former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

It may be worth remembering that a reasonable proportion of James' former constituents 'lost' him as a function of the boundary changes, rather than the election itself. It may be that this loss of personal vote (see a comment above about a 'natural' labour voter voting for him) did not assist his chances. As it wouldn't any previous 'incumbent' in a significantly changed ward. This does not make the ward changes thus a bad thing, but it may show how performance of individuals transcends natural voting patterns. That he got people who wouldn't have voted for his party to vote for him is a fine testament to his even-handed (and frequently non-partisan) approach to local government. And his diligence and hard work.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Good morning James.

>

> I am so sorry to read the results of the local

> elections this morning. You have done a huge

> amount for East Dulwich over the years and it will

> be a huge loss for the community without you

> fighting our corner.

>

> I only hope your succesor will put in a fraction

> of the effort you have over the years. Thanks for

> all you have achieved and best wishes for the

> future

Totally agree with this. Thank you James for the support and work you have put in.

Echoing above, sorry to hear you go James, you have set a high bar and a tough act to follow. Remember a number of occasions you have assisted me with issues and it was very much appreciated

All the best

Calsug

I?m genuinely shocked and saddened by this result. What more does this electorate want from a councillor? I?m increasingly thinking democracy is overrated!

Thank you James for your fabulous work and legacy in East Dulwich.

Just wanted to add my thanks for all that you have done as my councillor, i'm genuinely sorry to see you go James. Not a Lib Dem supporter but i've always voted for you and this feels like a huge loss for us.

Wishing you all the best.

I just don't understand.

Have lived in ED since 1980 and we've never, ever had a councillor that has worked as hard, as passionately and engaged as much with the local community as you, James.

Am sad, shocked, angry and confused in equal measure,

I call for a recount!

I'd also like to thank you for all you have done and can't begin to count the number of improvements you've directly been involved in the local area.

Thanks James for all your hard work and input in the good , bad and indifferent changes to the area . Always found you willing to engage in conversation even if some of the topics were challenging. Wishing you all the best and hope your successor is similarly proactive, only time will tell.

I am so gutted by this news. I never even really understood what a councillor did or could do until I moved to East Dulwich in 2010 and encountered James and his passion for this area and for making it better. He's always replied to my emails and messages on here so quickly and with genuine interest and enthusiasm. A real loss, whichever party you support at national level. Thanks so much, James, and I wish you well!

Dear James, I too am very sad that you were not re-elected. Well - shocked, actually. I come from a background where we voted for the person with the best attributes, not the party. I hold you in very high regards - you have always behaved ethically, promptly and effectively with your constituents. As said above, you have set the highest bar and tbh I look forward to you being welcomed back at the next election.

Thank you for your work on my behalf - I have never experienced such a rapid and effective resolution to a problem with Southwark Council.

Kind regards

Trish Cummings

Just to remind everyone, many of the constituents that James worked for are no longer in the ward for which he was standing. Many of the constituents in that ward had not had James as an elected representative - to them he was an unknown quantity, so they voted for the party (and their policies), not the man. James' result is not necessarily any reflection of an ungrateful electorate, and he should not (and I'm sure won't) take it in that way.

How dispiriting. I've never been unhappier with the contents of a .pdf than the results announcement I downloaded this morning.

Thank you for your commitment to the grinding drudge work of local government, James. You will be much missed.

Your successors were invisible round my way until the last week of canvassing, and I've just made the mistake of looking them up on twitter. Selfie after inane selfie, glassy-eyed with intersectional zeal. One of them is about twelve.

I'm off to the allotment.