Life outside the Premiership

barty

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah...how stupid is that? Newcastle in both the

> first 2 games?!

1st game is away to West Brom, so an early opportunity for the nation to really appreciate that deck-chair inspired yellow away kit.

>>Newcastle being in the first two games of the season is just the way its worked out and its down to the BBC for choosing those matches to screen first.<<

But if the Beeb are showing only 10 games they really should be spreading it about a bit. As it is, already we know at least 5 champpionship teams will not get a live showing on the free, terrestrial channel at all.

Thanks for that Ted. As a Leeds fan I'm in little doubt how unpleasant Papa Smurf is. Nor would any Chelsea fan give him a positive character reference.

I do know that it is generally assumed that he saved Leeds who were 24 hours from going out of existence.

But I'm looking forward to the day he sells us on and goes back to Monaco for good.

He sold you on nearly four years ago, since when you have been 94% owned by FSF, which has "nothing" to do with Bates, of course. Why, he doesn't even know who is behind the fund.

Bates made his move a week later, on 16 September 2005. Bates and Taylor had considered raising new money for Leeds by holding a rights issue ? issuing new shares to existing shareholders ? in the Bates company which owned 50% of Leeds and owed Levi and Weston the ?1.4m. However, they decided to abandon it ? for which Bates blamed Levi's refusal to transfer the shares. Instead, they decided to issue 2.5m new shares in Leeds United, the club itself, directly to FSF. FSF would also convert ?2m of their loans into shares in the club.

That was agreed in a telephone call on one day, 22 September 2005. The effect of it was to make FSF 94% owners of Leeds United. Bates' other company, which owed Levi and Weston the ?1.4m, now had just 4.5% of the club. The Yorkshire Consortium's 50% share was reduced to 1.5%. By doing this, Bates' company skipped free of having to repay Levi and Weston their loans, because it no longer owned the club and had no other assets.

I see Sheffield Utd v Newcastle Utd is also going to be live on Sky in November (I think). Looks like Newcastle are going to get far more live coverage as a championship club than they ever did in the Premier. Wonder if Shearer will still be boss by then??

red devil Wrote:

>

> Good to see Southampton have found themselves a

> sugar daddy, things were looking very bleak at one

> stage...

Err, no it aint. Would love to see them have gone under forever. It is a little known fact that their owners tried to lobby Barclays to wind up PFC in the 70s. Would have loved to see them go under forever. S'pose I will just have to make do with them being in Div 3 with -10 points!

Scum Coonts! ;)

ratty Wrote:

> red devil Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> >

> > Good to see Southampton have found themselves a

> > sugar daddy, things were looking very bleak at

> one

> > stage...

>

>

> Err, no it aint.

Err, yes it is. Have the skates been saved from all their debts yet which are huge? ;-)

4th richest club in english football now but our new owner has said he will be careful with his spending.

Have to say that it is a relief. We just need a decent manager now. Consolidate this season and go for promotion next.

Well I'm glad the Saints have been saved - although I think they missed a trick moving out of the Dell as that was one hell of a delapidated stadium that must have been worth a lot more points for survival than filling hospitality boxes at St Mary's.

The problem is it was damn difficult to survive with a crowd of only 15,000. Whilst most appreciate that the Dell was a difficult ground to play at, it was not expandable to the club had to move.

Even Pompey are struggling financially and one factor (apart from them being s**t) is almost certainly the small capacity of their ground.

Keef Wrote:

> Ratty, I thought you'd said on here in the past

> that, rivalries aside, you'd hate to see a club in

> under.

Indeed I did Keef, this was however before I found out about the Shenanigans of their board in the 70s.

4th richest club in English Football? I guess that is debatable. Bit like QPR saying they are the richest. Still, Tony Adams will make a good fist of things I'm sure.

Re Pompey's finances. Screwed is the word I would use. I was meant to be meeting the prospective new owener on Saturday evening and he did not show - that's not a good sign. Still, it woul dnot be Pompey if things went smoothly.

The funniest thing however, about the whole demise of S**thampton is the fact that we caused it and I 4-1 am loving it. Especially the chap that hoodwinked Le Tissier and others into thinking he had millions when in truth he was a private landlord that lived with his mum!

We have a fair few outside the premiership posters, mainly for useless teams from Yorkshire - and next year I think this thread will feature two regular posters whose teams looked certain for relegation......Ratty and Jah Lush