Favourite "Feel Good" Films

citizenED

I'm inclined to agree with Annaj regarding the film's storyline leaving a lot of questions unanswered.

I'm not sure whether she looks like either Kristen Scott-Thomas or Juliette Binoche as she's remained one step ahead of me concerning my unhealthy habit of stalking other forumites online.

Moos has so far given me the slip but we share a Dickensian bond at the moment that I hope to put a face to at the next drinks at the Gowlett.

It's not the plot that leaves me perplexed BBW, it's wondering whether I was being compared to uptight and angsty Katherine or romantic, but slighty mad Hannah. And don't get excited, I don't look like either of them.

As far as the film goes and it's feelgoodiness, I do like it and I do relate to what your saying about a tragic film (and there's no doubt it it tragic) being in some ways a very emotionally satisfying experience, but I agree with Moos, that it's not a feel good film.

English Patient, vastly overrated novel and film

Haven't read it, but agreed on the film. A horny but socially inept explorer roots an adulterous aristo, crashes a plane and then tries to remember it all with the help of an emotionally labile frog and a smack-addicted spy with no thumbs: not the stuff of real feel-good moments.

The Karate Kid was on on Sunday night...

No wolfie you've just got crap taste, or you misunderstand the meaning of feel good.

'City of god' was one of the most believable child filled movies I have seen, but most seem to get murdered throughout the picture. If that makes you feel good........................

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Murial's Wedding!

>

>

> RE: English Patient, vastly overrated novel and

> film IMO.

Oh yes! Although after meeting me for the first time, a friend of Mr Buggie's told him I reminded him of Murial - wasn't sure it was a compliment!!

*incontinent laughter from the Moos household re: BN5's English Patient summary*

Also is it the English Patient, or the English Patient? What do we think?

Mister Wolf and lovely LegalEagle, Dickens is definitely not feel-good but I look forward to it very much - will report back! x

Back on topic, how about Intolerable Cruelty?

Think some people are getting a bit out of focus in terms of the feel-good definition. A film that makes you feel good at the end, when the goodie obliterates the baddie in a hail of comeuppance bullets or the hero finally gets his gorgeous girl is not necessarily a feel-good film. A feel-good film is a light fluffy bit of entertainment that makes you feel like smiling pretty much throughout its entirety. Comprend?

I was thinking that there are only 2 possible conclusions to what you've written.

1) You are a 78-year-old maiden lady from Stow On The Wold, who needs an out for her darker side. Some write horror novels, others pretend to be 25-year-old gun-smuggling building site workers.

Since I know a few people who know you, and none of them has mentioned your blue rinse and soft wrinkly hands, I may (regretfully) have to put that theory aside.

So, 2) you are a softy who cried at the end of ET and has read everything ever published by Mills and Boon. The world of ravishingly beautiful red-haired lady dentists who go on holiday to Cypress only to be kidnapped by sneeringly handsome yet gentlemanly freedom fighters is all too familiar to you, you are no stranger to the lure of the glowing eyes of Lavinia Postlethwaite raised meltingly to the stern features of Romany prince Tobar Hearn.

Moos Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So, 2) you are a softy who cried at the end of ET

> and has read everything ever published by Mills

> and Boon. The world of ravishingly beautiful

> red-haired lady dentists who go on holiday to

> Cypress only to be kidnapped by sneeringly

> handsome yet gentlemanly freedom fighters is all

> to familiar to you, you are no stranger to the

> lure of the glowing eyes of Lavinia Postlethwaite

> raised meltingly to the stern features of Romany

> prince Tobar Hearn.