> Lordship Lane restaurant scene circa 2015:

>

> Indian/Italian and/or Pizza restaurants in

> abundance.

>

> Anything else? Ermm not really.

>

> Louisa.

That?s ridiculous?there are 3 Italians including this new one on ED. In addition to this there is

? Japanese,

? Turkish (Hisar)

? American (Flying Pig)

? Indian (several)

? Fish and Chips

? Gastro Pubs

? French (several?Le Chardon, Boulangeri Jade, ToastED

? Chinese

? Thai (two places)

? Spnaish Tapas at Pretty?s in the evenings (very good)

? We had a Greek place on Melbourne Grove and it shut down

? We had a Mexican place and it shut down

If its a good Italian I'll be pleased to have it on the Lane. Didn't really like Koz, prefer Hisar.

A good Italian with a varied menu will be do well no doubt.

Personally I like "small chains" - they have at least a record of success without the "big chain shame"

Mick Mac Wrote:

>

> Local businesses are reacting to the Cinema foxy.

> I know the Palmerston is planning an early evening

> pre-cinema fixed price meal. like a pre theatre.

So how many people are actually going to go to a local cinema ?

How often are they going to go ?

How much is it going to cost ?

I have not been to the Cinema for 37 years. Midnight Express.

Apart from Sat Morning 'Flicks' at the Odeon Peckham when I was about 10,

I probably have only been to the Cinema 10 - 15 times in my life.

Is there going to be enough people to fill three screens every night. ??

I really don't know.

DulwichFox

As pointed out LM, ToastED is hardly French, neither is the one we are not allowed to name. Granted we have one Turkish place to eat in and a few gastropub type menus. Alongside various Italian and Indian places that's about it? One Thai place too forgot about that. Disappointing at best for a resident, let alone a visitor who reads all the estate agent hype about LL and it's gastronomic treats!

Agree with the Fox, cinema culture these days isn't what it used to be. Even on a 2 for 1 offer they're half empty most of the time. Who knows, I wish it well of course, but whether it drastically changes the lane in the same way an M&S or Waitrose would, I'm yet to be convinced.

Louisa.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I have not been to the Cinema for 37 years.

> Is there going to be enough people to fill three

> screens every night. ??

>

> I really don't know.

>

Fox, I think you would be surprised how many people do actually go to the cinema.

I guess that's why they are opening a new one :))

But, a bit like pizza restaurants not being intended for people who don't like pizza, cinemas are not intended for people who don't go to see films :))

Louisa Wrote:

< One Thai place too forgot about that.

There are two actually - Thai Corner Cafe in North Cross Road, and the one in Lordship Lane - can't remember its name, which I think changed. Both mediocre in my opinion.

There is also The Begging Bowl in Bellenden Road, which is much better and a mere hop skip and jump away from ED :)

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> >

> > I have not been to the Cinema for 37 years.

>

> > Is there going to be enough people to fill

> three

> > screens every night. ??

> >

> > I really don't know.

> >

>

>

> Fox, I think you would be surprised how many

> people do actually go to the cinema.

>

> I guess that's why they are opening a new one :))

So why did the Old Odeon in E.D. close down. ?

And the one in Peckham , Depford, Camberwell, Lewisham , Eltham , Bromley , Catford ??

And The Gaumont Peckham and The Astoria and the Regal Old Kent rd.

The cinema in Forest Hill Capital ??

Because no one went to them any more. and they all went broke.

That's just the ones I can name.. Not bad for someone who never goes to the cinema.

The Cinema is very much a Cult thing these days.. It has a limited novelty value.

Foxy

Koz belongs in Beckenham much more I think. Food offerings round here need to be more on trend.

The cinema will be packed. Older forumites may be unaware of this but much like local restaurants and all things boutiquey and farmers' markety, cinemas of the plusher and more intimate kind are having a huge resurgence among 30- and 40-somethings.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> How long have the cinemas in Brixton, Clapham and

> Greenwich been open (all PictureHouse cinemas)?

> 20/30 years? If so, why should the ED cinema close

> in one year, since it will cater for a similar

> audience?

Agreed... They've clearly got a successful business model and given the similarities between the demographic in Brixton, Clapham and Greenwich with ED I can't see it failing. They also do a good job of selling the bar and cafe attached to the cinema as a venue in itself. I imagine the kids cinema offerings on Sat and Sun will also be very popular...

Dulwich cafe - baked potato with chilli and cheese! Quality venue. Long may it reign.

Blue mountain cafe for posh breakfast

Great exhibition - best roast in the area

Thai corner cafe, excellent and no frills.

I heard a rumour that a Mexican brand was looking at former ed deli. Anybody for tortillas?