former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Some good news.

For some time I've been giving officers examples of Lordship Lane needing to be resurfaced. We even allocated much of our devolved highway renewals budget to a section of Lordship Lane fro resurfacing.

This council year it has been agreed to resurface most of Lordship Lane between Goose Green and the south Circular. Still some ommitted sections that I think need to be included - that That's the good news. The bad news it will be highly disruptive. So I have asked that this occur during August school holidays. Fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

Old habits die-hard...street party road closures:

Saturday 23 June

- Goodrich Road,

Sunday 24 June

- Archdale Road, Hollingbourne Road, Melbourne Grove (northern section)

Sunday 1 July

- Tarbert Road, Winterbrook Road

Sunday 8 July

- Bawdale Road

Hope they all go really well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi precious star,

A group of local people including small businesses contacted me to say they were interested in brightening up the entrance ot East Dulwich from East Dulwich station.

Seprperstely I had applied for some money via the cleaner Greener Safer scheme for the same location - the borders then between South Camberwell and East Dulwich wards - now Champion Hill and Goose green ward. The South Camberwell ward councillors didn't support such improvements - presumably being happy with how the station area looks. My then councillors colleague did allocating ?5,000.

When I heard about the group of residents I suggested we join forces and that's what're doing. They've shortlisted the potential artists and my application provided the money.

And do vote today - see other thread - by 5pm - as I'm about to do.

In the mean time the bike lockers have been moved this week, cleaning have done some tract work, wheelie bins etc have been removed that shouldn't have been there.

The uplighter that have broken for a third time Im trying to get removed and replaced with pavement slabs.

Hi alice,

You've baffled me!

Generally - tomorrow the following roads will be closed from 10.45 until midnight for residents to host street parties:

Oglander Road (Copleston to Muschamp)

Muschamp Road (Oglander to Ondine)

Ondine (Muschamp to Adys)

Adys (Ondine to East Dulwich Road)

East Dulwich Road (Adys to 64 East Dulwich Road)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Alice, I've just picked up on your post (I've also been away a couple of weeks and hadn't noticed it as It's on James' thread). Just to point out I'm a Peckham Rye Ward Councillor and so I don't decide on CGS decisions for other wards (except there may be cross ward discussion of funding of items/projects at ward boundaries/affecting residents of neighbouring wards.

Thanks

Renata

East Dulwich Councillor, can you help us with trying to stop use of plastics, creating a sea change to help our community with the plastic plague we face on our own streets. 65 pieces of non-biodegradeable plastic along whateley road. It's shameful and saddening in the same breath.

Picking up one piece a walk out is not good enough any more. We have to start action and we have to start it now before the world we bequeath our children disappears under a mountain of plastic and pollutants.

Can you help?

Hi Habitualbridesmaid,

I think it is beholden on all of us to avoid buying things with excess packaging. Reduce. Vote with our consumer purchasing power.

Where we do generate waste we need to maximise what we recycle and separate it properly.

We need to support campaigns such as Friends of the Earth who give useful advice -https://friendsoftheearth.uk/latest/plastics

Depressingly recycling in Southwark is going down - see attached - and it isn't a hot political potato. You could run street stalls, raise petitions, etc to get this pushed up the local agenda. It is now so low on the political agenda that virtually everything not recycled is being incinerated causing air pollution issues!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James,

Please could you advise if there is anyone to contact for an update re the metal fencing running alongside Dulwich Hamlet?

Schools are due to go back shortly and the nights are getting darker. It is going to be even more of a nightmare squishing cyclists and pedestrians together on dimly lit path.

• 2 weeks later...

Very exciting the new Grove Vale Library is to open shortly. If you'd like to help decide the books it stocks go here - www.southwark.gov.uk/grovevalelibrary

I came up with the idea of incorporating a library in 18-22 Grove Vale development. I ensured the new library will have a 125 year lease on a peppercorn rent of ?100 per annum releasing the ?25,000 rent paid at the current Grove Vale location is released for longer opening hours. The new library will also have lower running costs being super insulated, etc. Sadly it has taken 8 years longer than originally planned due to the 2008 Labour recession.

Hi Pecksniff,

Sadly you've just missed the consultation on the internal fit out and book purchases. Importantly the new library wont have a wall down the middle so will have much more flexibility - the central book cases will be on wheels so they can be moved about. The caf? is really a kiosk with the seating area being roughly twice the current seating area. Overall it should result in roughly twice the current books.

I suspect it will feel like the John Harvard Library on Borough High Street - just not so big.

The approved scheme is for 250m2. The difference I understand is for Library staff facilities. The current 144m2 I believe includes Library staff facilities.

Hi colville09,

My lot warned the then Labour government we would have a crash, repeatedly. We were told Labour had 'ended boom and bust' and ignored. The tories were equally complicit in not wanting stronger banking regulation which could have avoided it. No recession in western countries Sweden and Australia; non western China, India, Brazil. i.e. countries with stronger banking regulations.