Any Art Nouveau buildings in London?

TarahC

Hi, This is not related to East Dulwich but I figured it was worth asking! I came across a beautiful Art Nouveau building in Chelsea but cannot seem to find any more information about Art Nouveau buildings in London at all. There are Art Deco London books but no Art Nouveau.

Does anyone know of any buildings I could go and see? It's a form of architecture that I'm really interested in.

Thanks!

[quote name=chazzy' date=' Art Deco is not the same as Art Nouveau, don't yer know...

]

I stand totally and utterly corrected.. rushed and stressed at work and read one for the other...

and didn't I sound like a smug b*itch... just goes to show that too much work is not good for us!!!

sorry red devil

blimey... I've apologise twice in one day on the forum... better take more care:-S

Xena, they're very different styles indeed. Art Deco is all streamlined curves and simplicity, whereas Art Nouveau (a style that flourished at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, mostly in Europe) is a wonderful combination of elaborate decoration, flowing lines inspired by nature, and austere modern design.

Not that many examples in London, unfortunately. In Britain arts & crafts style (William Morris, etc) took hold more than art nouveau, and those artists were mostly interested in furniture and textiles and small design rather than buildings. The Black Friar pub opposite Blackfriars station is definitely the best example, but there's also the tiling in Harrods meat hall (seriously!) and the Fox & Anchor pub in Islington. For the best Art Nouveau architecture experience you should go to Vienna if you can, it's an amazing city. I went a few years ago and spent the whole time staring up in awe at all these incredible buildings. It's not even just major public buildings, it's in the shop signs and lifts in old apartment buildings and park benches and especially the metro stations by Otto Wagner, which are some of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen. I hope to go back one day and see them properly, especially as my camera broke last time and none of the pics came out, grr.

List of most famous European Art Nouveau buildings with lovely pics:

http://www.greatbuildings.com/types/styles/art_nouveau.html