former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Hi terrig,

Further update on resurfacing Underill hill Road received on Friday:

"

Dear Councillor Barber

Thank you for your email.

Please see the attached photos of the location. A works order was raised for the temporary repair of the identified potholes which should have been completed by close of play today. A permanent patch repair will be required which will encompass an area of approximately 3.5m x 10m. However, in order to carry out these works, the junction of Barry Road would need to be temporarily closed.

Underhill Road is currently programmed to be resurfaced in the forthcoming financial year. This will be subject to a comprehensive site review to determine the full extent of the resurfacing work. At this time, I can not state categorically that the section around the junction with Barry Road would be included but obviously if this is the case then a patch repair would not be economic at this time. I will consult with the Transport Projects team to determine if the assessment of Underhill Road can be brought forward.

Regards

"

section referred to is just other east of Underhill Road/ Barry Road junction.

terrig Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks James. I wish a proportionate amount of

> money, time and effort would go into mending the

> potholes on large stretches of Underhill Road

> between Friern Road and as far as Harris primary

> on Lordship Lane. A major traffic route for cars,

> cyclists and the P13 bus, and it?s like driving

> down a farm track in parts, and really dangerous

> cycling as there are so many holes to try and

> avoid.

I'm commenting on Alan Medic's question yesterday (above) on what happens to our recycling. I too would like to know. I have twice been on a guided tour of Southwark's Recycling centre and I still don't know. As residents, we used to sort our recycling ourselves into glass, paper etc. but we now have to throw it all in together and it's sorted by a mostly automated system at the Recycling centre. I thought that by visiting the Recycling Centre I would find out where it ends up, but all I saw was it being sorted, using a huge amount of electricity to run conveyor belts, air blowers etc, in order to achieve what we used to do ourselves, manually. It's a sorting centre. They were showing films on how new products can be made from waste products, but nothing at all about how Southwark's is used. All I could find out about precisely where our Southwark recycling ends up and what it's actually used for, is that the cardboard is shipped to China to make new product packaging.

Hi kiera,

On my visits they demonstrated separating out the recycling blue wheelie bin stuff. The then related how they then sold those materials on but are also developing markets for it. Aluminium and steel, glass are all obvious. But I remember a big pile of milk bottle tops separately out waiting to be sold.

Who they sell it to and where it is taken I do not know.

Anything not put aside to be recycled now going to the South East London Combined Heat and Power site (SELCHP) just across the border in Lewisham and is incinerated.

Attached is a graph of the recyclngi rates over recent years. Depressingly the rate of recycling is going down again.

James, can you tell me if Westminsters application to turn Mandela Way into a parking depot for there rubbish trucks was approved. I can see there is concern if this goes ahead, I cannot find any update,

Thanks.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9442

Sorry James, know this is not. Particularly ED but I

believe Veolia have started operating out of this depot now,Cllr David Harvey-the city of Westminster cabinet member for enviroment, sport and community has stated this is in line with acprevious agreed planning ermission in 2009, which they withdrew.

I find this situation with Westminster being the landlords of another councils (and its own I believe) private waste/recycling companies depot rather confusing, without knowing there reason for withdrawing first time round.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9474

Thanks James. I think it may have been quite some time ago that you visited the Recycling centre.

'Help for Heroes' used to have wheelie bin collection points for milk bottle caps in the recycling centre, but when I last took a bagful of milk bottle tops there, the staff took them from me and flung them in the ordinary waste, saying they were no longer collecting them.

What I saw on my tours of the centre, was small items like bottle caps, although they are made of recyclable plastic, being sifted out on the conveyor belts and sent for incineration with the ordinary waste. Contaminated recyclables are also wasted - the biggest cause of contamination being food waste left in containers, milk left in milk bottles etc.. They also had to take out by hand and waste all the carrier bags people put in their recycling bins, as they don't recycle carrier bags.

I don't think they give residents anywhere near enough information about how the recyclables are used - it's all very vague. You say glass is obvious, but I don't consider it is. Residents used to have to separate the different colours, but now they all go in together, so what is it used for now? - presumably not for new glass containers. And paper - is it made into products which can again be recycled, such as stationery or newspapers, or something which can't, like toilet rolls or cat litter?

As China is discontinuing taking other countries' rubbish, do you know what effect that's going to have?

Hi Kiera,

it was a couple of years ago helping take a group of scouts.

Looks like I'll have to go again.

Recently introduced carrier bag recycling - but not when a carrier bag stuffed full of stuff and then tied up.

Agree on the information front. The current administration is happy things are recycled or incinerated declaring nothing going to landfill. Kind of missing the point that incineration isn't a good thing but a less bad thing.

China will lower prices for recyclables at least in the short term. But transporting it half way across the world was never a sustainable solution.

Hi TE44,

That is disappointing news. In planning terms if their is any paper work stating the council was minded to grant approval then they could be bullish and press ahead and apply for retrospective permission. If permission was refused that paperwork would quite possibly mean they'd win on appeal. Also having buses based there leaving at odd hours has set a precedent for storing vehicles.

That whole area is planned for redevelopment as part of the Old Kent Road Special Planning Document - party to fund the Bakerloo line being extended in that direction. So the land will worth a great deal more and Westminster keeping vehicles there will mean they're involved in maximising their land value increase.

But clearly it leaves a bad taste in another borough when they're being used to store emotive rubbish trucks.

should it be agreed on about what it should be with the other tenant?

I would have thought that regular use of common space would have to be agreed with the Landlord. Depending on that use, it may well impact issues such as fire safety - as well as being use of space not being paid for in the rental (because it would be exclusive use, clearly, when common space is for shared use, reflected in the rental charge). A common hallway is normally an exit route - so bikes etc. would possibly impede safe exit in case of emergency. It might additionally be a courtesy to discuss such use with other tenants using the space, but not surely a requirement?

Hi James

Do you know if there are any plans to resurface Nutfield Road? Most of the surrounding roads have been done - Frogley, Archdale, Lacon etc and condition of Nutfield is very poor in places.

Thanks

Wooly

As a candidate for Goose Green Councillor and current East Dulwich Councillor, James, I have attached a photo of one of the Dulwich Baths class studios. The photo shows the history of wasted money in trying to regulate temperature.

All the building needs are windows that open in the studios. Instead as the years have gone by money has been spent with no result but frayed tempers and class conflict resulting most recently in the accumulation of comic errors including:

huge air-conditioning machines and fans as seen in the picture. The noise of the machines means they are not used during class.

Light reflecting film stuck to the windows. The studio temperature remained the same and now it is so dark the lights are on on sunny days.

A window has been boarded with a ventilating hole

All the rooms need are windows that open. That's it.

Hi wondering what's happening with the air con repairs at Dulwich Leisure Centre. I was in studio yesterday and it was boiling. They had portable fans but they make so much noise that the music had to be turned up it's deafening. This problem has been going on since last year year so what's holding up the repairs?

Hi James

Could you take a look at the thread on pavements in Dulwich Park? As part of the resurfacing, the kerbstones have been reset at normal kerb level rather than the virtually flat state they were in before. However, there are no dropped kerbs anywhere along the run. Anyone with a wheelchair or heavy buggy who fancies a sit down, will have very little chance of getting to a bench without struggling or leaving their companion sitting in the carriageway. The workmen are still there - is there any chance of getting them to re-drop a few kerbs every 100m or so?

BT Openreach have stated they'll fix the person hole cover on LordshipL one outside the Palmerston pub in the next 7-10 days.

Bit ridiculous to have to escalate the to the CEO of BT Openreach but it does seem to get traction.

I have had them remove from Heber Road a wire wrapped around their telegraph pole - dropped wire that dropped!

Dulwich Park kerbs

I asked one of the workmen this morning about this.

The kerbs have been raised to stop the pavements from flooding which apparently was happening all the time. They have also been been raised to stop vehicles from driving on the pavement and knocking people down.

I take this to include all types of wheeled things going out of control.

Hi James

Is the pavement replacement work on LL finished? The worst part of the street - outside the shoe shop, jade bakery etc - has not been done. It?s awful walking down that part on a rainy day. Are there plans for this to be sorted as I can?t understand why it would have been missed.

Thanks

Laura

Hi Penguinpoist,

We had a scheme two years ago ready to rollout for all those shop fronts. It required them all to agree to ensure levels for rain water to run away. Sally they didn't all agree.

So we have a strip of public pavements that isn't great and a much wider strip of private sections of pavements.

After the elections we'll try again to find a solution.

Hi James

Do you know what if anything is happening in respect of North Cross Road market - there are some 'Cars prohibited' signs up, but I thought the plan was to block the road off properly on a Saturday similar to the Christmas market.

Thank you.