In praise of reggae...

????

@LM, My Father is from Jamaica and mum's from South America, so the music is my cultural inheritance. I remember as a child of six their all night blues parties in Camberwell. They had a party once a month and it was all about tunes, curry goat and roti and my siblings and I running around the 'big people' and staying up way too late. A great way to grow up.

As I got older i kept up with contemporary music but never lost the love for the music and artist i first heard.

I nabbed all my dad's old skool records and have about 5,000 or so LPs and 7"s from the era. I had to WWF him into the ground as he didn't let them go without a struggle! Naw, i'm sure i'll have the same 'conversation' with my kids when the time comes.

Curerntly listening to Studio One's Oldies But Goodies produced by C. S Dodd and engineered by Sylvan Morris featuring Alton & Eddy, Higgs & Wilson, the Wailers, The Clarendonians, Delroy wilson, Skatalites, Bob Andy, Ken Boothe. The only way to wake up on a Sunday!

AS for today's reggae, all a bit too formulaic for me. There are a few standout artists with a few memorable tracks but at this time in the morning names escape me....

PS - don't forget The Heptones

I didn't get into Reggae until the late 80's but i think some of the more recent stuff isn't that bad. Jah Cure is pretty good and Sizzla is often worth listening to. I thought Danien Marley's Jamrock was good too.

I liked Bashment for getting grimy but find some of the lyrics too negative to really support it.

cupid_stunt Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> @LM, My Father is from Jamaica and mum's from

> South America, so the music is my cultural

> inheritance.

what a FABULOUS combination - does that mean you speak Espanole too? (And WHERE in SA exactly, it's a BIG place!?)

it was all about tunes,

> curry goat and roti

urrrrggg (salivating) CUUURRRY GOAT uurrrgggggg (dribbling now)

>

> PS - don't forget The Heptones

Ah yes - the Heptones

...I love your daughter...NO JESTERING...I KNOW IT'S 10 TO 10...WE GOTTA DO IT AGAIN...

EVERY time it's 10 mins to 10 I think of this tune! (Can't remember who the original singer was though)

BTW, any of you thinking of going to the EDF drinks on Friday? I am toying with the idea...

Were none of you ever smooooooooochin to any of these tunes?

Sitting in the Park - Cassandra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbI1W33YOEg&feature=rec-HM-rn

Jean Adebambo - Paradise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNwRFwTpEj0&feature=related

Claudia Fontain - Natural High ( One of Peckham`s finest :)) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF6RRObbrXs&feature=related

Louisa Marks - Keep it like it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci6-g-tb2KA&feature=related

Investigators - Baby I'm Yours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbvA2-FiPwk

Louisa Mark- Caught You In A Lie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbWSIuSfqD8&feature=related

Ladymuck Wrote:

> ...I love your daughter...NO JESTERING...I KNOW

> IT'S 10 TO 10...WE GOTTA DO IT AGAIN...

>

> EVERY time it's 10 mins to 10 I think of this

> tune! (Can't remember who the original singer was

> though)

>

>

> BTW, any of you thinking of going to the EDF

> drinks on Friday? I am toying with the idea...

Cant see the Plough turning into a reggae appreciation night though

Unable to post earlier, hence the delay...

@LM, me ma is... well, let's just say they speak faster than they think! As for 'Sir' Dennis the quality of his voice is in a class all by itself.

@Mscrawthew, all of those tunes and more. I think one of the lil Stunts was as a result of Ms Mark or possibly Jill Scott's Words and Sounds Volume I.

Hey no one's mentioned one of my quiet faves Johnny Osbourne's Ice Cream Love. Check the chorus: 'Because my love is warmer than a chocolate fudge.' And there my epitaph is written!

???? Wrote:

> More dancehall....but i still love this guy

>

> ....Barrington Levy- Here I Come

>

>

Thanks for this link ???? it is a long time since I listened to this and never had the pleasure of viewing this retro video. One of my favourite reggae tracks and takes me back. The clothes are fab. The girl dancing behind the screen looks so tame compared to the videos now.

The Hootananny does regular reggae nights. Due to having young kiddies it is something I have to give a miss unless it is very now and again. We went to see Aswad there (do not sound very cool compared to some of the artists previously mentioned but the really have not lost it). They opened with Warrior Charge and everyone went mad - it made the long wait for them to come on worth it!

Also love the Cool Ruler, Gregory Issacs. Have not heard anything for a while from him just the occassional thing on Vibes FM. This station is great for reggae of all genres. Handily located next to Radio 4 - yes, I am an old fogey now.

Someone mentioned Lucky Dube, I have his album but have not listened to it for years as I no longer have a record player. I can remember it being good though.

Yes, I also agree that Bob Marley and The Wailers cannot go unmentioned.

lorda mercy, 'bout time dis forum drop wid some summer goodness.

when i was a ickle bwoy, me broda and sistrem dem would play lovers rock and teach me how to rub ( dance in blues party )

here's some de chune dem

Sixth Street - Louisa Marks

Not lovers rock damn fine chune

caution - Bob Marley

Delroy Wilson - I'm the one who loves you - TUFF TUNE

Cables - Baby Why - TUFF TUNE

Stranger Cole - Stranger at your door - TUFF, TUFF TUNE

Lester Sterling - Bang a rang - TUFF TUNE

Delroy Wilson - Dancing Mood - WHAT A TUNE

Ethiopians - Train to Skaville - TUNE

Vikings - 6 & 7 books of moses - TUNE

Maytals - Pomps & Pride - TUNE