Swine Flu in Dulwich SE22

My heart goes out to all of the parents at Alleyns. I know logically that we should not be terrified, but I hate either of my children to even get a splinter so this is not good. I insist that we rename this flu "Mexican Flu", the name "Swine Flue" is simply unacceptable.

I blame the au pairs. We should incinerate their luggage when they arrive in this country and put them all in quarentine until we can be sure that they are not responsible for the regular outbreaks of scabies and head lice in the local independent schools.

It's no wonder we get an outbreak at one of the local posh schools. Guess the parents' kids at the local comps wouldn't have been able to afford to jet set them around the world, thus avoiding getting contaminated with this wretched Swine Flu.

HeidiHi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have been told many times it does, my books says

> it does, my sister who is a nurse says it does, as

> does my midwife and doctor so I am inclined to

> believe them. It's supressed so your baby isn't

> seen as a foreign object. Babycentre.co.uk even

> states that:

> Your immune system is lowered slightly during

> pregnancy in order to stop your body rejecting

> your unborn baby. This means that you are more

> vulnerable to viral infections, such as coughs,

> colds and flu (Murray 2003:197).

> http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/ref/coughsan

> dcolds/

> http://coldflu.about.com/od/faqaboutthecold/a/preg

> nantcolds.htm

> http://pregnancy.more4kids.info/64/treating-common

> -illnesses-during-pregnancy/

>

> And lots and lots of information about it on the

> website.

>

OK. I would be convinced if all the website you say did not point to the same solitary article. I have found an article which states exactly the opposite:

'Immune adaptation is not required for the mother to cope with the fetus as an allograft. The lack of HLA antigens on the syncytiotrophoblast and the presence of only the non-classic HLA G antigen on the cytototrophoblast cells precludes the fetal trophoblast from playing any part in currently recognised types of allogeneic immune reactions.'

That said there is very little reseach evidence that people can get hold of.

In most situations it is a case of looking at the the evidence in front of you and make your choice. In a diverse group of people the evidence will be interpreted in different ways.

Pregnancy can cause increased susceptability to certain infections (by and large bacterial). Normal bacterial flora on someones body (and in the nether regions) can become pathogens and cause problems. An example of this is Thrush which can become prolific in someone when pregnant when they have never had symptoms before.

My professional opinion (as a midwife of 17 years) is do not worry about it and go out and about as you would normally.

With most infections in pregnancy it is not the effect that it has on you that is the problem - its the effect that it has on the baby. Even then, the problem is the bacterial infections that are the problem and not the viral.

If you have a bacterial infection there is NO good reason for a doctor to deny you antibiotics. In fact it would be neglegent not to give them to you.

Well, the HPA say that 2 of the siblings of the Alleyns cases have tested positively. They also say that these chidlren don't go to that school; but aren't showing symptoms. My daughter has at least one child in her class with siblings at Alleyns. The episode seems to have been pretty well and promptly managed and, call me David Aaronovic if you feel like it but, I imagine if there were a risk we'd be being warned about it.

those pork ids. hope they get better soon - The best pun so far, I think.

As for the flu. Keep calm, and carry on.....WASHING YOUR HANDS THOROUGHLY AND NOT SNEEZING AND COUGHING ALL OVER THE SHOP.

Who knows whether it will come back in the autumn and cause us many more problems, or whether it will fizzle out. Either way, and even if you do think that the news media have over emphasised its importance, at least it has shown just how a pandemic might develop. London is a crowded place whose populace is from all over the world. Let's hope the paper hankie manufacturers seize on this to try to persuade people to catch their germs in a tissue, whether those germs be those of the common cold or a killer porcine superbug.

BBC:

"The two siblings go to a different London school but are related to one of the Alleyn's School pupils, the HPA said.

It is understood their small independent school is also set to close as a precaution, which would make it the UK's fifth."

The silver lining to this swining flu for me is, one hospital has just ordered about a years supply of ventilator tubing and filters from me as they are resurrecting some stored ventilators for this flu, so things aren't all bad.

Hope I get a few more before it all ends!:)

bawdy-nan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well, the HPA say that 2 of the siblings of the

> Alleyns cases have tested positively. They also

> say that these chidlren don't go to that school;

> but aren't showing symptoms. My daughter has at

> least one child in her class with siblings at

> Alleyns. The episode seems to have been pretty

> well and promptly managed and, call me David

> Aaronovic if you feel like it but, I imagine if

> there were a risk we'd be being warned about it.

I cant understand how you can think that, this govt etc will do all they can to stop anykind of panic and hysteria and if that means lie to the public to stop the chaos that any kind of admitance of an outbreak of a potent flue bug would cause then they will.

Well, I base that on the way the alleyns situation has been handled: school closed, all staff and pupils given precautionary tamiflu. Given this, it would make sense to me that the same would apply to the schools where thecinfected siblings attend.

I just don't think applying conspiracy theories makes any kind of sense in this instance. I'm pretty happy with the way it's been handled.

I don't mean that I think we are told everything about everything on a truthful way all the time but in this instance I think that were there an immediate risk, ie one of the children with a confirmed case of swine flu attended my daughter's school, I imagine that there would be some information passed to parents - as has been in the case of alleyns.

Let's keep a sense of proportion here. Any virus or bacterium, as I understand it, can mutate with dire concequences.

However, as the BBC reports (midnight May 5), "There are now 23 cases in England and four in Scotland, the DoH said. The tally in London has reached 13, according to NHS London".

Twenty-seven cases in a population of more tham 60 million is not a pandemic. My daughter has more cases of nits in her class than this on a weekly basis.

Yes, schools and public places will rightly close as a precaution. Interesting though that all schools named so far are fee-paying. If you accept the King's Shilling ...

Let's keep a sense of proportion here. As I understand it any virus or bacterium can mutate with dire consequences. However as the BBC reports (midnight May 5):

"There are now 23 cases in England and four in Scotland, the DoH said. The tally in London has reached 13, according to NHS London."

Twenty seven cases in a population of 60 million or more is not a pandemic. My daughter has more cases of nits in her classroom than this on a monthly basis.