"

3. Sharpening my elbows to give me a chance of getting on the bus (in Cleckheaton they have invented a queueing system which has been patented and hopefully will be released at a bus stop near you shortly).

Anyway, all this means that the walk never happened but have rescheduled for two weeks forward. Also invested in two walk books (The London Loop & Walks in London and the SE). I thought the leaflet website was very useful too (free too - we love that where I'm from)!

Nice response, LYM - as the daughter of a Yorkshireman I know where you're coming from. However, try the queue for the buses at London Bridge if you're feeling homesick. Well over 100 people at any one time, and really quite orderly. No-one will talk to you, mind, that's for mad out-of-towners.

LYM, my family are a bunch of nomads so we never had much chance. And when I say chance I'm afraid I mean Charnce, not Channts.

Basically, your progeny are probably scuppered, although if Mrs LYM is a LYW then you have a better chance of keeping to the true faith. Don't tell your mum, she's got enough to worry about.

hackette Wrote:

> It's such a shame that Black Sheep doesn't

> travel... What time's the next train to York?

xxxxxx

ffs you can get it in bottles :)

OK maybe not the same :-$

We ended up following Eliza.D's suggestion of Eynsford yesterday - half an hour on the train (a fiver) and a great spot to pootle around. The day ended up being much warmer than we genuinely believed it would so excessive layers meant we didn't walk as much as planned but we will be back. And checking out the other suggestions on here too