Dulwich Leisure Centre..poor management

I have never used the gym but I swim regularly and have no complaints - I love the pool, just wish they had more time slots available for lane swimming. Also it's reasonably priced at ?2.20 per swim (I pay an annual fee of approx ?60 as a local). They are doing some things right :-)

Callie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Also agree they need to fix the aircon. We have a

> membership 4,5 years now & half that time it

> hasn't worked. Recently the floor in the gym has

> been strewn ankle deep with blue paper towel from

> the loos from everyone mopping up their sweat in

> the heat - it is just awful.

I'm intrigued as to why you'd renew your membership if it's this bad?

A deputation about the appalling service provided by Fusion was made at the Public Meeting at Peckham Harris Academy a few weeks ago. I felt Mr Hargroves used it as an opportunity to give himself and the council a pat on the back for the two new leisure facilities Southwark have in the pipeline. Completely failed to address the longstanding issues we have with the way Fusion are running all the others. Reminded me of some people I've had to work around in the past.

They have a mop.....but people wring out their costumes on the floor. A lot of blame is put on fusion management, and yes they have their faults, but the cleaners are very good, but unfortunately not respected. I think it's assumed that they will jump out of a locker, mop in hand to clean up people's mess, including disgarded shampoo bottles and don't get me started on people trudging in with outdoor shoes....

Totally agree about the poor state of the facilities at the Dulwich Fusion gym. I'm fed up of broken machines and no air con. Also they have been promising spin bikes for well over a year but this has never materialised - the reason they give for this is that the Council hasn't made the proper health and safety checks or something like that??

rahrahrah Wrote:

> How is it that this council gym is so expensive -

> more than double the price of some other, private

> gyms? Can anyone explain this?

I've been wondering about this as well. I use the Better (ha) Gym in West Norwood. It's crazy expensive but it is on my way home from work. I know if I leave and join another gym I am unlikely to go as often. I don't understand how a council run gym is so much more expensive than a private gym. Surely it should be cheaper to encourage locals to get fitter? I'm also really annoyed that you cannot just join the gym. You have to pay for swimming and the gym as part of the membership.

cmck83 Wrote:

> I'm also really annoyed that

> you cannot just join the gym. You have to pay for

> swimming and the gym as part of the membership.

Indeed. And I don't want a gym, but they no longer offer a swimming-only membership like they used to. Crazy.

But, hey, let's not worry. Two years ago, Southwark Labour promised free swim and gym for every Southwark resident if they got into power, which they did, of course.

http://www.southwarklabour.co.uk/latest-news/southwark/news.aspx?p=102279

And what's happened so far?

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200087/sports_and_leisure/3689/free_swim_and_gym/2

"At the moment this is a pilot scheme for 18s and under and over 60s, which started on Saturday 23 May 2015 for Southwark residents. The general offer for free swim and gym is planned to begin in July 2016, and will cover all Southwark residents."

Did anyone say "fraudulent promises"?

I went to the swimming pool for the first time today. I mist admit i quite enjoyed the facilities. i thought the facilities were bright, clean and inviting. i enjoyed the swim. The member of staff at the desk was warm and inviting. positive first time experience for me. the showers worked, the hair driyers worked, cant fault the experience, sorry

I was bored, so did some maths if you wanted a swim only membership.

Based on 3 swims a week...

Paying full rate: ?4.60 x 3 x 52 = ?717.60/year, ?59.80 a month

Paying monthly: ?49 a month = ?588 a year. (Includes Gym)

Using the Southwark Rewards Card: ?2.60 x 3 = ?7.80 a week = ?405.60 a year + ?54 fee for card = ?459.60 = ?38.30 a month!

The changing rooms are grim and it's the joint responsibility of the users and the management to keep them clean. There are always tissues and empty bottles lying around the men's gym changing rooms. Why is it so hard to use the bin? Maybe we get the service we deserve: people treat the changing rooms with no respect and they get a crappy experience as a result. The swimming pool men's changing rooms stunk of urine last night in the showering area. They could definitely be cleaned more regularly..... and people could also refrain from peeing in the showers.

I rarely post but felt I had to comment on this thread. I am not particularly fussy about gyms but I think this gym is pretty shit, there isn't enough equipment for the number of users, it's always hot and it's rarely tidy. I've been a member of gyms that suffer all of the both and not been bothered because they were cheap. I feel this one is a little overpriced and it feels like it's only priced that way as there isn't a huge amount of choice in East Dulwich. I'm gonna stick with it, so really this is just a moan for the sake of it but it's some vain hope that it'll effect some change.

Doubt it though.

Ive given up and gone elsewhere. When the facility was re-launched a few years ago it was great to have a brand new gym, but sadly due to incredibly useless & disinterested management, the facility is deteriorating. Coupled with other service issuess I decided I have had enough : Issues include

1) Drinking fountains rarely/never work

2) Aircon is next to useless

3) Equipment out of order for months on end

4) Most staff never acknowledge you or even look up from the reception desk as you arrive.

5) Rarely any hot water

6) Often no soap

7) Gym equipment is rarely if ever serviced therefore the touch screens do not work as they should

For ?48.00 pounds a month plus I expect tax payer subsidy, this is not good value, and Southwark council need to urgently take note that this valuable asset is being appallingly mismanaged and is going to continue to lose customers unless so firm action is taken. I would be interested in comments from Councillor Barber.

I went to the dulwhich lesiure centre yesrterday.

I swipped my card to get through the turnstyles, and I notice the the red and green lights are now out of action. Both lights have gone, any idea how do you know if you have swipped in correctly? I just kept swipping and pushing the bar a few times, until it opened.

I went to the gym. Did a really go workout, was really tired, spent a good 40 minutes exercising, so really burnt a sweat up. went to the water fountin, the one with all the pictures of the personal trainers information on the wall. I could not fill my reuseable gym cup, why? the fountin did not work,absolutitly noithing!!!

I tried the secobnd fountain, closest to the chaging rooms, and a trickle came out, whats up with the plumbling????? surely by law there should be ready made freely available water at all times?????

I asked the staff at the main reception, I was advised the management are aware of both issues. plumbers have been on site each day. Come on management, spend some money, and get some water in please, look atfer your customers

I have just had a phone call to say that the class I booked this evening has been cancelled. The same thing happened to me last night. I work shift work so sometimes find it hard fitting the classes that I want to go to in. Don't offer a class if you are not going to run it!

Steviedulwich Wrote:

> Ive given up and gone elsewhere. When the facility

> was re-launched a few years ago it was great to

> have a brand new gym, but sadly due to incredibly

> useless & disinterested management, the facility

> is deteriorating. Coupled with other service

> issuess I decided I have had enough : Issues

> include

>

> 1) Drinking fountains rarely/never work

> 2) Aircon is next to useless

> 3) Equipment out of order for months on end

> 4) Most staff never acknowledge you or even look

> up from the reception desk as you arrive.

> 5) Rarely any hot water

> 6) Often no soap

> 7) Gym equipment is rarely if ever serviced

> therefore the touch screens do not work as they

> should

>

> For ?48.00 pounds a month plus I expect tax payer

> subsidy, this is not good value, and Southwark

> council need to urgently take note that this

> valuable asset is being appallingly mismanaged and

> is going to continue to lose customers unless so

> firm action is taken. I would be interested in

> comments from Councillor Barber.

Agree with all this. The place has so much potential to be a community asset - but is currently a huge money making exercise for a private company. Subsidised by the council.

trinidad Wrote:

> I went to the dulwhich lesiure centre yesrterday.

>

> I swipped my card to get through the turnstyles,

> and I notice the the red and green lights are now

> out of action. Both lights have gone, any idea how

> do you know if you have swipped in correctly? I

> just kept swipping and pushing the bar a few

> times, until it opened.

>

> I went to the gym. Did a really go workout, was

> really tired, spent a good 40 minutes exercising,

> so really burnt a sweat up. went to the water

> fountin, the one with all the pictures of the

> personal trainers information on the wall. I could

> not fill my reuseable gym cup, why? the fountin

> did not work,absolutitly noithing!!!

>

> I tried the secobnd fountain, closest to the

> chaging rooms, and a trickle came out, whats up

> with the plumbling????? surely by law there

> should be ready made freely available water at all

> times?????

>

> I asked the staff at the main reception, I was

> advised the management are aware of both issues.

> plumbers have been on site each day. Come on

> management, spend some money, and get some water

> in please, look atfer your customers

I went to the gym yesterday. the plumbing issues seem to of been fixed.

the lights on the gym turn style are still broken, its been eight days since i completed the comment card. i included my phone number, email address and membership number. i had no contact from fusion?????