New pasta / pizza joint in Melbourne Grove

top notch eats - starting with really good bases and throwing on some decent toppings. Cheap as you like, too. I can easily imagine a friday night takeaway queue that stretches down the road... and that would be totally worth joining the back of.

Hi -

I actually prefer the gowlett pizza but atmosphere and beer probably help...none-the-less, I've only tried one variety at the new place so far...

it is great to have a spot closer to home for take-a-way, daytime hours, etc...and the nicest guys run it....

after a few more, perhaps I would say it is better than gowlett, but, not yet. Value and size wise, the new place wins.

My dinner tonight consisted of a pizza from this new place and a bottle of very drinkable Italian white from green and blue. All came to just on a tenner and was fucking brilliant.

I would say on the same level as the Gowlet. In fact I think they get their cheese from the same place.

FoodStories Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Stephen - you must elaborate on the 'unsual

> dessert' from under the counter! What was it?!

Well I suppose it wasn't that unusual, I just didn't recognise it. It looked a bit like a cheesecake, but it was somewhere between a cheesecake and a cream mousse, and on the top and bottom was something between sponge and biscuit. I can't remember the name of it, and it wasn't on the normal menu. Aren't I useful? But if you see something there that resembles this fabulous description, buy it!

S

I went last night too. Was you there whilst the fire alarm went off (twice) ?!

The service did seem very haphazard, but I hope it is just teething problems as they were very busy and the food was delicious!

Will definitely be back for take away pizzas.

Yes, I arrived as the smoke alarm was going off and wondered if I'd done a wrong'un. Fortunately my fears were unfounded.

I understand what you mean about being haphazard but isn't that the authentic italian way?

nicko Wrote:

> Yes, I arrived as the smoke alarm was going off

> and wondered if I'd done a wrong'un. Fortunately

> my fears were unfounded.

> I understand what you mean about being haphazard

> but isn't that the authentic italian way?

Yep, the last thing we need is American fast-food efficiencies and Lean Six Sigma processes in this little Italian Pizzaria thank you very much!

TillieTrotter Wrote:

> Sounds like a Tirimisu. Yummy

Nothing like a Tiramisu in fact, but I know my description wasn't great. I'll have a flick through the Silver Spoon and report back. Or even ask when I'm next in! Which won't be long....

S

Absolutely lovely peeps running the show but I was a trifle disappointed. Maybe my expectations were raised too much. Found the tomato base watery and not seasoned. The anchovies were tasty but not enough of them. I prefer the ones in the market in Peckham. My daughter's had loads of ham though, so she was easily satisfied.

We hvae both just been tonight (fri) and found a lovely relaxed atmosphere, although it was slightly chaotic.

I'm not sure they knew what had hit them... quite a few people turned up and they seemed a little over-whelmed.

However the pizzas were yummy (& v good value at ?5!!) and everyone was friendly and seemed to enjoy themselves.

Off license is right opposite as it is BYO

Just got back from having: bruschetta, pizza magherita, tiramisu.

all 10 out of 10. delicious. As a Italian with high expectations this is superb. Totally chaotic but felt very authentic. definitely worth the ?19 3 course meal for 2.

How lucky are we to have BYO italian in our neighbourhood!

I doubt they had a plan to open a totally chaotic restaurant, so no, I don't think it is meant to be. However,as I said in my last post, it was totally chaotic and very authentic.

I absolutely loved it and looking forward to my next pizza.....

Luisa Wrote:

> Just got back from having: bruschetta, pizza

> magherita, tiramisu.

> all 10 out of 10. delicious. As a Italian with

> high expectations this is superb. Totally chaotic

> but felt very authentic. definitely worth the ?19

> 3 course meal for 2.

> How lucky are we to have BYO italian in our

> neighbourhood!

This sounds great and I can't wait to go along, especially as its been recomended by an Italian. Sounds cheap as chips too, so a good addition to ED. Look forward to giving it a go.