Mugged by gang of boys

mlewis

I think when providing a description of someone it should be kept as simple as possible. Skin colour, height, age, hair colour, male or female, colour and type of clothing. There is no point skirting round issues such as skin colour when trying to provide a description of an assailant as it's a vital piece of descriptive information. Therefore I don't see why it should offend anyone if it's specified.

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I read a description of three female muggers on

> here a while ago. I remembered it and looked out

> for them. Thankfully I didn't encounter them.

What a lovely story.

And the fact you attribute this to the fact that you didn't encounter them, rather than the button-bashing 'description' given on here being next-to-useless is cute.

The charity thing you mention is a really basic straw man argument. Well done.

I have no 'squeamish PC instincts', I'm just amazed at the misguided, thinly-veiled vigilantism that emerges every time yet another of these threads pops us.

Phone the police.

A forum won't stop you from being mugged.

Spot on Jimmy!

I've gotten a bit lost on this thread as to who is suggesting skin colour should or shouldn't be mentioned! At the end of the day though, it's a pathetic arguement to be having.

If someone is black and they mug me, I'd say I was mugged by a black person, just as I'd mention if they were white, asian or whatever. I'm lost as to why this is an issue of any kind!

I thought this was Lenk's point, but then I thought it was James' point, and yet they seem to be on opposing sides... My brain hurts.

First of all, I am very sorry to the couple who went through this, I know from personal experience that its an awful thing to go through but don't let these cowards get you down, you are better than they are so do not let them win by making you afraid of your own shadow. Be thankful you were not hurt (or one of you seriously injured or killed).

You don't need to be a genius to know that descriptions are kind of important to identifying and catching the gutless pr*cks who use numbers or weapons to commit crimes. That is why police put up descriptions when they call for public assistance. Of course you should go to the police first but the fact is that they will not be devoting much time to a bunch of kids who beat people up. So why not put as detailed descriptions as posssible on a local forum.

I know from experience police are not likely to persue resolution to crimes that don't require a crime scence, and this is probably because they just don't have the resources. Probably the best chance of catching these future members of HM Prisons will be through public vigilence, or being caught in the act.

I think its very important to be vigilant so you can (if possible) avoid danger by anticipating what might be coming. You can't always do this so if you notice that the perps of the mugging are black, white, bearded, shaved headed, baggy clothes, caps or whatever then the information shared can surely only be helpful. Even if the description is that they were 4 or 5 males that were white, asian, black or mixed in their early 20's, well surely if those are the facts then this is still useful to know if you live in that area. I live near where this happened and if i see 5 "kids" hanging around a street corner and one is wearing a black and white bandana then i will take note or perhaps call the police so its shows that just ONE piece of information can be useful.

It's awful when your the victim of a crime and the realisation hits you that its unlikely anyone will be brought to justice for the crime (for that crime anyway) so I think forums can definitely help alert people to danger to help identify these thugs and not a means of promoting prejudice.

James Wrote:

> I read a description of three female muggers on

> here a while ago. I remembered it and looked out

> for them. Thankfully I didn't encounter them.

it must've been a hell of a description for you to be able to look out for them and be sure that you didn't encounter them - detailed enough to reliably identify an indvidual (or several individuals)

i'd certainly agree that such a reliable and accurate description is useful

jimmy two times Wrote:

> I think when providing a description of someone it

> should be kept as simple as possible. Skin colour,

> height, age, hair colour, male or female, colour

> and type of clothing.

i don't get why simple is good. what use would e.g. white male, medium height, 20s, brown hair, jeans be?

surely a good description has features that allow you to distinguish the persons described from others?

cant understand why this has turned into a race thing! either the muggers were black, white or asian,why do people seem so wary of saying so, at the end of the day as long people know who to look out for thats all the better is'nt it?

???? Wrote:

> Twirly bow ties, big BIG shoes, red noses....it's

> them again

It would be great if someone WAS mugged by a clown on here (before you all hammer the 'report' button like circus seals, I mean this in jest) as the forum would have have a good first shot at a positive ID on here.

Presuming the clown was from the area.

And wore the same clothes every single day.

And didn't sneakily wash his make up off.

And struck again in a similar part of ED in front of someone who reads this forum.

Yeah, it's likely.

Hello all

Was in Londis on the corner of North Cross Road tonight at about 22:15 where a young white lad of about 20 was on the phone to police saying that he had been attacked by a gang on Whateley Road just previously (which is where I live so that was a scary walk home I can tell you!). I did not hear a description of the gang and the only reason why I give a basic description of the guy that was attacked is that there may be a pattern in the type of person the gang go for.

Really don't mean to scare anyone but just wanted to make sure everyone is extra vigilant on their journeys around ED.

Sorry to hear of your horrible experience mlewis and hope you and your boyfriend are ok.

so someones been mugged big deal. we live in an area bordered by 2 of the most notorious areas in the country- brixton and peckham, and while dulwich is generally a safe area, it is more likely seen as a soft touch by those up to no good. i have every sympathy for the op having been a victim myself twice, but the main thing to take away from the whole episode is yup property has been lost, pride damaged and confidence shook, but you got home in one piece and that is the main thing.

I know what you mean JSWilly, and I too am glad no-one has been hurt in these incidents. But we shouldn't just shrug and say "Well at least it's not as bad as Brixton or Peckham". It's precisely because ED is better than those two places that we should defend it to the upmost. And we've got a powerful new tool at our disposal; this very forum. So let's not use it to squabble. Let's use it for our own benefit.

For example, through reading this page I now know there was an incident (however small) in Whately Rd at about 22.15. From where I'm sitting I've got a clear view down a length of the adjoining Felbrigg Rd. I would twitch my net curtains if I had any! If I see a group of people acting suspiciously who may be the perps (a description, however vague, would be useful) I'll report it to the community police. If they are too busy with bigger stuff to respond, fair enough. The point is we've all got eyes, we're spread all over ED and we can be informed quickly and can respond quickly, for the benefit of all. Who's with me?

JetSetWilly Wrote:

> so someones been mugged big deal.

I thought the victim had been kicked & punched????

Isnt that assualt??

Isnt that ABH or GBH ???

NO Big Deal untill it happens to you. Can leave victims scared to walk the streets. Can virtually cripple people from leaving their homes..

Have a heart.

This is really scary, I walk home that way alone all the time and often really late after work. Can't really take any other route either. Where can I buy mace!!??

So sorry for you guys, that would have just totally terrified me.

Vince Wrote:

>>It's precisely because ED is better than those two places

By what criteria?

This post says more about ED than a million posts on here ever could.

What a small-minded, pitiful attitude.

I have disagreed with your rather dogmatic and sarcastic points on here Lenk, (e.g. Clothing descriptions are useless ....Skin colour description is useless - Unless the perpretrators happened to be bright green, in which case they'd stand out a bit.).

But I am inclined to agree with your latter point. To use a word like 'better' in this context is supercilious, lofty and totally inappropriate. What is 'better' supposed to suggest? That ED is more middle class, organic shops....WHITER???

PLEASE.

I also dislike JetSetWilly's point "so someones been mugged big deal". It can be psychologically devastating and terrifying when something like that happens. You sound as if you're all heart.

For God's sake, Lizzie, you are not allowed to accuse Vince of racism because he believes ED to be better than high crime areas.

In the subject of his post he was contextualising crime rates, nothing else.

If you have prejudices, then they are yours, you cannot in all reasonableness suggest that someone else shares them. That's offensive behaviour.