ED Picturehouse. Elitest.

The negative comments from people about Rye Lane have serious overtones that make me very uncomfortable reading parts of this thread. Rye Lane is a vibrant mixing pot that makes me proud to be a Londoner. Much more so than Lorship Lane actually which has been so gentrified it is becoming another Chiswick / Clapham / Whatever high street. I've never felt threatened or at risk on Rye Lane in 8 years walking up and down it every day and night to my flat on Peckham Rye. It's a shame some people have such an old school mentality. Sadly, that kind of attitude breeds.

Hear hear.

Lovely as it is to have a cinema on Lordship Lane, having a ?4.99 Multiplex a very short bus ride away is one of the biggest perks of living here. Peckhamplex is safe, friendly and very cheap- I've sent my young teenagers there for years and will always check there first when I want to go to the cinema.

Alexthecamel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've sent my young teenagers there for years

Do you have a continuous flow of young teenagers then? ;-)

Sorry, just being silly.

WryRye Wrote:

> The negative comments from people about Rye Lane

> have serious overtones that make me very

> uncomfortable reading parts of this thread. Rye

> Lane is a vibrant mixing pot that makes me proud

> to be a Londoner. Much more so than Lorship Lane

> actually which has been so gentrified it is

> becoming another Chiswick / Clapham / Whatever

> high street. I've never felt threatened or at risk

> on Rye Lane in 8 years walking up and down it

> every day and night to my flat on Peckham Rye.

> It's a shame some people have such an old school

> mentality. Sadly, that kind of attitude breeds.

What serious overtones are you getting?

So I'm guessing it's an implied accusation of, what, racism and or snobbery? I must admit I haven't trawled through 4 pages of this thread, so it could be that there are some comments I've missed, but I think that it's possible to find Rye Lane a bit stressful without necessarily being a snob or a racist.

We saw Amy there last night, great (but heartbreaking) film. Such a comfortable place and not a single person appeared to get their phone out during the film (which is an impossible ask at the Peckham cinema or indeed most West End cinemas.)

I admit I could be wrong, but I think that post was referring to some posts much earlier in the thread which sort of implied that Rye Lane was a muggers paradise. Peckham did once (deservedly) have that sort of rep, but those days are long gone. I got the impression that that poster thought it quite likely the muggers would be young black males. I could again be wrong, and this thread shouldn't go down that path because the reality is that in 2015 Peckham is pretty safe.

Yes still scruffy / smelly in places, but not what I'd call dangerous. I'd feel safer walking down Rye Lane after midnight than I would around parts of Dog Kennel Hill / Greendale area. That's not to say I think those areas are dangerous, that's the point.

Rye Lane can't really be described as "pleasant". It's safe, varied, busy, novel, useful, lively, happening, unique, trendy but you cannot say it's "pleasant", an adjective that applies to somewhere like Peckham Rye or something like a quiet sit down and a cup of tea. Somewhere can be "hip" and "interesting" without it having to have bad traffic, pollution and litter.

Being frightened of telling it like it is for fear of not coming across as "cool" or appearing uptight, snobbish or even racist is for fools.

I agree with Otta. There was a poster talking about the risk of kidnap and mugging in Peckham which of course is ludicrous.

Nigello, I don't think anyone was being so daft as to suggest a reasonable person couldn't describe Rye Lane as unpleasant (in their opinion). That's very different to what Otta was referring to.

Pleasant isn't for everyone and the charms of Peckham aren't for everyone. Horses for courses.

Nigello Wrote:

> Rye Lane can't really be described as "pleasant".

> It's safe, varied, busy, novel, useful, lively,

> happening, unique, trendy but you cannot say it's

> "pleasant", an adjective that applies to somewhere

> like Peckham Rye or something like a quiet sit

> down and a cup of tea. Somewhere can be "hip" and

> "interesting" without it having to have bad

> traffic, pollution and litter.

> Being frightened of telling it like it is for fear

> of not coming across as "cool" or appearing

> uptight, snobbish or even racist is for fools.

I was walking along it last Saturday (as opposed to just living)

Popped into the CLF area and had a pint and thought how nice it has

suddenly become - when did all the real grafitti get replaced with

stylized graffiti :).

That area has no rubbish at all.

uptheworkers! Wrote:

> I see they're looking for new staff there already.

> Obviously some of the staff from when they opened

> have decided that they no longer wanted to be

> exploited with poor wages.

"Obviously" ??

I'm sure the staff were well aware of the wages before they took the job.