Life outside the Premiership

barty

Chris Sutton, a winner.

Chris Sutton began his managerial career with a win with Lincoln City today. BBC showed him in his playing days at Blackburn and Norwich.

But for me it was at Celtic where his partnership wih Henrik Larsson resulted in him scoring top goals against the best in Europe incl Juventus, Barcelona, Lyon etc. as seen in this clip.

England missed him at international level and Alan Shearer often says Sutton would have been the person he would like to have partnered at international level.

A very underrated player and a real winner.

Mick I think most people remember Chris Sutton for only scoring 2 goals at Chelsea after he was signed for ?10m rather than his exploits up north. Great record at Celtic but as we saw yesterday with Kenny Miller out sprinting a pair of Scottish defenders for his first goal I think it's his record at Norwich and Blackburn that marks him out as a good player.

• 4 months later...

we're all going to wembley, we're all going to wembley tra la la la, tra la la la

No disrespect to Carlisle but probably would have preferred Leeds as it would have been more of a sell out. I will be going (season ticket holder)

Next stop Pompey if they are still in it after today....

Should be a good game - rest of our tickets arrived today. Just hope there is no trouble

Good Guardian article

When all said and done, take the banter away and I would not want to see any club fold - even Pompey as we would not have the games such as Saturday.

It seems that they want to avoid administration but in reality that maybe their only hope. Not going into administration but not paying the HMRC debt will only result in liquidation.

Zephyr - Carlisle brought 24000 to the final back in the day (1995) when tickets were allocated in ratio to avarage gate (Birmingham got 48000) so imagine will bring similar number this time. And if allocation worked out on same basis, will be to your advantage...

• 1 year later...

I suppose best to pull the plaster quickly as it were, our one game left only technically means we're still in the premiership. In essence this is our new home.

Soooooo, manager choices.

Would love to see Bilic, was a big fan back in the day and he's done well with the Croats; obviously Martin O'Neill would be great but probably priced out of current ownership's plans.

Warnock, surely not even Sullivan and Gold could be that crass?

You definitely need someone with solid lower league experience. Getting out of the Championship isn't easy, and the last thing you want is a manager who doesn't know how to win away at Scunthorpe. Plus, frankly, your squad is pretty sh!t and likely to get worse, so you want someone with an eye for players who will get you up.

It is a poor squad to be fair. I gather there's some talent coming through the academy. Maybe a couple of years in the championship might teach them a thing or two about grit and commitment and keep their feet on the ground as their careers become somewhat rosier ie nabbed by Leeds(well, maybe not these days)/Chelsea/Spurs/Man u etc etc :-(

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I suppose best to pull the plaster quickly as it

> were, our one game left only technically means

> we're still in the premiership. In essence this is

> our new home.

>

> Soooooo, manager choices.

> Would love to see Bilic, was a big fan back in the

> day and he's done well with the Croats; obviously

> Martin O'Neill would be great but probably priced

> out of current ownership's plans.

>

> Warnock, surely not even Sullivan and Gold could

> be that crass?

New and thoroughly deserved home after terrible season - but main feeling is of deja vu. Now where are we going to find an Alan Pardew to slap a few pampered backsides and buy some lower league talent?

Is Curbs too long out of the game? Di Canio too much of a headcase? Mark Robins (just left Barnsley) too inexperienced?

I agree re Warnock and don't think even HE is that thick skinned. I fear a Hughton doing a Roeder will get us nowhere and it may take more than a season for the politburo to realise they need to keep their hands off and install a strong man. So... all eyes on the youth team then.

West Ham's season has gone proper roast tomato

"Grief counsellors are being rushed through a foundation course in Cocknese to field calls from distraught fans and the club has already instructed clubs in the Championship that, under the equalities act, their stadia will need signage written in both English and cheerfully aggressive rhyming gibberish."

"There are certainly parallels between England and the current West Ham as both have been managed by a hapless foreigner and couldn't beat a carpet."

Disappointed that Bournemouth haven't made it through the playoffs. Had they gone up as well we would have had 12 south cost derbys in the Championship next season with the Saints, pompey, the seagulls and the cherries