former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Hi James

As far as I'm aware the 20 mph speed limit on Lordship Lane applies to the section between the old Police Station and Goose Green roundabout, so why does it say 20mph on the reverse of the entry signs? There's also one on the junction of Mount Adon Park and Lordship Lane, sure there are others too.

I disagree, bobbsy - standard 20mph aside from non-residential main, arterial roads is great.

Average speeds in London are less than 20mph anyway and additional urban journey times estimated at anywhere between 20 - 40 seconds. The impact on safety and outcomes of collisions with pedestrians significant - 7 times more likely to survive at 20mph than 30 mph. (I got this from the Edinburgh Council FAQs http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk//download/downloads/id/3647/20mph_faq and the "20's plenty website" http://www.20splentyforus.org.uk/FAQ_on_20mph.htm

Obviously both selling the idea hard, but I find it convincing.

I agree that implementation has felt a bit scattergun.

That's probably right, average speeds in London are <20, but that was including 30mph zones...so now the average will fall further.

Please don't get me wrong - for non-main roads, I have no problem with 20mph. But for main thoroughfares, I believe 30mph is appropriate. I would rather see a 30mph limit enforced, than a 20mph limit consistently ignored.

James, I think I understand your meaning. Different residents will have different opinions. I obviously have the contrary opinion to many.

During peak hours, speed limits are basically irrelevent anyway, but during quiet times I would appreciate being able to travel with a 30mph limit.

With blanket 20mph limits, what incentive do drivers have to travel to and use main roads? I could see an incease of traffic through smaller (more) residential roads - which I what I would prefer not to happen.

Hi bobbsy,

That is one of my concerns. if all roads are 20mph then how do we discourage rat-running?

20mph is a great principle but without phyiscal measures or not being applied universally a blunt instrument with unintended consequences. I'm afriad I don't have all the answers to allay these concerns....yet!

Hi James,

A while back I asked about the works going on on Overhill Road. Conway have been replacing the old Tarmac paths with new paved ones. Work seems to have stopped though barriers and a Conway container are still in place. Are the paths due for replacement on the whole street? And why the delay? Additionally, are there plans to relay the road itself? The state of it at the moment is atrocious. When you have time, it would be good to know. Thanks.

joom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi James,

> A while back I asked about the works going on on

> Overhill Road. Conway have been replacing the old

> Tarmac paths with new paved ones. Work seems to

> have stopped though barriers and a Conway

> container are still in place. Are the paths due

> for replacement on the whole street? And why the

> delay? Additionally, are there plans to relay the

> road itself? The state of it at the moment is

> atrocious. When you have time, it would be good to

> know. Thanks.

Yes, I second this!

Hi joom, Helbel65,

Which bit of Overhill Road? Due to meetings tonight and tomorrow night I wont get a chance before Thursday evening to visit.

Yesterday I reviewed all the highway maintenace plans Southwark have for the next 3 financial years: http://jamesbarber.mycouncillor.org.uk/?p=2890

I spotted what appears lots of duplication implying for the whole borough potentially another ?1M to reallocate for highway renewals.

WRT Overhill Road. Southwark Council current plans are for 40m of footway between Belvoir Road and Underhill Road will have some minor work done in financial year 2017/18. No other plans stated for Overhill Road.

Each ward also has around ?33,000 each year to allocated for highway repairs. So worth highlighting to council officers and ward councillors that you'd like them to spend it on Overhill Road.

Hi Siduhe,

Not directly as the decision around the cycle contraflow hasn't been taken.

BUT council officers may have served notice to say they're expecting to carry out works and that often triggers utility companies to undertake works before new road layouts make such planned work more expensive to carry out.

Thanks James, the work currently going on is between Belvoir and Underhill Road, though it certainly hasn't reached Underhill yet. The condition of the road itself is so bad, all along the sides there are great big gaps between the surface and the kerb which makes parking a nightmare. There's a pothole on the last hump at the underhill road end that has caused us a puncture in the past. If you could point me in the right direction as to who to contact if be more than happy to get in touch. If you could visit yourself that would also be great.

Ha - fourth time lucky !

"Southwark Labour introduced new rules that all new dropped kerbs must have 2 metres (6?6″) of double yellow lines both sides of them.That means that the dropped kerb reduces on street parking by one car length and 2 x 2m = by another car length of parknig removed with each dropped kerb. Ouch!

Last night at the Dulwich Community Council we had 4 such dropped kerbs to approve. I persuaded the committee that this Southwark Labour Council rule is silly. That if we must have double yellow lines they should be abslutely minimised. I?m grateful that all three parties agreed we should recommend 0.5m of double yellow lines OR the decision comes back to the committee to be looked at again with an officer to explain the minutae of these rules.

Fingers crossed this is the first step to getting more sensible dropped kerb and double yellow lines policies in place."

Great news that dropped kerb applications are being considered at Community Councils .

Do you know whether applications will be treated like other planning applications and neighbours consulted ?