Life outside the Premiership

barty

red devil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Would you have swapped the Carling Cup to stay in

> the Prem kpc?

The PL is not all it is cracked up to be, the marketing hype and highlights do not make up for the mediocre football played a lot of the time (including the "big four"). As a supporter, it can be a lot better in the Championship, cheaper, easier access to better pubs, more realistic pricing and, comparing Chris Hughton's brand of football to Big Eck's, I've seen an improvement in entertainment on a decimated (and near to the true meaning there) squad (there are a number of teams in the division aiming to play better football than most of the PL).

The final against Arsenal was, in the words of Mr Blue Sky, "the day we've waited for" (and yes, Jeff Lynne is a Blues fan). On that occasion, Eck got it right. And, as a result, we are in Europe for the first time in almost 50 years. To qualify for the group stages, we convincingly beat a team who has a decent record in the Portuguese league in recent years, playing in style. The man of the match was a local 17 year old who Eck would not trust to perform in the PL, but who scored a blistering goal, set up half-a-dozen good chances and showed the discipline to drop back and cover throughout the game.

I am under no illusions about how tough it will be to get back into the PL, but given the difference in styles from last year to this (and the shenanigans in the background), a year of enjoying football again will not go out of place.

So the answer is no.

Well that was a treat.

It's like the inverse of the fortress upton park season where our home form was better than the champions arsenal, but we couldn't win away.

Obviously its very early days, but if we can sort out our home form I fancy our chances (or will regret cursing us by writing that)

Well Parker's leaving was inevitable but Bentley could be a good loan signing. Demel could provide a bit of strength at the back and Lansbury could be desperate to impress Wenger with a glut of goalscoring while on loan.

That's three 'coulds' because Bentley 'could' have lost all confidence and be a waste of time, Demel 'could' get 'homesick' (as he did when at Arsenal) or be sent off all the time and Lansbury could be another young gooner who fails to realise his potential.

Could be an interesting season.

• 2 weeks later...

smashing night at Broadhall Way last night.

Stevenage absolutely demolished the once mighty Sheffield Wednesday 5 - 1, and frankly it could have been seven or eight.

I had to admire the owls chants of 'easy easy' when they got their consolation though.

My owls mate joked that at least they hadn't had a sending off, about one minute before they managed that too.

Considering I'm usually considered something of a Jonah when turning up to games I have to say I'm very happy with that.

Roll on the Championship ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Looking forward to Palace v West Ham tomorrow. Palace were great away at Brighton in the week and it was lovely to be there to see Brighton lose their first ever league match in their new stadium. 18 year old Zaha and 17 year old Jonathan Williams were the stars of the show. For anyone thinking of going the game is all ticket, tickets still available but not in the away end.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Almunia on short loan to West Ham....

Actually quoted as an 'Emergency Loan'... the amount of times I've tried THAT particular tactic. If he doesn't go back on time is there a penalty? Or if they don't ask for him back after 6 weeks do WH get to keep him?

And is there any chance of a 'That'll-teach-the-greedy-selfish-Argentinian-swine-a-bit-of-humility Loan' from our friends in the north?

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the day nursing my post-Brugge hangover. A brilliant game and result - Chris Hughton is performing miracles with the discards from last season and a bunch of freebies. And 7,500 Brummies enjoyed every moment of it and made most welcome by the whole town. Only concerns are that we're now three matches behind in the reality league, there's a possibility of more cost-cutting and player sales in January and that we may actually make the knock-out stages.

ETA: Five wins in a row now, four away and two of those in Europe. Sneaking up the table.