In praise of reggae...

????

Hi there

Been out of East Dulwich since 2001 but hoping to return by end of 2010! looking forward to it! where is the hootananny as sounds just right for husband and me for a reggae night out, especially as he is a complete and utter roddigan nutter!!

Love this topic and already sitting here singing after looking up some of the youtube suggestions. Louisa Marks takes me back, remember seeing her in a club in leicester when i was 18 and was so amazed, for me she is the Queen of Reggae.

Ciao for now x x

Goodliz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ???? Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > More dancehall....but i still love this guy

> >

> > ....Barrington Levy- Here I Come

> >

> >

>

>

> Thanks for this link ???? it is a long time since

> I listened to this and never had the pleasure of

> viewing this retro video. One of my favourite

> reggae tracks and takes me back. The clothes are

> fab. The girl dancing behind the screen looks so

> tame compared to the videos now.

>

> The Hootananny does regular reggae nights. Due to

> having young kiddies it is something I have to

> give a miss unless it is very now and again. We

> went to see Aswad there (do not sound very cool

> compared to some of the artists previously

> mentioned but the really have not lost it). They

> opened with Warrior Charge and everyone went mad -

> it made the long wait for them to come on worth

> it!

>

> Also love the Cool Ruler, Gregory Issacs. Have not

> heard anything for a while from him just the

> occassional thing on Vibes FM. This station is

> great for reggae of all genres. Handily located

> next to Radio 4 - yes, I am an old fogey now.

>

> Someone mentioned Lucky Dube, I have his album but

> have not listened to it for years as I no longer

> have a record player. I can remember it being good

> though.

>

> Yes, I also agree that Bob Marley and The Wailers

> cannot go unmentioned.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> From one of the best dub albums ever. An Augustus

> Pablo/King Tubby mash up.

>

>

> King Tubby's Meets The Rockers Uptown

FAB-U-LOUS! Just had a quick "rub-a-dub" session with hubby in front of the computer...LOVE the sound of the frying bacon at the end...thanks Jah Lush

• 3 months later...

Enjoyed that last post immensely, Tillie...especially the photographs...I always thought he had such a lovely face...full of humility.

Bye the way, I remember seeing Bob Marley moons ago at the Crystal Palace Concert Bowl...when he came on stage at the very end with just a classical guitar...no backing, no reggae beat...nothing...just Bob and his guitar...and he sang Redemption Song...there was a massive hush...and when he finished we all went absolutely wild...ah bless him...

TillieTrotter Wrote:

> How funny...just been you tubing them....was a

> massive fan in the early eighties, went to so many

> of their gigs. Night night LM. x

Yes, they were good...lead singer has a good voice. Good Night to you too TT.

And here's something for tomorrow morning while you're whizzing around getting ready to go...I like it because it has such a "happy" feel to it. Do you remember that weird dance which black people/skinheads used to do to it...on the toes? I am not black and I was never a skinhead...but I used to join in anyway...stood out like a sore thumb...ah but what laughs! What laughs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u5GzG5dtXI

???? Wrote:

> Dancing like this....

>

>

> nhead-moonstomp_music

YES!!!! That's the one - ha ha...takes me back...oh boy! Them were the days! Thanks Quids.

Hey, do you remember the spats between I. Roy and U. Roy...I can't remember the titles (there were so many of them)...but there was one by U Roy which went:

*clears throat*

I Roy you a bwoy...

Move out the way...

You imitate the great U Roy...

remember?

Oh and - not I Roy or U Roy...but another of my personal favourites: Right Time, by the Mighty Diamonds...they were mighty indeed...good tunes for "close up dancing"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ieb_TP7-aqE

Sorry, but just had to post this other Mighty Diamonds gem...Country Living...the purity of their voices is never more evident than in this track...and that, combined with the subtle sound of "frying bacon" in the background....aaaahhhhh....magical....

Now you see what you've started "Agent Trotter"...why oh why did you dig up Quid's fabulous thread again...(silly question of course)!

Anyway everybody, here it is...just lie down and close your eyes...you don't even need a drink/spliff for this one...guaranteed to make your spine tingle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J6vNfuehHA&feature=related

Atila Reincarnate Wrote:

> Mikey Dread - Warrior Stylee (RIP Mikey - Jah

> Bless)

Yes, RIP...unfortunately...quite a lot of them are doing just that...Dennis Brown, Alton Ellis, Bob Marley, Augustus Pablo...but their fabulous music lives on...