Swine Flu in Dulwich SE22

I went to my doctors' surgery yesterday and the receptionist and GP were wearing face masks and there was hand gel placed on reception for us to use.

Also it took me 45 mins to get through on the phone, presumably loads of people with runny noses phoning the doctor in a panic.

My sentiments exactly Robbo. Does anyone recall 'Bird Flu' a few years back, and all the scaremongeing surrounding that....and then it just seemed to 'disappear'...

Tamiflu is the drug most commonly used to ward off influenza if you get it, and it is ineffective. The CDC (Centres for disease control and Prevention) reported in January that influenza A (as opposed to influenza B, which isn?t as severe as the A strain) wasn?t responding to Tamiflu, but the most recent news is that Flu A is about 100% resistant to the drug.

The Japanese health ministry has now forbidden Tamiflu's Japanese brand being given to people aged between 10 and 19 due to serious side effects, these are serious neurological and psychological effects that are not being shown to the patients, there is also a very high incidence rate of people committing suicide who have been administered this drug.

In 2007 the US FDA amended under pressure its advisory on this drug to include: delirium, hallucinations and other linked psychological and psychiatric disorders, before that the FDA dismissed any claims to such stating there were no causal links to these claims.

The Japanese health ministry also reported that between 2004 and 2007 out of a 128 serious cases of adverse psychological reactions, some 15 of the 128 reported cases attempted suicide with 8 of them dying in these attempts.

Tamiflu has serious side effects- but to save us from this 'Pandemic' our government has bought enough of it for 50 million people. And the media says nothing, and does nothing to tell us the full story. I suppose there is just too much medical / chemical industry advertising in our media to allow honesty. Perhaps people need to think outside the box.

Swine flu in this case is clearly related to unsanitary conditions of intensive pig farms in Mexico. Anyone who says otherwise is probably an apologist for Smithfield - the company responsible.

Lizziedjango Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone recall

> 'Bird Flu' a few years back, and all the

> scaremongeing surrounding that....and then it just

> seemed to 'disappear'...

As I understand it, Avian Flu (HN51 strain) is still around, and human infections still do occur. But it's spread was largely contained due to culls of infected animals, and changes in working practises. It didn't just disappear, it was brought under control through appropriate intervention.

I think the news reports are a little sensationalist, but if it kicks people into action and halts the spread of a deadly disease, then maybe it's not such a bad thing.

robbo*uk Wrote:

> Personally I think that in this recession hit time

> the drug companies are using the media to fully

> cover themselves. Media terrorism is a

> fantastically prevalent disease in countries like

> ours and I am in no doubt that Tamiflu are

> receiving astounding profits from our latest dose

> of terror. This is a sickness which is less potent

> than common flu and has so far made a few people

> slightly ill for a few days in England, yet when

> it hits Alleyns the ENTIRE school is given

> medication. Make up your own minds, but please

> dont read the Daily Mail.

I'd like to point out that this strain of 'flu is supposed to be mild compared to regular 'flu.

People seem to think this means it is like having a cold.

Most people, although they claim to have flu about once a year, have never actually experienced it. I have, and it is NOTHING like having a common cold.

Influenza is a serious threat to young, elderly or other vulnerable people. It is a serious threat to the third world and we should be doing EVERYTHING we can to prevent the spread of this strain.

As usual, most people are thinking about this in terms of themselves.....

If you have experienced genuine influenza it is not something you would want to repeat....

Asset Wrote:

> seems talk is afoot about whether to cancel

> Glastonbury in case of pandemic.......

so its not all bad news then

Every cloud has a silver lining

Lizziedjango Wrote:

> The CDC (Centres for disease control and

> Prevention) reported in January that influenza A

> (as opposed to influenza B, which isn’t as severe

> as the A strain) wasn’t responding to Tamiflu, but

> the most recent news is that Flu A is about 100%

> resistant to the drug.

I've seen their reports of the resistance of A (H1N1) to oseltamivir (Tamiflu) (eg http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2008-2009/weekly04.htm) . But their guidance as of 4 May, in which they call the current virus "novel influenza A (H1N1)", states:

"The novel influenza (H1N1) virus is susceptible to both oseltamivir and zanamivir. It is resistant to amantadine and rimantadine." http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/identifyingpatients.htm

and is still (5 May) upholding their 29 April Interim Guidance recommending "either oseltamivir or zanamivir." http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/recommendations.htm . So where's your "most recent news" from?

>

> The Japanese health ministry has now forbidden

> Tamiflu's Japanese brand being given to people

> aged between 10 and 19 due to serious side

> effects, these are serious neurological and

> psychological effects that are not being shown to

> the patients, there is also a very high incidence

> rate of people committing suicide who have been

> administered this drug.

I've had a look through the Tamiflu section of the DrugLib.com site. http://www.druglib.com/druginfo/tamiflu/

What's absolutely remarkable about the adverse reports section is that the reports (and all but ? two or three of the (attempted) suicide ones) are almost entirely from Japan in 2007. I don't doubt them, but I'd be very wary of making an over-general inference from them.

That said, on balance I think I'd certainly opt for zanamivir (Relenza) if I had to make a choice; but that's based solely on the resistance figures re non-novel H1N1, and not on any data on the current infection.

To all those who scoff at the threat of a new variety of flu - please stop pretending that you and the rest of us are in control of nature. We are not. Why tell ourselves that an almost pandemic of a new type of virus is not a big deal because it just makes you feel a bit crap for a few days? Who is to know what might happen in the autumn or if we have a damp summer? I am not panicking, but I am making sure I stay as healthy and as clean as I can and any sensible person would do the same - wiht minimum fuss and maximum common sense.

is there much of that going on Nero? I agree with your badic points and level-headed approach but I find myself in a curious place on this debate

Most of the "flu what flu??" gang are not so much hubristic about nature but all too aware of the way media and governments work (for both mutual and independant reasons) and have developed a cynical defense mechanism. And not without good reason. Not that I'm greeing with conspiracy theorists on this one either.. they are making hay with all of this. I just don't understand why this, THIS one, was deemed so worrisome?

I find it all too easy to believe that nature can develop a strain which will have potentially deadly consequences, but I just saw nothing from day one to justify the exposure. And yes, safer-than-sorry is't going to physically hurt anyone but when I see people getting on buses in south London with face masks I do think there is a greater worry viz: peoples' openness to suggestion

In reallity is there any point in worrying about it, you'll just make you selves miserable. I know it's out there and could mutate into a 28 days later type killer virus but I'm not bothered. Dont get me wrong I wont be kissing any pigs any time soon (Dont Quote me on that), I'll do my best to avoid it but I wont be lying awake at night worrying.

Was in somerfields this afternoon, the young lad stacking fruit and veg sneezed twice into his gloves, wiped them down on his trousers and continued stacking, " nice" i said to him,he just looked and carried on, if your not going to get swine flu you will get something from the apples probably :/

I had that bubonic plague once. In the sixties. The 1360's. . Blown out of ALL proportion if you ask me..Just a few blackened swellings with stinking bloody efusions but you wouldn't believe the fuss at the time.

Black Death

Ring-a-Ring o'Rosies

A Pocket full of Posies

"A-tishoo! A-tishoo!"

We all fall Down!

Swine Flu

Ring-a-Ring o'Sausages

How will we know if the people in a house have swine flu? will they be hanging a ring of sausages outside the street door?.