former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

James, I was gutted to hear that you lost your seat. I have never been as aware or impressed by a local politician and am sorry that on this occasion your hard work and dedication was not recognised. Thank you for everything you have done for East Dulwich and I hope to have the opportunity to vote for you again in future.

Thank you everyone for the kind messages here, emails, phone calls, etc. They're all appreciated. Thank you.

It has been an amazing privilege to represent the citizens of East Dulwich. Thank you for those twelve amazing years.

Thankfully we live in a democracy and Labour ran a better campaign.

I wish the new Goose Green and Dulwich Hill ward councillors good fortune representing the area. I hope they do a great job - there is so much that needs to be improved.

I'm spending the weekend working through casework and getting it all to a sensible position before my council email gets switched off late Monday afternoon.

I still have a number of local projects I've started and responsible for whether a councillor or not that I will see through.

A little bit of silver lining - I will get to have s summer free of guilt that I've not helped people enough - as a conscientious councillor there is always something more you feel you could do.

Best wishes, James

former Liberal Democrat councillor for East Dulwich

It is sad to see James have lost his position as councillor, he was regularly on the forum taking queries and trying to sort things out/improve things for residents.

For those who voted for a one party state, it means their is no longer any opposition so they will do as they please. They are supposed to represent and be accountable. What has been voted for is not democracy, it's a dictatorship.

dbboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For those who voted for a one party state, it

> means their is no longer any opposition so they

> will do as they please. They are supposed to

> represent and be accountable. What has been voted

> for is not democracy, it's a dictatorship.

Eh?

Good luck, James. You've been a credit to East Dulwich. Ridiculous that such a hard-working councillor gets voted out.

But, as they say, the great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.

I wanted to add another to the long list of thank you's to James...

I've always felt represented by a councillor that had a very protective view of East Dulwich and its residents. The long-term view that you and Rosie have held in terms of planning and protection of our high street particularly resonated with me as I live on it. You've always had a highly visible presence, both online and on the street.

Hope that you enjoy a lovely calm summer! Thank you for everything you've done for us.

Norma

Penguin68 Wrote:

> Just to remind everyone, many of the constituents

> that James worked for are no longer in the ward

> for which he was standing. Many of the

> constituents in that ward had not had James as an

> elected representative - to them he was an unknown

> quantity, so they voted for the party (and their

> policies), not the man. James' result is not

> necessarily any reflection of an ungrateful

> electorate, and he should not (and I'm sure won't)

> take it in that way.

Says it all really - I'm mainly Labour but ward changes can take away all your good work in one fell sweep :( But when life deals you Lemons ...

Anyway Good Luck James.

Hi John,

Almost all the work I'm proud in still exists - new primary and secondary schools that we initiated and led campaigns and largely made possible by acquiring the land. oodles of crime prevention, New Grove Vale library this September, Dulwich Leisure Centre modernisation, even the pelican crossings on Lordship Lane. Many other less obvious improvements me and my lot made happen many while in opposition.

James

I want to thank you as well as the many hundreds and possibly thousands of parents whose children will enjoy an outstanding new secondary school (even though we wanted HABS).

Was great working with you on the committee and although not a lib dem voter by nature (and actually not in goose green ward even though its round the corner) i thought you were a great help to the community.

Best of luck with all you do in the future!

Hi charity007,

That was a good campaign and the permanent school - The Charter School East Dulwich - opens on its permanent site this coming January.

Best bit for me was obtaining the land being the first ever successful 'Right to Contest' the Dulwich Hospital land that had been idle for 25 years.

Funniest was squeezing so many people into my dining room for the first parents supporters meeting.

Expanding on my comment: As I walk the streets of "ED" I see what you championed everywhere. I've lived here long enough to know and appreciate and attribute correctly. You changed the living environment for the better and I am sorry to see you go.

Hi Spider69,

I have some more information about this.

"

We are installing drop kerbs at various points along the recently resurfaced footways.

The distance to each one should be reasonable and generally they will line up with a pathway or point of interest on the other side of the carriageway.

"

Regards James.

spider69 Wrote:

> Dulwich Park kerbs

>

> I asked one of the workmen this morning about

> this.

>

> The kerbs have been raised to stop the pavements

> from flooding which apparently was happening all

> the time. They have also been been raised to stop

> vehicles from driving on the pavement and knocking

> people down.

>

> I take this to include all types of wheeled things

> going out of control.

James Barber Wrote:

> I'm spending the weekend working through casework

> and getting it all to a sensible position before

> my council email gets switched off late Monday

> afternoon.

> I still have a number of local projects I've

> started and responsible for whether a councillor

> or not that I will see through.

> A little bit of silver lining - I will get to have

> s summer free of guilt that I've not helped people

> enough - as a conscientious councillor there is

> always something more you feel you could do.

>

> Best wishes, James

> former Liberal Democrat councillor for East

> Dulwich

James - thanks for your effort. There is no doubt you were dedicated to your cause and had to make many difficult decisions along the way. Not an easy job to judge everyone's hopes and expectations and you did it well.

Agreed. James Barber you have been fab. I have voted specifically for you each relevant election. You have been an amazing support for years. Even if I haven?t needed you, I?ve known who you were, how to reach you and that you would do your best to assist with anything I spoke to you about. Enjoy your summer. You will be missed.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> James Barber Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > I'm spending the weekend working through

> casework

> > and getting it all to a sensible position

> before

> > my council email gets switched off late Monday

> > afternoon.

> > I still have a number of local projects I've

> > started and responsible for whether a

> councillor

> > or not that I will see through.

> > A little bit of silver lining - I will get to

> have

> > s summer free of guilt that I've not helped

> people

> > enough - as a conscientious councillor there is

> > always something more you feel you could do.

> >

> > Best wishes, James

> > former Liberal Democrat councillor for East

> > Dulwich

>

> James - thanks for your effort. There is no doubt

> you were dedicated to your cause and had to make

> many difficult decisions along the way. Not an

> easy job to judge everyone's hopes and

> expectations and you did it well.