Tell me about ED in the old days

What is now the Goose Green Trading Estate used to be the R Whites lemonade factory.

& the flats with the archway underneath them, also on East Dulwich Rd, used to be the factory for Everoak (I think) crash helmets. Who's claim to fame was as the makers of the funny peaked & pointed Pith helmets worn by the British Army in hot climates. As seen in if ain't alf hot mum.

Place Bakers, they had 3 shops on Lordship Lane, 1 is now Hursts? bakers, 1 is Badger Bakery by the plough, 1 is now HSS hire shop I think, opposite the Harvester, that one had the bakery at the back. 1 in Forest Hill, think is's dentist now and 1 in the village. I had Saturday jobs in 2 of the LL branches, as did a few of my school friends.

I remember the Harvester still being the Grove Tavern, must have been early 80's as I was very young, they had a sheep in the beer garden called Mint Sauce! From memory he used to just wander round the garden with all the kids stroaking him!

The Forest Hill Tavern used to have childrens entertainers every Saturday through the summer, magicians and the like, I remember watching them with a bottle of Coke with a straw and a packet of crisps, again probably early - mid 80's.

Spar on Forest Hill Road opposite the cemetary, so handy for those of us who lived at the top of Forest Hill Road!

The vegetable hut at the bottom of Forest Hill Road, known to locals as 'The Hut'.

'The Wool Shop' at the botton of Forest Hill Road, Owned by Ray and his mum, they sold all sorts in there!

The Moore Park on Wood Vale (think that may be SE23 though) many memories of under age drinking and pool playing till the early hours.

The Irish shop being on Underhill Road.

The Chinese/chippy on Whateley Road by the police station, 10p onion rings, we used to buy as many as we could afford and just walk home eating them!

The 12A bus.

I'm sure I'll think of many more!

Vik, my sister had her first ever Saturday job in a Place Baker, think it was the one on the corner, more or less opposite Tanna's Chemist (where funnily enough she went on to have another Saturday job). This is probably a good 20 years back!

They were good bakers.

I used to work in The working men's club behind the bar and my dad was the secretary: that was early 80's, and we'd been going there since the early 70s. We grew up in that club- my sis and me, and there were beanos to brighton and southend, dinner and dances and darts tournaments- a great place! We lived in Ashbourne grove from the sixties till i moved out in 1982 at the age of 20.

I remember Never on a sunday steak house, Gents men's store, Anita's ladies hosiery, two toy shops- Marriots and Lockhearts -which was an absolute treasure trove of old toys run by an elderly couple. I practically lived in Follett's record shop and spent all my money in there! I also worked part time in East Dulwich wine centre, which is where the off license is now near Somerfield. I too went to St John's and st clements off North cross rd.

East Dulwich was never rough as some people have said, but might have been just a tad dull! I live back here now, in Underhill and think we are really lucky to live in such a great area.

Does anybody remember (back in the early 70s I think) the cafe - the Spartan Grill? I remember having poached egg on toast there back in 1972. That was a culinary experience! There really weren't many restaurants in LL then. In fact, when the SG was closed (Thursday - early closing day on LL?) you had to go to the (rather good) kebab house where Le Moulin is now. The SG was located somewhere near where Somerfield's is now I think. Bell's fish bar was good. I think there was another called George's - was that where the Surma is now?

I remember at the bottom of DKH there being a small row of shops by the bus stop, one was called Curtis's which was a confectionary/newsagent and there was another I think called Redapples.

On the opposite side there was a Co op and a greengrocer I think!!!

The bus stands were all metal contraptions unenclosed which did not help much in the winter.

Does anyone remember the night club which ran alongside the pizza place at ED station? I worked there when I was about 18 so more years ago than botox will ever confess! You could drive down a long drive way and at the end on the right was the club.

I also later workeed in Thistels which is now Le Chardon. As Thistels it was a wine bar which used to do a great Sunday Lunch. Before that, I am told, it was a butchers?

What great memories. I love this thread.

Sue

Vik Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Place Bakers, they had 3 shops on Lordship Lane, 1

> is now Hursts? bakers, 1 is Badger Bakery by the

> plough, 1 is now HSS hire shop I think, opposite

> the Harvester, that one had the bakery at the

> back. 1 in Forest Hill, think is's dentist now and

> 1 in the village. I had Saturday jobs in 2 of the

> LL branches, as did a few of my school friends.

>

> I remember the Harvester still being the Grove

> Tavern, must have been early 80's as I was very

> young, they had a sheep in the beer garden called

> Mint Sauce! From memory he used to just wander

> round the garden with all the kids stroaking him!

>

> The Forest Hill Tavern used to have childrens

> entertainers every Saturday through the summer,

> magicians and the like, I remember watching them

> with a bottle of Coke with a straw and a packet of

> crisps, again probably early - mid 80's.

>

> Spar on Forest Hill Road opposite the cemetary, so

> handy for those of us who lived at the top of

> Forest Hill Road!

>

> The vegetable hut at the bottom of Forest Hill

> Road, known to locals as 'The Hut'.

>

> 'The Wool Shop' at the botton of Forest Hill Road,

> Owned by Ray and his mum, they sold all sorts in

> there!

>

> The Moore Park on Wood Vale (think that may be

> SE23 though) many memories of under age drinking

> and pool playing till the early hours.

>

> The Irish shop being on Underhill Road.

>

> The Chinese/chippy on Whateley Road by the police

> station, 10p onion rings, we used to buy as many

> as we could afford and just walk home eating

> them!

>

> The 12A bus.

>

> I'm sure I'll think of many more!

I remember all of these, especially the Moore Park Hotel. We used to spend far too much time in there, and even had our wedding reception in two of the upstairs rooms in 1980! I used to love the wool shop in Forest Hill Road, and I remember the vegetable hut really clearly. I used to get my meat from Linghams the butcher, which I think was in what is now part of the supermarket. One of the nicest restaurants I can remember was located in Forest Hill Road ,albeit very briefly - Casa Natalina. And I can remember eating in all of the different incarnations of Anatolia over many years.

I too remember the above. Ray and his mum at the wool/card shop. They moved to the Isle of Wight. The Moore Park Hotel was my local for a short while until I moved further down Forest Hill Rd and then it was the Herne (Jack and Vera). The bakers on Forest Hill Rd was baking all night. A hot loaf after a night out.

I never actually went myself but in the 70's the cinema on Grove Vale (block of flats now opposit the Texaco Petrol station) had a Guru who would talk love and peace and buddist philosophy.

Don't forget that iconic night spot Kings on the Rye.

I remember when the routemaster 12's used to run along Lordship Lane towards Elmers End. All changed in October 1988 when the 176 was extended to Penge.

The 12A was a nightmare to ride, it was packed all the way to Peckham and down to Croydon. I was glad when they became double decker 312's, now 197.

There was also a Saturday only bus service 185A which run to Lewisham and Elephant.

Oh, talking about green 176's, I remember the green 78's as well which went to Forest Hill.

I remember when the routemaster 12's used to run along Lordship Lane towards Elmers End. All changed in October 1988 when the 176 was extended to Penge.

The 12A was a nightmare to ride, it was packed all the way to Peckham and down to Croydon. I was glad when they became double decker 312's, now 197.

There was also a Saturday only bus service 185A which run to Lewisham and Elephant.

Oh, talking about green 176's, I remember the green 78's as well which went to Forest Hill.

SueJ Wrote:

> >

> I also later workeed in Thistels which is now Le

> Chardon. As Thistels it was a wine bar which used

> to do a great Sunday Lunch. Before that, I am

> told, it was a butchers?

>

>

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It was an old David Greig's, a chain of shops whose symbol was a thistle.

They were old fashioned grocer type shops selling cheese, ham etc cut at the counter. If my ailing memory is correct.

I never knew the one in ED but I do remember them in Streatham, don't know if they were just a Sarf Lahndon thing or national.

Anyway, I could never understand why Thistels wasn't called Thistles, particularly as it had pix of thistles around (and presumably Le Chardon still does ..... )

SueJ Wrote:

> >

> I also later workeed in Thistels which is now Le

> Chardon. As Thistels it was a wine bar which used

> to do a great Sunday Lunch. Before that, I am

> told, it was a butchers?

>

>

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It was an old David Greig's, a chain of shops whose symbol was a thistle.

They were old fashioned grocer type shops selling cheese, ham etc cut at the counter. If my ailing memory is correct.

I never knew the one in ED but I do remember them in Streatham, don't know if they were just a Sarf Lahndon thing or national.

Anyway, I could never understand why Thistels wasn't called Thistles, particularly as it had pix of thistles around (and presumably Le Chardon still does ..... )

Nice to see the old school ED Massive out in force!

KalamityKel mentioned the tropical fish shop on CP road, that later moved to the parade on Underhill. There was also an old electrical shop on that parade, more or less next door to where the kebab shop is now.

Dulwich music shop was basically where it is now, before getting above their station and going west side. Was always expensive too!

Nice to see the old school ED Massive out in force!

KalamityKel mentioned the tropical fish shop on CP road, that later moved to the parade on Underhill. There was also an old electrical shop on that parade, more or less next door to where the kebab shop is now.

Dulwich music shop was basically where it is now, before getting above their station and going west side. Was always expensive too!

I worked in the Coop bank on LL for a couple of weeks, I was based at the Peckham bank but done relief at the LL one. I also remember going to the Dulwich club with my parents a great place. Also remember the Dulwich Odeon and much much more

I worked in the Coop bank on LL for a couple of weeks, I was based at the Peckham bank but done relief at the LL one. I also remember going to the Dulwich club with my parents a great place. Also remember the Dulwich Odeon and much much more

Santerme Wrote:

> I remember at the bottom of DKH there being a

> small row of shops by the bus stop, one was called

> Curtis's which was a confectionary/newsagent and

> there was another I think called Redapples.

>

> On the opposite side there was a Co op and a

> greengrocer I think!!!

>

> The bus stands were all metal contraptions

> unenclosed which did not help much in the winter.

i remember the ones on the st.francis road side, there was one run by an old black fella, which didn,t open until 10 or 11 pm, and only seemed to do a roaring trade in red stripe and various mind blowing substances. sorted me out on manys an occasion.

Santerme Wrote:

> I remember at the bottom of DKH there being a

> small row of shops by the bus stop, one was called

> Curtis's which was a confectionary/newsagent and

> there was another I think called Redapples.

>

> On the opposite side there was a Co op and a

> greengrocer I think!!!

>

> The bus stands were all metal contraptions

> unenclosed which did not help much in the winter.

i remember the ones on the st.francis road side, there was one run by an old black fella, which didn,t open until 10 or 11 pm, and only seemed to do a roaring trade in red stripe and various mind blowing substances. sorted me out on manys an occasion.