ED Picturehouse. Elitest.

God forbid people have a choice at either end of the quality/price spectrum in a free market...

Not to mention it being pretty standard nationally, let alone London pricing. And yet, newer and better than most out-of-town multiplexes. Surrey Quays is pretty tired for example.

Peckhamplex is quite rare for having survived on a high street - clearly the trend was that 'more established residents' and lower income/more price sensitive people weren't using their high street local cinemas, hence the closures/Wetherspoons conversions and exodus to the multiplexes of the suburbs. Use it or lose it, OP - and you old-timers lost them.

Anyone seriously concerned about The LLW would not venture into most Pubs, Restaurants, Shops......

Shop assistants are some of the worst paid.. and don't get tips as do some Pub / Restaurant workers.

Why single out the ED Picture house..

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone seriously concerned about The LLW would not

> venture into most Pubs, Restaurants, Shops......

>

> Shop assistants are some of the worst paid.. and

> don't get tips as do some Pub / Restaurant

> workers.

>

> Why single out the ED Picture house..

>

> DulwichFox

Totally agree

uptheworkers! Wrote:

> I see they're looking for new staff there already.

> Obviously some of the staff from when they opened

> have decided that they no longer wanted to be

> exploited with poor wages.

And you know this to be the case - or are you making assumptions to suit your argument?

I've lived here for 18 years and have walked the streets of Peckham - including Rye Lane - during the day and night and never had any trouble - and nor have my husband or 2 teenage sons. In fact the only violent incident that occurred was to one of my sons and that was in east dulwich rather than in peckham where we live.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> While fully in support of the London Living Wage,

> I feel that the subject of the ED Picture House

> and the LLW has been explored ad nauseam on EDF.

> Can we please give it a rest.

Sure, as soon as PH start treating their workers fairly

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Anyone seriously concerned about The LLW would not

> venture into most Pubs, Restaurants, Shops......

>

> Shop assistants are some of the worst paid.. and

> don't get tips as do some Pub / Restaurant

> workers.

>

> Why single out the ED Picture house..

Because they trade under the guise of being liberal and left wing. Iceland and The Dog and Duck doesn't.

>

> DulwichFox

rahrahrah Wrote:

> I'm all in favour of LLW, but it makes no sense to

> target a single business who is one of the better

> employers in the sector.

Could you let us know how you've come to that conclusion please? Maybe you could read about Ritzy striking workers before you answer

I repeat what I said in an earlier post, namely while I am fully in support of the London Living Wage, I feel that the subject of the ED Picture House and the LLW has been explored ad nauseam on EDF. Can we please give it a rest. Banging on about it at length seem to be an attempt by one poster at least at demonstrating how "right on" he/she is.

Nobody's forcing anyone to go to the ED Picture House. If you don't like the establishment, then boycott it. Then you can also boycott most of the other businesses in LL as well, that is if you want to be consistent.

ZT I largely agree with what you're saying, but if uptheworkers is/was an employee then they're directly affected by the wage policy so not just trying to show how right on they are.

But equally banging on about it everytime anyone mentions the place is a bit unfair.

And I would argue that loads of businesses present as more "liberal / lefty" than Picturehouse (which for me is "arty" but very much a Bussiness, even when it was a small chain), so it's ludicrous to pick out one specific one unless you're directly involved (which uptheworkers is). But expecting everyone else to do the same when you yourself probably use businesses that don't pay LLW is just unrealistic and a bit hypocritical.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Where did you hear that Andrew1011? Sounds a bit

> unlikely to me.

Front page of the 24th July 2015 edition of the Dulwich and South London Press: "Long fought-for cinema proves to be chain's most successful - BOX OFFICE HIT" and verified in the article by Marketing Manager, Dena Blakeman, who initially sourced the building.

Next?