Life outside the Premiership

barty

Manager out, manager in and now our Chairman is, er, assisting Hong Kong police with their enquiries in relation to money laundering. Presumably something to do with "Cameron Jerome" and "six million pounds" in the same sentence.

Never dull (unless actually playing football).

Edit: And we sign Rooney - no money changing hands (clearly). Adam Rooney, that is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Roll up gentlemen and ladies, put your punditry skills on the line...

With the joy of life 'OTP' about to start (Hull v Blackpool 7.45 tonight - on Sky) it's time for the ritual froth-blowing of prediction time!

Top three Championship - West Ham (naturally), Leicester City (a decent squad and lots of money).

These two seem to be the popular choice of pundits with opinion split on the third contender between Forest, Cardiff, B'ham, Boro and Ipswich, I'm going for the latter.

Next......?

(reading Ian Holloway's comments on mental state of Blackpool - low happiness/sunshine index - they look to be in for a tough time... unless it's all a bluff?)

OK. Wet Spam, Leicester and Blues. In no particular order.

Genuinely looking forward to the season after a very turbulent summer since relegation. Taking 4,000 fans in the sunshine to Derby tomorrow. And Chris Hughton has already created a feel good factor around the club. Rumour has it, from the friendlies, that we may actually pay some open, attacking football this season.

And a reasonable draw in the Europa Cup against Nacional gives us a reasonable chance to progress to the group stage (the downside is Nacional's capacity is only 5,000 so ticket allocation will be minimal - that and air fares are around ?350 minimum for the date of the away leg).

Always tricky to predict as it's such a competitive league.

In recent seasons an unfancied/unfashionable team has made it a la Burnley, Blackpool, Swansea, so as

there's a feel good factor along the South Coast I'll go with Brighton.

Boro finished strongly which is usually a good omen for folowing season.

One more?...oh go on then Wet Spam, just to keep the natives happy...enjoy!

Oh, one more prediction...Sven and Shteeeve to be sacked by Chrimbo :)

Oh well, start the season as we mean to go on.

To be fair, though a pretty uninspiring affair we were the better team through much of the game and squandered a few chances.

The goal was pure west ham dna defending, we'll let in a shed load of those in any season, it's ok as long as we're scoring.

I though Piquione looked a bit isolated and there was evidence of a few long balls and iffy challenges, I hope that isn't Big Sam dna taking root.

I'm not despondent by our defeat at Derby (and nor were other fans I spoke to in the pub afterwards). Derby's second goal came from their first shot of the match - it was one of those games, the stylish manner of the football, twenty shots away from home and 4,000 fans. And the Brunswick pub. All in all, a decent day out marred slightly by an iffy result.

Cannot get away from the feeling of deja vu watching West ham on Sunday. Very attractive passing out of defence that seemed to start under Zola but still no end product. No strikers who can hit the target effectively. Sears is out of his depth, Cole is marking time and Piquionne is as effective as a loofah in a knife fight. New signings now please and put the others out of their misery and let 'em go.

Oh, and practice shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

First consecutive away wins in four years!

Admittedly they were against two unfancied teams, so I'll reserve judgement until some tougher tests*, but are there hints that I may have to grin and bear it and accept that Big Sam might be the right man for the job it it's ALL about going up?

*albeit that the tougher tests were the ones we often excel at and lose games like these by the cartload normally

I think not starting with Piquionne is the answer but if Cole goes we need at least one other striker. I agree re Sam in that Taylor/Nolan/O'Brien are working out so far.

Parker going great again (slightly off his best v Cardiff) - if/when he leaves (QPR looking favourite with new club owner) I still think Barton is a possible.

I thought WH looked nervous in their opening home game, fans too...playing away might come easier to them until they get in their stride.

A good start for my 3 tips, occupying 2nd, 4th and 5th positions...Sven and Schteeeve must be getting squeaky bums already :)

1st time in the Club's history that weve won the opening 4 fixtures in a season.

Club Record 10 consecutive League wins

Club Record 11 consecutive wins

Club Record equalling 11 consecutive Home wins

Club Record 5 consecutive away wins

Nigel Adkins reaches 100 points in the fastest time for a Saints Manager

Obviously this straddles the end of last season and this one

Compare this to our last season in the Championship where we only managed 4 home wins and 6 away wins throughout the whole Season