former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Thanks Abe, have had a look and posted comments on the M&S site.

I am baffled that James appears to have absented himself from recent discussions. He knows how concerned locals are and, note, it was he that first introduced the mammoth M&S thread where he was very involved. It is more puzzling that he has found time to comment on the proposed re-routing of roads in Bellenden, outside his ward, criticising local Councillors for staying quiet on the subject.

I am baffled that James appears to have absented himself from recent discussions

Mr Barber is normally assiduous in responding to posts on this forum, but hasn't posted since 17th February - and there have been a number of topics on which he would normally post. I would suggest that before he is taken to task about non response we should assure ourselves that there is no legitimate reason (such as ill health or holiday or work absence) which would be preventing him from participation, something he has never shied from in the past. We are lucky that he and other councilors are prepared to use this forum and (very frequently) offer good help and advice. Regular readers will know that I am not (always) a fan, but we should be prepared to cut him some slack. He has no legal or even moral obligation to respond to us on demand.

Yes, accept all your points and indeed James is not our only Councillor, but he is the only one that uses the forum on a regular basis.

I have no personal beef with James at all, there are times he comes up trumps. However, this particular issue is frustrating when important decisions are imminent and James has expressed reservations about the fourth storey and the developer's 'salami slicing' tactics. I am not aware of other Councillors commenting on it at all.

Still, I will as you suggest,cut him some slack.

richard tudor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Cllr Barber is not the only Ward Cllr.

What I should have added if Cllr Barber is otherwise engaged the other Cllrs should take up the slack and respond.

One will never post and the other will only post when it scores points.

Thought they were all elected to look after the ward.

Hi uncleglen,

Yes, people do have to apply for disabled parking bays. It isn't a quick process. Currently local councillors via the Dulwich Community Council are consulted. This is now proposed to be removed and a councillor from outside the area will decide from Tooley Street, SE1.

Hi Coolbananas, KK,

People can seek to place such portaloos on the public highway. But usually this is because they have no space on site. This is a massive site with existing toilets and no residents So I would expect them to properly project plan the site so they don't need portaloos. I'll ask officers what we can do to ensure they minimise the chaos local residents have been experiencing - late illegal building works have unsurprisingly left a bad taste in many mouths.

Hi Richard,

Private road. I would imagine the owner of the road doesn't need TMO to place such double yellow lines.

My understanding is the council would need to issue a Traffic Management Order to enable legal enforcement by the Police, etc.

So can you park there I guess yes. But as the road isn't maintained using any public money then morally I would suggest you don't. Equally the owner could introduce a gate and lock you in if you used it. They could block you in by parking a vehicle. Doubt the Police would want to get involved. I would suggest life is too short for the potential hassle. And across East Dulwich you can usually find somewhere else to park.

Curious which private road you're thinking of? Railway Rise?

richard tudor Wrote:

> If a private road puts down double yellow lines

>

> A. who is responsible for painting them on the

> road and does Southwark make a charge if they do

> it.

>

> b. Is permission required from Southwark to do so

>

> c. Is a TMO required to be posted

>

> I look forward to you answer

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi Richard,

> Private road. I would imagine the owner of the

> road doesn't need TMO to place such double yellow

> lines.

> My understanding is the council would need to

> issue a Traffic Management Order to enable legal

> enforcement by the Police, etc.

> So can you park there I guess yes.

So how is that different from someone parking in your (private) drive without your permission?

James,

There seem to be a pretty big shortage of afterschool care places in at least two of the primary schools in ED. Is there a central policy/strategy on afterschool care in ED or Southwark, or does this fall outside of the agenda of the councillors? Are you aware of any afterschool clubs that have spare spaces? In the school where my kids are, I was told there were 40 kids on the waiting list currently.

I have PMd you in regards to this twice but no response so it would be great to hear your thoughts.

Rather than 'by permission', I think they have right of access to their property, so not quite the same as a private driveway.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> It's used presumably by permission of the owners

> of the road. It's like I could say that Fred and

> his friends can use my drive but you can't. You

> might not like it, but there you go.

Hi Chazzle,

My understanding is that the builders yard and customers have rights to travel along Railway Rise but not to stop on it. It is a private road maintained at the expense of the owner. But the coalition government removed the rights of private wheel clamping which has made it much harder for the owners of such roads to discourage illegal parking.

Hi Jamma, Mrs D,

I'll find out and come back to you. Im on holiday from Saturday so welcome back to you week commencing 28 March.

Hi DB&B,

Let me find out. When the Alleyn Park sorting office closed for parcels to be collected we weren't able to stop the but that was about 7 years ago and a number of legal changes around such services have occurred.

James

Southwark Council, as you know from the papers that you have referenced, are taking back powers of decision from the Dulwich Community Council.

How do we get sight of that change (seems to be a closed circulation communication to Cllrs) and how do we make Dulwich people aware of how we can respond to this change to Southwark Council - ie Peter John as Leader or via our Cllrs?

Mockingbird, was there an item about the Dulwich Quietways and the Dulwich Village junction or was that item deferred because of the extension of the consultation? Was a briefing paper handed out??

I can help on that Robin.

There was an RA Quietway deputation and Matt Hill gave an update on the Quietways consultation. He said that no decision will be taken on the Quietway before the June DCC and that the consultation continues until midnight on 20th March. There is a paper that I can send to you ? too large to load. Matt said that the Southwark Cabinet agreed the final route in June 2015 so he views the route is fixed and the consultation will inform the list of features that will be implemented on this route.

Dulwich Cycling Improvements ? Progress Report. Matt also gave a brief update but there was no discussion on it and it will be used to inform future transport planning. A hard copy paper was made available at the DCC if you wish to see that too.

Hi Mockingbird,

Yes, Southwark Labour have plan to further centralise decision making and neuter community councils.

First it was removing local planning powers, then fewer meetings, then removing power to appoint local school governors, now make only 2 meetings year when community council will make any decisions. The remaining fewer meetings will be solely talk shops.

How to influence this. Attend the next Dulwich Community Council. Email your local councillors. Write letters to local newspaper. Tweet, blog etc about it.

I can see that some wards councillors really aren't interested in making such decisions. So perhaps a two speed or multi speed approach. Those areas with engaged residents snd councillors having the budget and deciding how to organise their meetings within he budget available.

I'm now on holiday for a week. Don't have too much fun without me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James

Hope you had a great holiday.

I am having problems with the recycling people chucking my small brown bin into my small front garden after emptying it, and each week aiming it at the same place and breaking more and more off the same terracotta pot and flowers.

This has been going on for four weeks now, despite the fact that there is a clear and separate place where my bins including this bin are kept.

I have emailed you about it, as I want to complain to the council, but I wonder whether anybody else is having similar problems?