ED Picturehouse. Elitest.

For someone who is on the larger side, the Peckham complex seats are a little uncomfortable. When we saw 'Philomena'

on a wet day in Harrogate, we found the luxury seats (wider and more leg room) were only ?6.99each (normal seats ?4.99).

I suggest the new ED cinema thinks about doing concessions i.e those of us over 60 get half price tickets on certain weekdays.

Chase Dulwit Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have lived in East Dulwich since 1989 and

> Nunhead before that. A friend of mine was stabbed

> at the top of Rye Lane and a sister-in-law

> narrowly escaped being bundled into a car.

So you're saying ?12.50 not to be stabbed or kidnapped seems like too much?

If I were you I'd consider that a bargain.

Chase Dulwit Wrote:

> I have lived in East Dulwich since 1989 and

> Nunhead before that. A friend of mine was stabbed

> at the top of Rye Lane and a sister-in-law

> narrowly escaped being bundled into a car. They

> are just what comes to mind immediately without

> considering all of the incidents I've heard about

> in those thirty or so years.

>

> Admittedly both where a while ago, but I really

> would not want to risk walking with my wife along

> Rye Lane in the dark just as an experiment to

> prove that things may have improved. Where would

> you run to?

I turned 11 and started secondary school in 1989, by the time I was 14 I was staying out late and coming home via Peckham. No doubt in those days you had to keep your wits about you, Rye Lane was VERY quiet at night and it didn't feel like somewhere you'd want to linger.

Equally though no harm ever came to me other than having to leg it once from a couple of other teens that wanted my money.

It is NOTHING like that now. Had a band rehearsal recently and was amazed how busy and buzzing the Lane was at about 10pm when we finished. Didn't feel even remotely dangerous.

I wanted to dislike the Picture House, as I'm a big Peckham Plex fan, but went there on a Sunday a few weeks ago with a massive hangover and those reclining seats are sooooo comfortable... only would have been better if they did bloody Marys.

aquarius moon Wrote:

> Don't be silly *Bob*. It's not dangerous to walk

> in Peckham. Things happen everywhere. Even ED.

AqM I think you've rather missed *Bob*'s point.

Otta Wrote:

> bonaome Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Otta Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > That does seem really expensive, but people

> > will

> > > pay it, so they will charge it. They couldn't

> > give

> > > a shit about people that can't pay, so long

> as

> > > they're filling the seats, of which there are

> > > about 8, so they're laughing.

> >

> > ?25/2=?12.5x8=?100. They'll be out of business

> in

> > no time, unless they put their prices up.

>

>

> I wasn't actually being entirely serious when I

> said they had 8 seats.

I wasn't taking you entirely seriously.

Picturehouse also do discounts for those on low incomes on Tuesday to Thursday before 4pm where they can pay the child rate which is ?7.

Senior Citizens can join the silver screen club where they can pay a fiver to see selected films and have tea and biscuits on the house. There's also ?1 off the adult ticket for other films.

The cheapest day overall is Monday, where all tickets all day are ?7.50. ?6.50 retired. Cheaper for members.

Not as cheap as the Plex, but you don't get sticky carpets and people talking through the film. As someone mentioned, we're lucky to have both on our doorstep.

Otta Wrote:

> aquarius moon Wrote:

> -----

> > Don't be silly *Bob*. It's not dangerous to

> walk

> > in Peckham. Things happen everywhere. Even ED.

>

>

> AqM I think you've rather missed *Bob*'s point.

I haven't missed the point.

*Bob* was taking the p*ss as usual, implying that it's worth paying ?12.50 so as not to be attacked in Peckham.

And does that make the OP feel better about visiting the cinema in Rye Lane instead? I doubt it.

My point was, that things can happen anywhere if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, even in ED.

Luckily there has never been a wrong time for me in Peckham, so I've never found it dangerous and feel safe walking around. If I wanted to go to the pictures, that's where I'd go. As others said, it's great to have the facility in ED, but not so great for those who can't afford it.

I'm 100% sure *bob* realised that already. He was saying to the OP if you're that scared of Peckham then paying the higher price to stay where you feel safe should be a no brainer. Whilst he was taking the piss, he actually had a point.

But again, there really is nothing to be worried about on Rye Lane anymore than Lordship Lane.

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> Middle-class fail by not going to the Plex.

> There's Frank's afterwards.

I remember Franks when it first opened (supposed to be a secret & not advertised) but I probably only found out because I live in SE15.

Back then it was quiet, reasonably priced and open during the day. You could sit there on a Fri lunchtime at a table in the sunshine.

Then it got discovered, got bigger, got more expensive, got so busy at night that it didn't need to open lunchtimes anymore and stopped.

I haven't been since.

aquarius moon Wrote:

> I remember Franks when it first opened (supposed

> to be a secret & not advertised) but I probably

> only found out because I live in SE15.

>

> Back then it was quiet, reasonably priced and open

> during the day. You could sit there on a Fri

> lunchtime at a table in the sunshine.

>

> Then it got discovered, got bigger, got more

> expensive, got so busy at night that it didn't

> need to open lunchtimes anymore and stopped.

>

> I haven't been since.

See, even Peckham is getting in on this elitism lark now. Where will it end?